PDA

View Full Version : D30 with lockout and welded spiders

denverd1
10-10-2014, 12:50 PM
So i was pontificating with some other jeepers. Jeepers with fat wallets and $40K rigs. :headbag: Lockers came up. They talk ARB and Eaton. I'm talking aussies and welding spiders. Anywho, i got to thinking about the D30 that I keep tripping on in the garage. Its a high pinion leaf spring one version with the selectable lockout.

so why couldn't I weld the spiders in it. Then use the lockout to maintain some road manners? I may not be thinking about this the right way, but seems to me I'd have a selectable locker up front? Someone point out the error in my logic. I'm at work and cant look at it.

OrangeXJ
10-10-2014, 01:21 PM
So i was pontificating with some other jeepers. Jeepers with fat wallets and $40K rigs. :headbag: Lockers came up. They talk ARB and Eaton. I'm talking aussies and welding spiders. Anywho, i got to thinking about the D30 that I keep tripping on in the garage. Its a high pinion leaf spring one version with the selectable lockout.

so why couldn't I weld the spiders in it. Then use the lockout to maintain some road manners? I may not be thinking about this the right way, but seems to me I'd have a selectable locker up front? Someone point out the error in my logic. I'm at work and cant look at it.

I see no reason why that would not work.

4.3LXJ
10-10-2014, 01:41 PM
It has been done a lot. We were doing that in the 70s

prcjeep
10-10-2014, 02:12 PM
I have thought about doing this with our 93 YJ's Dana 30 as it has the factory vacuum disconnect. Install a cable selector for the disconnect and weld the spiders and yep, boom selectable locker.

07Negative
10-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Dudes with 40K rigs. That's the price of a JK alone. Poor folks have poor ways.

abebehrmann
10-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I guess it would be like a selectable locker that automatically comes on when you put it into 4wd?

OrangeXJ
10-10-2014, 04:50 PM
I guess it would be like a selectable locker that automatically comes on when you put it into 4wd?

No you would have to get out and lock the hubs. Then the front axle is locked weather you were in 2WD or 4WD

denverd1
10-10-2014, 08:29 PM
No you would have to get out and lock the hubs. Then the front axle is locked weather you were in 2WD or 4WD
That what else I was wondering about. Would un locking hubs be necessary?

denverd1
10-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Dudes with 40K rigs. That's the price of a JK alone. Poor folks have poor ways.
O7, I'm not following you

4.3LXJ
10-10-2014, 08:35 PM
That what else I was wondering about. Would un locking hubs be necessary?

Yes, and a small PITA. If there is any pressure on the axles, you cannot unlock them. You would have to have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you do that. Once you get one unlocked, the other will unlock normally as long as it is in 2WD