PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunters

xj-jake
10-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Okay I know I can't be the only one freezing my tush off in the bow stand. Who bow hunts and what bow are you shooting? I'm braving mid 30 ' s this morning with my custom ordered Bowtech Invasion.

OGCollard
10-13-2014, 12:43 PM
I bowhunt. I have a PSE Surge. Have not got anything with it yet, but I spend a lot of time in the field with it!! It has been pretty warm here lately. 40's is about the lowest it has gotten.

xj-jake
10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Conditions have been varying here. Anywhere from high 50's to low 70's during the day but dipping down to 20's and 30's at night. We have a lot of crops in the fields yet and the full moon hasn't helped. It's been a tough go this fall to keep motivated due to not seeing anything. Went 3 weeks on stand without seeing anything now for the last few days I've at least been seeing deer. Patience pays.

bluedragon436
10-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Still trying to get my bow tuned in and sighted.. Then I want to try and hit up some hunting next year once I have gotten more consistent on my hits... I have a Bear Archery Legion

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-14-2014, 08:26 AM
I've got several set ups but Athens is my go to. I'm in the process of getting my Athens Exceed 300 up & going for the season but right now I'm shooting my Mathews Helim. Have been out once but will hit it hard starting this weekend. I'm a meat hunter but will shoot a buck if he's over 150", anything else usually gets a pass from me. Last year, my family (including my dad & wife's dad) put 8 deer in the freezer at my house & they were gone by June, this year I gotta do 10 & plan on getting the majority myself again this year. I'm 34 & this will be my 24th season deer hunting & 15th with a bow.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-14-2014, 08:27 AM
http://youtu.be/-8r30sELt40?list=UUpen43A4kk4spOn1bQ17fGg

xj-jake
10-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I've got several set ups but Athens is my go to. I'm in the process of getting my Athens Exceed 300 up & going for the season but right now I'm shooting my Mathews Helim. Have been out once but will hit it hard starting this weekend. I'm a meat hunter but will shoot a buck if he's over 150", anything else usually gets a pass from me. Last year, my family (including my dad & wife's dad) put 8 deer in the freezer at my house & they were gone by June, this year I gotta do 10 & plan on getting the majority myself again this year. I'm 34 & this will be my 24th season deer hunting & 15th with a bow.

I gun hunted for a few years but since I got into archery I haven't hunted deer with a gun. It's too much fun with bow and arrow. I love my Bowtech and it's an addiction. I have a Bear Truth 2 that I use for bowfishing, my Invasion for deer hunting, and I also have a Bowtech Insanity CPXL and a Constitution for target shooting.

denverd1
10-14-2014, 09:30 AM
I've got a Darton. They make cams for bear and have their own line as well. Slowly getting ready for bow season, my shoulder just isn't nearly as strong as it was. The wife is pumped to get in the stand so I'm more excited for her than anything. AND she's a crack shot with her bow. Inside of 40 yds, its gonna die!

Jonathon, I thought you'd surely be using a crossbow. doesn't look like it in the vid! great shot on a nice deer.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-14-2014, 10:11 AM
I've got a Darton. They make cams for bear and have their own line as well. Slowly getting ready for bow season, my shoulder just isn't nearly as strong as it was. The wife is pumped to get in the stand so I'm more excited for her than anything. AND she's a crack shot with her bow. Inside of 40 yds, its gonna die!

Jonathon, I thought you'd surely be using a crossbow. doesn't look like it in the vid! great shot on a nice deer.

Thanks! And no sir, no cross bows for me. I'm what they call, an arrow spitter! I have a mouth tab served into my string and I use that to draw the bow and open my mouth to release. I pull 70 lbs. maybe someday I will have to go back to a crossbow, but until then I'm gonna keep right on shooting a regular bow. The crossbow just was not bow hunting to me. It was more like gun hunting. I really prefer archery over gun hunting and I always will. I'm hoping to get more film this year.

rabies
10-14-2014, 10:51 AM
iv been wanting the hoyt element.........badly

denverd1
10-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks! And no sir, no cross bows for me. I'm what they call, an arrow spitter! I have a mouth tab served into my string and I use that to draw the bow and open my mouth to release. I pull 70 lbs. maybe someday I will have to go back to a crossbow, but until then I'm gonna keep right on shooting a regular bow. The crossbow just was not bow hunting to me. It was more like gun hunting. I really prefer archery over gun hunting and I always will. I'm hoping to get more film this year.

Thats awesome!! I saw that tab on your review of the hydronics arrow stop. Great review BTW!

did your cameraman shoot the other doe?

Hoyt Element looks legit!!

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Thats awesome!! I saw that tab on your review of the hydronics arrow stop. Great review BTW!

did your cameraman shoot the other doe?

Hoyt Element looks legit!!

Thanks bro! I really like my hydronic stop, works great. Honestly, I'm not even sure if they're still in business. Hopefully they are.

My buddy Rob shot once and missed, lol, he rarely misses and it turned out his sights were loose and had slid down. I still give him a hard time about that.

I've heard good things about the Element but never shot one.

denverd1
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Haha!!! That's what good hunting buddies do!

xj-jake
10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Hey Jon I think its great you're out there its an inspiration. I worked in the archery industry for a few years it was a blast. I do have a question though. Do you know about how much speed and KE you are loosing by having the mouth tab on your string? Just a curiosity more than anything..

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-15-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't Jake. I know out of my I'm shooting a 420 grn arrow, total weight, at 70#'s w/ 28" draw around 265 fps. Personally I don't think thats too bad out of a bow thats 330 ibo considering arrow weight, DL & string weight. Never have trouble getting passthroughs but I shoot either Magnus Stingers or Slick Tricks. I used to work as a bow tech & can set one up about as quick as anyone else. Fun job. As for me, I'm gonna keep spittin arrows until my body says no.

xj-jake
10-16-2014, 09:37 AM
That's very respectable numbers. I'm a short guy with only a 27" draw length. I shoot around 62lbs and arrows around 390-400 grains and can get about 275-280 fps if I remember right. When we would set up bows for the guys that absolutely had to have kisser buttons we'd try to talk them out of them because just a kisser would rob about 5-7 fps off the bow.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Anybody seeing any pre-rut activity yet?

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Negative. Still lots of corn standing here so it's been tough to see anything at all.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 02:50 PM
They've been hitting crops hard here last week or so, still lots of corn in. I'm gonna be out Saturday morning for sure. I'd stay out all day like normal but I got a date w/ the wife Saturday night! Starting to see a little pre-rut activity, the forkies are kinda nosing around and saw a little sparring match the other day on my way home from work. I say it'll be hot in about two weeks.

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 02:55 PM
They've been hitting crops hard here last week or so, still lots of corn in. I'm gonna be out Saturday morning for sure. I'd stay out all day like normal but I got a date w/ the wife Saturday night! Starting to see a little pre-rut activity, the forkies are kinda nosing around and saw a little sparring match the other day on my way home from work. I say it'll be hot in about two weeks.

I'm thinking later part of next week is gonna be good here. I'm lucky they're gonna start pulling corn soon.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Farm I hunt on is still mostly in, its usually the last farm the landowner gets too b/c its 8 miles from their home place. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be clean come next weekend.

denverd1
10-23-2014, 03:50 PM
hey guys, got a quick question on broadheads.

first off, mech vs fixed.
secondly, got my wife setup with a bow last year. she's damn good with it too. I'm shooting grim reaper 2" cut heads out of my 65 lb draw. she's around 30-35. I know the 2" is too big for her KE. What heads would you guys recommend? I'm thinking a fixed with smaller diameter 3 blade for simplicity and to make pass throughs a bit easier. thoughts?

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 04:02 PM
hey guys, got a quick question on broadheads.

first off, mech vs fixed.
secondly, got my wife setup with a bow last year. she's damn good with it too. I'm shooting grim reaper 2" cut heads out of my 65 lb draw. she's around 30-35. I know the 2" is too big for her KE. What heads would you guys recommend? I'm thinking a fixed with smaller diameter 3 blade for simplicity and to make pass throughs a bit easier. thoughts?

Ah yes the age old question. I prefer mechanical. The arrow travels through the air closer to how it would with a field point on it. Better consistency in arrow flight and for the most part you can practice with field points and throw a mechanical broadhead on and be shooting the same groups for the most part. The fixed blades on a broadhead can create wind planing similar to how a airplane wing works but with 3 or 4 blades fighting against each other it can create inaccuracy from one arrow to the next if your bow isn't properly tuned. Look into a Rage 40KE broadhead for her or even the new Rage Hypodermic. My girl is a crack shot with her bow too and she is shooting the Hypodermics this year along with me. Last year she shot Slick Trick heads but there was some inconsistency in hit points.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Well, these questions can get people all up in arms! lol

1)IMHO, and I've tried about everything in my many years bowhunting, fixed heads (primarily cut on contact) are far superior for penetration than mechanicals. A cut on contact, single beveled head is the ultimate in penetration and actually will roll off bone as it is rotating through the animal. If you look at what big game hunters and traditional hunters shoot you will find cut on contact heads.

2)At her weight, the best head would be a Magnus Stinger, either 2 blade or 4 in 100 grn or less. My wife shoots a 100 grn 4 blade Stinger. It is also my go to head. One of my good friends just got a 1900# bull bison & had no problem with a double lung passthrough. If Magnus doesn't end up your choice I would recommend an 85 grn Slick Trick or any good cut on contact head.

I despise mechanicals. I've used them before and don't care for the fact that they can fail and more importantly, it is much much harder to get a pass through. No passthrough on a marginal or bad shot and the less likely you'll track your game. If you put a 1 1/8" fixed head where it should go, you won't have to track.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Ah yes the age old question. I prefer mechanical. The arrow travels through the air closer to how it would with a field point on it. Better consistency in arrow flight and for the most part you can practice with field points and throw a mechanical broadhead on and be shooting the same groups for the most part. The fixed blades on a broadhead can create wind planing similar to how a airplane wing works but with 3 or 4 blades fighting against each other it can create inaccuracy from one arrow to the next if your bow isn't properly tuned. Look into a Rage 40KE broadhead for her or even the new Rage Hypodermic. My girl is a crack shot with her bow too and she is shooting the Hypodermics this year along with me. Last year she shot Slick Trick heads but there was some inconsistency in hit points.

lol, I told ya! this question, lol

if you (micro) tune your rest and nocking point to your broadheads after you've sighted in your field tips, you'll hit the same with both.

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 04:15 PM
This is something we could argue about for days honestly. Put on what you're comfortable with and enjoy being outdoors.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 04:19 PM
This is something we could argue about for days honestly. Put on what you're comfortable with and enjoy being outdoors.

I'm most comfortable in a teddy :giggle::smiley-laughing021:

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm most comfortable in a teddy :giggle::smiley-laughing021:

I'm disturbed. Yet strangely aroused... :worthlesspics:

denverd1
10-23-2014, 04:33 PM
lol!! overshare!!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6471845120/hFCAC1BE7/

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 04:34 PM
no one wants to see that Jake rofl

speaking of pics, we need to start getting some put up! I'll get some when I go this weekend.

So are you guys stand hunters, blind, spot & stalk/open ambush? I guess what I'm asking is how do you enjoy being in the woods the most? For me, its on the ground in the open. Love it and have always been successful at it.

denverd1
10-23-2014, 04:38 PM
I can whip up a ground blind in a snap. but I always feel better (less scent) when up a few feet. Do most of my hunting from well concealed ladders.

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 04:38 PM
I do a little of everything depending on what the situation, weather, how I feel, etc. I just love the fall.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 04:44 PM
You guys huntin this weekend?

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 04:55 PM

bluedragon436
10-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Can't wait to see pics of everyone's equipment and hunting setups... If I can ever manage to get mine setup and doing some consistent groups, I'd love to try my hand @ hunting.. Hopefully will be good in time for next years season!!

denverd1
10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
yep! going saturday. then wheelin sunday!

denverd1
10-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Ha! Look what I won for 60 bucks
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261628264592&alt=web

denverd1
10-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Mine
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/3f6920936dc6835ca7184609b116c8a3.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/f0a8c2cb977f1e2fa47d23a21bd197a0.jpg

denverd1
10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Hers
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/ecec1bb6c45640c88295a0c7c0b71c39.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/3f7748c34e80542ccef07135febf7707.jpg
About to replace the crappy sites on it

denverd1
10-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Ours
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/8c8b697513491198148103cd22824a89.jpg
Backyard
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/a207709b7327caf3f2758e0ffb8a1d87.jpg

denverd1
10-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Gonna pop these on her arrows
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/2125e23b5e1ddb91fe16a157b4ee126a.jpg

denverd1
10-25-2014, 04:07 PM
you guys pull any trail cam cards this am? dialing things in... gonna head out tomorrow

bluedragon436
10-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Ha! Look what I won for 60 bucks
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261628264592&alt=web

Looks like a pretty good deal you got there... So will that bring you to three bows in the collection?? Loving my bow, will keep an eye out for a used Bear Cruzer in orange in about a year or so if I can get everything lined up and my groupings more consistent with my current setup..

denverd1
10-26-2014, 01:33 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/26/f6aac4c401a66352b305010591d89eba.jpg
30 yd group

Yes that's 3. I'll likely move everything over to the new one and sell it to a friend. I need the lower draw weight until my shoulder gets stronger. I can only shoot 5 to 10 arrows before it gets tired with current bow and it's turned down as far as it can go.

bluedragon436
10-26-2014, 08:33 PM
I love my Bear bow, and even with it turned down to it's lowest draw weight, I know what you mean too with the sore shoulders and arms after a few shots... Can't wait till I get used to shooting it, as well as continue working out which will help strengthen up my arms, especially since I'd like to be able to crank it back up to it's max weight as well as be able to order the upgraded arms as well (if I don't end up purchasing the other bow I want which is already @ the higher weight the upgraded arms will take my current one up too)..

denverd1
10-27-2014, 02:35 PM
cat got yalls tongue?

anybody see anything? Get pic on camera?

Ran across this discussion of single beveled heads. Curious if you guys have any thoughts? It sounds like big game guys have been using them for decades.
Single bevel technology: Single bevel broad heads are not new technology. The first single bevel head in modern times actually hit production almost three decades ago. There are stone points found with single bevel edges! Most everyone knows that arrows rotate or spin in flight due to the fletching. But what happens at impact and beyond?

A double bevel broadhead’s rotation stops at impact. Unless it hits a hard medium such as bone etc. It does not deviate from it’s path and leaves a straight wound channel with zero rotation. This happens due to the horizontal pressure being applied to both bevels from the tissue, making them push against each other which in turn keeps the broadhead straight.

With a single bevel broadhead the arrow rotation continues at impact due to tissue pressure pushing against one bevel causing it to rotate. There are several advantages to this, but the most obvious is when the arrow penetrates bone. The bevel induced rotation tends to cause massive bone breaks, especially in heavier bone; where as a double bevel simply tries to force its way directly through.

xj-jake
10-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Busy day in paradise. Saw 2 does on Friday night and had the weekend booked up working on Jeeps the rest of the weekend. Corn started coming out which will really help in my area.

rabies
10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
man i need to get on the ball

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 10:30 AM
cat got yalls tongue?

anybody see anything? Get pic on camera?

Ran across this discussion of single beveled heads. Curious if you guys have any thoughts? It sounds like big game guys have been using them for decades.
Single bevel technology: Single bevel broad heads are not new technology. The first single bevel head in modern times actually hit production almost three decades ago. There are stone points found with single bevel edges! Most everyone knows that arrows rotate or spin in flight due to the fletching. But what happens at impact and beyond?

A double bevel broadhead’s rotation stops at impact. Unless it hits a hard medium such as bone etc. It does not deviate from it’s path and leaves a straight wound channel with zero rotation. This happens due to the horizontal pressure being applied to both bevels from the tissue, making them push against each other which in turn keeps the broadhead straight.

With a single bevel broadhead the arrow rotation continues at impact due to tissue pressure pushing against one bevel causing it to rotate. There are several advantages to this, but the most obvious is when the arrow penetrates bone. The bevel induced rotation tends to cause massive bone breaks, especially in heavier bone; where as a double bevel simply tries to force its way directly through.

Well, Saturday morning I ended up getting called into the shop to work for a few hours and Saturday night I had a date w/ my wife planned, Sunday mornings are for church & Sunday evening I was busy w/ family stuff. Whole weekend got ate up very quick. My wife knows that I'm in the woods this Saturday all day, no exceptions.

I have been studying this stuff about BH's a while & as I said last week, I think the single bevel, COC head is the best overall design. Its funny you mentioned stone heads, I have one hand knapped obsidian head left at home thats been adapted to screw in a modern arrow. Killed a doe with one two years ago & holy blood trail. That knapped obsidian is super sharp but they tend to break pretty easy if you hit heavy bone.

denverd1
10-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Well, Saturday morning I ended up getting called into the shop to work for a few hours and Saturday night I had a date w/ my wife planned, Sunday mornings are for church & Sunday evening I was busy w/ family stuff. Whole weekend got ate up very quick. My wife knows that I'm in the woods this Saturday all day, no exceptions.

I have been studying this stuff about BH's a while & as I said last week, I think the single bevel, COC head is the best overall design. Its funny you mentioned stone heads, I have one hand knapped obsidian head left at home thats been adapted to screw in a modern arrow. Killed a doe with one two years ago & holy blood trail. That knapped obsidian is super sharp but they tend to break pretty easy if you hit heavy bone.

now thats cool! It's funny how much technology we think we need. Sometimes I have to remind myself that our tribal ancestors were using sticks and rocks to hunt hundreds of years ago.

How did you come about the obsidian heads?
I was curious what they looked like
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo276/reefera4m/JM_Fire_Obsidian.jpg

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
I saw a guy making them for wooden shafts and we got to brainstorming how it could be adapted to new tech.

It looks like this kinda.https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eloxite.com%2Fstore%2Fproduct .php%3Fid_product%3D1254&ei=wzxRVK12xuagBOnUgogF&bvm=bv.78597519,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNFaBZ03K-qIU-kWI0lqYIvtLHRt7g&ust=1414696505619943 Then he slotted a glue on head adaptor and used broadhead glue to set it in the adaptor. Will get it out & take a pic after work.

bluedragon436
10-29-2014, 03:33 PM
That's pretty cool deal.. I think it'd be cool to have an old school head like that on a modern Aluminum or Carbon arrow.. For me I think it'd just be cool to have, not to take a chance of breaking it while hunting, but to hang it up and display it once I started getting a few kills.. I plan on have my first kill's head stuffed and hung up... Not every kill, but the first for sure..

xj-jake
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Johnathan you were asking about rutting sign well I walked out to the stand tonight and saw this 40 yards away.

denverd1
10-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Johnathan you were asking about rutting sign well I walked out to the stand tonight and saw this 40 yards away.

nice signpost rub!

Any of you guys using cameras? What are you favorites? maybe mine are a few years old and need to be replaced, but I keep looking forward to pulling pics off my cards and I get there to find that for some reason there are only a few pics for a variety of reasons. I've used Moultrie, primos, stealth cam and wildgame. Primos is the best IMO but they're spendy. what are you guys using?

denverd1
11-01-2014, 03:38 AM
One more for you pros. Single pin adjustable? Or fixed multi?

denverd1
11-01-2014, 03:39 AM
One more for you pros. Single pin adjustable? Or fixed multi?
Talking site setups. ..

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Sweet rub man! I haven't seen one like that yet this year. This morning I did come across a nice scrape line. I'm back to the truck and making my plan for how I want to hunt the farm the rest of the day. My boss is shelling corn on the other side but the wind has changed on me and it's all sorts of wrong for how I was hoping to hunt this buck that's running this scrape. And where the guys are running the combine the wind is wrong too. Oh well, that's the way it goes! lol

Here's a few pics of that obsidian head I mentioned and some other pics from this morning.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/14CD5605-4FF5-4B8D-8A1A-C2F083304640.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/E8BADBF0-EF4B-43DC-8E95-1293AFE7C9DB.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/9545F15D-7DF9-42B0-B897-4B087271C2E3.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/BCCB4509-96E3-4497-A719-A0A2F6EBF1A5.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/37768C87-C794-4B3D-96A4-6B565586DF64.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/1371756A-6251-4677-A818-531AB784942B.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/jruzich43/My%20Dogs/Hunting/E5AEDAEF-AA00-4AD9-A9C9-6EBCB1ACEC2A.jpg

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Talking site setups. ..

I like fixed, less to worry about and do before the shot.

xj-jake
11-03-2014, 08:34 AM
In Minnesota a moveable site is not legal for hunting. We have to use a multi pin sight.

xj-jake
11-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Well gentlemen I wish I could say I shot this MONSTER but it's not me. This buck was shot about 60 miles from where I hunt. Enjoy.

denverd1
11-07-2014, 12:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:thumbsup:
holy drop tines and kickers. how many scoreable points??? I love those crazy non-typicals with trash on every beam

xj-jake
11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I really don't know all the details of this deer but just by looking at it I'd estimate it at at least 240" gross.

autotech98
11-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Beautiful animal.now that we have a 4 point minimum for harvest hope we see some like that here in PA

xj-jake
11-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Well we don't have an antler point restriction in Minnesota unfortunately. We don't have earn a buck here either. The MNDNR actually made this years gun season bucks only with a doe permit lottery. Makes absolutely no sense to me but whatever.

autotech98
11-10-2014, 05:38 PM
our regulations seem to change every time we get a new biologist.

denverd1
11-11-2014, 09:10 AM
The MNDNR actually made this years gun season bucks only with a doe permit lottery.

Fewer bucks chasing more does = longer, weaker rut cycle means bucks will be spread few and far between. dominant mature bucks will be so busy chasing does that many does will be bred by smaller, less dominant bucks with weaker genetics, if they're bred at all, deteriorating the herd gene pool. a balanced herd is always better!

xj-jake
11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Fewer bucks chasing more does = longer, weaker rut cycle means bucks will be spread few and far between. dominant mature bucks will be so busy chasing does that many does will be bred by smaller, less dominant bucks with weaker genetics, if they're bred at all, deteriorating the herd gene pool. a balanced herd is always better!

Problem is we barely have enough bucks to breed all the does we have in the first place. I've been hunting since the middle of September 4-5 nights a week and have yet to see antler. I hunt 3 plots of land 220-280 acres each all ten miles apart.

denverd1
11-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Problem is we barely have enough bucks to breed all the does we have in the first place. I've been hunting since the middle of September 4-5 nights a week and have yet to see antler. I hunt 3 plots of land 220-280 acres each all ten miles apart.

should be shooting does only with a buck antler restriction AND tag lottery!!

xj-jake
11-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Agreed

denverd1
11-12-2014, 03:19 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTELwETjQq1sSrpaP7aI7uFo0ywhQiJu hqpA4JCqDiYiQqINMGX9A

bruggz351
11-12-2014, 03:41 PM
I suddenly have the urge to take up archery.

autotech98
11-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Me too!

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:25 PM
It's amazing what a nice set of yams will do to a guy

autotech98
11-13-2014, 02:28 PM
You are the one who posted it! Lol. :rolleyes:

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:30 PM
You are the one who posted it! Lol. :rolleyes:

oh I'm not withstanding!! love me some tatas for sure!!

autotech98
11-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Question...anyone here use a crossbow? Pa just made them legal to use and im thinking of getting one since i cant hit anything with a bow but my forearm:rolleyes:

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:33 PM
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae43/YellowLab/hot-babes-chicks-bows-arrows-archery-banneds-great-gallery05_zpsee8078d1.jpg

autotech98
11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Impressive equipment....nice bow too

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Hot-Chick-Shoots-Bow-and-Arrow-With-Feet.jpg

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:38 PM
crossbow: never shot one

autotech98
11-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Rifle season is shorter amd getting a little crowed here.

denverd1
11-13-2014, 02:41 PM
it's definitely a good way to extend your season. you'll have the place to yourself

xj-jake
11-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Question...anyone here use a crossbow? Pa just made them legal to use and im thinking of getting one since i cant hit anything with a bow but my forearm:rolleyes:

I've shot them. It's a dumbed down gun... Here you can't use them unless you are disabled, or if you are not disabled you can shoot a deer during the gun season only.

autotech98
11-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Thats the way it used to be here. I havent tried a bow since i was a kid and that was a recurve. I was thinking crossbow cause id hate to invest in a compound and find i dont like it. Non of my family or friends bowhunt so i cant even try a compound.

xj-jake
11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Any decent shop will let you shoot just about any bow you want. You can get into a decent compound for $500 or so. You're in PA right? Head to Lancaster and they will be able to help you out.

denverd1
11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
yea its more gun than bow. I wish texas would take it out of the archery category.

Ian, go to an archery shop. If no good shops, go to Academy or Gander Mtn. if you're interested, you can shoot everything they have before making a decision.

autotech98
11-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Bowhunters warehousecis right down the road ill have to go check it out. Course thats another hobby to spend money on. Although the wife wouldnt complain about a freezer full of venison

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
The crossbow was around before shouldered guns so I can't say that it's a dumbed down gun although the modern crossbow does share a lot of the same components. Although, I don't use one, it is undeniably archery tackle. I found that a compound is much easier to hunt with and more accurate with the proper training/practice. If all you can hunt with is a crossbow or its that or no hunting, I say get one and hit the woods!

xj-jake
11-14-2014, 10:54 AM
The crossbow was around before shouldered guns so I can't say that it's a dumbed down gun although the modern crossbow does share a lot of the same components.

Just add your AR-15 Lower and go shoot critters. How you been Jonathan haven't seen you around?

http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows_tac-crossbows_tac-ordnance

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Just add your AR-15 Lower and go shoot critters. How you been Jonathan haven't seen you around?

http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows_tac-crossbows_tac-ordnance

Those Tac bows are ridiculously fast. I'd really like one honestly.

Been doing good, ready to hit the woods tomorrow!! Cold here, they should be moving. What's been goin on your direction?

xj-jake
11-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Those Tac bows are ridiculously fast. I'd really like one honestly.

Been doing good, ready to hit the woods tomorrow!! Cold here, they should be moving. What's been goin on your direction?

Ditto on the cold. Woke up to 0 degrees this morning. Gonna be cold for a week or so. Dad shot a little forkhorn on Saturday morning otherwise not much. Been working, too little time to hunt especially when it's this damn cold. Maybe I'll sneak out Saturday evening.

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-14-2014, 03:08 PM
It was a paltry 15 here this morning. I absolutely love this weather. The colder the better. I like when you take a big breath and your nose hairs freeze. Oh yeah! rofl

denverd1
11-15-2014, 04:01 PM
xj-jake, what kinda capture fall-away is that? I'm tired of my biscuit making my vanes wavy. was real bad with 4" vanes, the blazers hold up a bit better but still get soft and wavy. let me know what you guys are shooting through

xj-jake
11-17-2014, 08:21 AM
xj-jake, what kinda capture fall-away is that? I'm tired of my biscuit making my vanes wavy. was real bad with 4" vanes, the blazers hold up a bit better but still get soft and wavy. let me know what you guys are shooting through

It's not really a capture but it is a drop away. It's the Limbdriver by Vaportrail. I don't use a capture and I honestly don't know why. I have used them in the past and put one of these on and never looked back. I have one on my hunting bow and on my target bows. Easy to adjust and the neat thing about them is you don't have to serve a line into your down cable on the bow. A string goes up to the top limb of the bow and when you draw the limbs come together and the rest raises. It's spring loaded to be up all the time. Not serving into the cables means you don't have to worry about the rest taking your bow out of timing.

bluedragon436
11-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Might have to look into this, as I think the biscuit I have on my bow is one of the main reasons I've been tearing feathers off.. luckily for me, it's been on cheap arrows I've been using to learn how to shoot as well as to setup my bow...

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I love my WB and rarely have my vanes come loose. I always put a drop of glue at the front & rear of each vane after I get them out of my jig.

xj-jake
11-18-2014, 10:02 AM
The glue does help a little bit but there's still the chance you can rip a vane off. Biscuits are good rests but there's a lot that can go wrong with them believe it or not. Unless your shooting form, release of the string, and follow through are perfect they can cause inconsistent arrow impact.

denverd1
11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
hmmm... I enjoy shooting all year and seems like a less intrusive rest would be a good idea. especially after a few shots when the whiskers get all confused. I know they're a fool proof rest but I may be looking at other options. Thx fellas!

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Fool proof is why I use them. Shooting with my teeth, I want to be sure my arrow isn't going anywhere. I used a drop away when I first started back to shooting again after my accident, and after having issues of the arrow falling off mid draw and while walking with an arrow nocked I just decided the WB would be my best option. So much less worry for me. As much as I'm able to, I use the KISS method. If I were to get a fall away I would get a limbdriver by vaportrail. As Jake said, they're probably the best.