PDA

View Full Version : Rock sliders, with or without frame stiffeners?

WhileInTheWild
10-06-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking about killing another bird with the one stone tomorrow and throwing on some Smittybilt XRC rock sliders - http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/223.htm but can't find any reliable information as to whether it is worth it without frame stiffeners or if you even need frame stiffeners with the sliders so what is the general consensus around these parts?

I'm contemplating passing on the Smittybilt and going with Detours as theirs has frame stiffeners integrated, am ordering a knucklebone from them so I could just add to the order but am having a case of the Mondays and the retail therapy with immediate gratification is tempting me.

Brasscatz
10-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Depends what kind of wheeling you're planning on. Hardcore or rocks, go with stiffeners. Easy stuff, no real need.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

WhileInTheWild
10-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Will be sticking to easy stuff, mainly established trails with the ability to handle some of the rougher stuff when the trail gives out etc, I won't be looking at doing any thing extreme so in that case are rock sliders even a good idea?

Brasscatz
10-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Absolutely. Rock sliders can help you get around trees without damaging the sides of your Jeep. Also, if you want stiffeners, even if they aren't that necessary, you can't go wrong with strengthening the unibody. So, that's completely up to you, but sliders are always useful ;)

WhileInTheWild
10-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Well I want this XJ to last a long time and be able to handle some abuse if the situation arises so I think I will invest in both, it just seems like it would be half assing it to just add sliders without stiffeners.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
That is a good route to go Jason. Always be prepared. One suggestion though, make sure your rock sliders are compatible with the frame stiffeners. You may end up getting both from the same company. the reason is that the frame stiffeners will move the sliders out about 3/16" and affect the attachment to the pinch seam on the unibody.

WhileInTheWild
10-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks, yes am looking at Detours' - http://www.detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php that has both integrated, while I was browsing their site it switched to limited availability though so am waiting to hear back from Mark to see if he can do it.

I'm very rapidly developing a case of the XJ sickness and am loving every moment of it.

bigjim350
10-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Mine gets wheeled as hard as it can be wheeled on the terrain around here. I dont have stiffeners or sliders. I do have damage to my rockers, so sliders would have helped that. Mine is a 92 and even with all the wheeling, it doesnt seem to be tweaked or anything from not having stiffeners.

Pookapotamus
10-06-2014, 08:51 PM
You will not believe the difference that the stiffeners make, really changes the way the XJ handles, and all for the better!!!

For the price of stiffeners just do it you will not be disappointed, guaranteed!

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2014, 09:04 PM
My logic is if you're gonna keep the xj for a long time do it. Over the years these chassis' will stretch and twist. Still gotta get mine installed.