PDA

View Full Version : Front end shake at 60mph

CdnJeeper
10-14-2014, 04:21 PM
I've been getting a steering wheel shake at 60mph for the past few weeks. Sometimes it is mild or sometimes it can be a little frightening. If drive a little slower or a little faster it smooths out. I rotated my tires a month or two back but I am not sure if it is caused by that or something else. It never shook before the rotation or for a week after (that I noticed).

Within the past 5000miles ive replaced brakes, front u-joints, tie rods, track bar, drag link, sway bar bushings and end links, steering stabilizer, shocks. I've inspected the track bar mount for cracks or play and didn't find either.

Curious what everyone thinks or what I should check. Could it be as simple as an out of balance tire, bent rim or my old dried out tires?

Thanks!

bluedragon436
10-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd say if it didn't really start until after you rotated the tires, I'd say try rotating them back hthe way the were just to check and see if that is what the issue is... if so then get your fronts balanced and check for any warp to the rim or irregularities to the tires such as bubbles or anything.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I would start with the tires too. It costs nothing

CdnJeeper
10-15-2014, 11:16 PM
So I rotated the tires back and the steering is definitely better, it doesn't shake as hard, but there is still a shake. However, the shake is now random. I will be driving perfectly smooth on the highway then randomly my wheel begins to shake, it will do this for a few seconds or more then it will stop. This keeps repeating and bumps do seem to influence it a bit. Any ideas?

Edit: I also want to note I don't hear any noises.. no thuds, knocks, dings, grinding.. nothing. On acceleration from a dead stop I sometimes get a clunk from the back of the jeep but never the front.

4.3LXJ
10-15-2014, 11:21 PM
How old are your tires? It sounds like they may be a little out of balance. The random bounce usually indicates that. Also you might want to check them for roundness and soft spots on the tread

CdnJeeper
10-16-2014, 12:30 AM
How old are your tires? It sounds like they may be a little out of balance. The random bounce usually indicates that. Also you might want to check them for roundness and soft spots on the tread

They are very old, lots of weather cracking but the tread is really good so that's why I never changed them.

If I recall they may be from the early 2000's. Michelin LTX A/T 30x9.5x15.

XJ Wheeler
10-16-2014, 04:38 AM
They are very old, lots of weather cracking but the tread is really good so that's why I never changed them.

If I recall they may be from the early 2000's. Michelin LTX A/T 30x9.5x15.

Over about ten years they really should be replaced. Also, is that cracking in the sidewall? In the tread is fine but if the sidewall has it, that is also a reason to replace.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Cheromaniac
10-16-2014, 05:49 AM

You need to change them ASAP. Cracks in the sidewalls and in the tread will dramatically increase the risk of you having a blowout, and with your big tires a blowout could cause the vehicle to roll over.
You're putting your own life as well as the lives of occupants and other users at risk so do yourself a huge favour. :)
New tires may also get rid of the steering wheel shake.

reddragon72
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Tires.... probably but I see you left out a few things on your list.

Check upper and lower ball joints.

Also remember you have 5 u-joints up front, three on the driver shaft and one at each wheel.

Also check out your engine mounts and tranny mounts. If the tranny mount is bad it can cause any unbalance in the drive shaft to to shimmy the front end.

If you have the original steelies on there be sure to pull them off and check for rocks and debris on the inside grove. It is hard to check them without removing them. A small rock can weigh an ounce and that is all it takes to throw off your balance.

Just thought I'd chime in once a year and you are the lucky duck lol