PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up reverse flood light

nickyg
10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
I want to wire up a 55 watt flood light to the rear of my xj. That comes on when I put the gear selector in reverse or I can turn it on by itself with a switch.
I found a wiring diagram. but what I don't know is:
what is a 3 amp diode?
what does it do?
where can I get one?
Does it come in red?
Anybody else do this? Ideas and tips are greatly appreciated.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Nicky, you don't need to wire it up that way if you don't want. Basically a diode will not allow reverse flow of electricity. But you can also do the same thing with two relays. One for the switch and one for the wire off the NSS. Then join the outputs together off terminal 87 and go to the light. Either way will work.

P.S. In the 60s we couldn't get Sears catalogs because we lived six lightyears from the nearest Sears. But we got lots of J C Whitney catalogs. We tore all the pages out except for the Jeep parts and did something only old timers remember. Mail Order

nickyg
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Nicky, you don't need to wire it up that way if you don't want. Basically a diode will not allow reverse flow of electricity. But you can also do the same thing with two relays. One for the switch and one for the wire off the NSS. Then join the outputs together off terminal 87 and go to the light. Either way will work.

P.S. In the 60s we couldn't get Sears catalogs because we lived six lightyears from the nearest Sears. But we got lots of J C Whitney catalogs. We tore all the pages out except for the Jeep parts and did something only old timers remember. Mail Order

Thanks, I think I get what you mean. forgive my crude caveman drawing.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Works for me

downsy
10-06-2014, 09:49 PM
skip the 55 watt wasteful incandescent lights and pick up some LED Floods from Ebay or Amazon. They blow the 55 Watt incandescent lights out of water and save a lot of electricity.

The 60 degree floods I use on my roof rack on all four corners draw 27 watts each. I'm drawing a few watts less with four LEDs than with 4 incandescent and get better light output and dispersion.

nickyg
10-07-2014, 01:26 AM
skip the 55 watt wasteful incandescent lights and pick up some LED Floods from Ebay or Amazon. They blow the 55 Watt incandescent lights out of water and save a lot of electricity.

The 60 degree floods I use on my roof rack on all four corners draw 27 watts each. I'm drawing a few watts less with four LEDs than with 4 incandescent and get better light output and dispersion.

Thanks, Got a pic or a link to what u have? (I'm a very visual person)

XJ Wheeler
10-07-2014, 03:27 AM
I second the LEDs. For the size and money the output is unmatched. These are the ones I am gonna be using for reverse lights. Just keep in mind where they are pointed. Pretty blinding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-18W-CREE-Led-Flood-BeamWork-Light-Offroad-Lamp-Car-Truck-Boat-Mining-4WD-/261342703279?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd93d2eaf&vxp=mtr

Philxj4L
10-07-2014, 07:06 AM
I've one of these ready to be fitted as a reverse light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-INCH-36W-CREE-LED-LIGHT-BAR-WORK-Flood-Beam-SPOT-LAMP-OFFROAD-Truck-4x4-BF00-/281398023900?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4184a116dc

Smlxjne
10-07-2014, 02:48 PM
You could do something like this and put led bulbs in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the rubber side down

downsy
10-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Got a pic or a link to what u have? (I'm a very visual person)

Amazon.com: Genssi LED Off Road Light 4X4 Work Light Waterproof 27W 12V 6000K (60 Deg Flood): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ogn%2BdoMiL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Ogn%2BdoMiL

Had them on my roof basekt on all four corners for a bit now. Work great. And I meant earlier that all four draw just a few watts less than 2 incandecent lights.