PDA

View Full Version : Welcome WestSide95XJ!!!

4.3LXJ
10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi WestSide95XJ, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

WestSide95XJ
10-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I own a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, with a 4.0L I6, AW-4 auto trans, New Process NP231 transfer case with a SLE installed and a modified Ford Explorer rear driveshaft (w/ CV joints.) I put in a newer NP231 because the original TC kept jumping out of gear, and installed the slip yoke eliminator because I knew I wanted to go up higher eventually, and as long as it was apart, I might as well put a SYE on it. It's sitting on Firestone Destination M/T 33 x 12.50-15's. The tread is really aggressive, and they are noisy as the dickens on pavement. I trimmed the fenders and beat on the wheel wells to cut down on some of the tire rubbing, but I need to go up higher to clear the 33's well. It has a cheap, 1.5" hockey puck lift that the PO put on it that I am eventually going to fix. I want to go up to 3", and I'm thinking about doing a bastard pack on the rear and maybe either aftermarket coil springs up front or maybe something like coil springs out of a V-8 Thunderbird.
The paint was original black and looked ugly and chalky, so after I welded up a front winch bumper and installed a Smittybuilt 8,000 lb. winch, I did a rattle can desert camo paint job on the Cherokee in my driveway.
I've got quite a ways to go, and limited funds (of course) and I'd REALLY like to meet some Houston Cherokee Club guys and make friends. I've flagged down a couple of off-roader Cherokee owners on Westheimer, way out by Hwy 6 (I live on the west side of Houston, in Alief) but neither one of them lived in my area. I went to a couple of Houston Jeep People meetings, but again, they live way over on the other side of town from me. I went to one of their meet-ups in Atascocita and it was like 45 miles one way. I'm hoping to meet some west side Cherokee owners.

4.3LXJ
10-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Lots of Houston guys on here. I am sure they will let you know

Mudderoy
10-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I own a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, with a 4.0L I6, AW-4 auto trans, New Process NP231 transfer case with a SLE installed and a modified Ford Explorer rear driveshaft (w/ CV joints.) I put in a newer NP231 because the original TC kept jumping out of gear, and installed the slip yoke eliminator because I knew I wanted to go up higher eventually, and as long as it was apart, I might as well put a SYE on it. It's sitting on Firestone Destination M/T 33 x 12.50-15's. The tread is really aggressive, and they are noisy as the dickens on pavement. I trimmed the fenders and beat on the wheel wells to cut down on some of the tire rubbing, but I need to go up higher to clear the 33's well. It has a cheap, 1.5" hockey puck lift that the PO put on it that I am eventually going to fix. I want to go up to 3", and I'm thinking about doing a bastard pack on the rear and maybe either aftermarket coil springs up front or maybe something like coil springs out of a V-8 Thunderbird.
The paint was original black and looked ugly and chalky, so after I welded up a front winch bumper and installed a Smittybuilt 8,000 lb. winch, I did a rattle can desert camo paint job on the Cherokee in my driveway.
I've got quite a ways to go, and limited funds (of course) and I'd REALLY like to meet some Houston Cherokee Club guys and make friends. I've flagged down a couple of off-roader Cherokee owners on Westheimer, way out by Hwy 6 (I live on the west side of Houston, in Alief) but neither one of them lived in my area. I went to a couple of Houston Jeep People meetings, but again, they live way over on the other side of town from me. I went to one of their meet-ups in Atascocita and it was like 45 miles one way. I'm hoping to meet some west side Cherokee owners.

:welcome: to :xjtalk: We used to do a meet up at a Sonic in NW Houston. Bit of a drive for me, but I've been wanting to start it up again. I was thinking closer to home though, Katy. That's still a bit of a drive from Alief, used to live there.

WestSide95XJ
10-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Mudderoy--
Katy would still be a lot closer than Atascocita. I would definitely attend a meet-up anywhere on the West Side, in fact I would go to talk to XJ owners pretty much anywhere. My problem is that I have to work every other weekend. I'm working 3-11 today, in fact, but I'm off next weekend. Is there a ORV park anywhere on the west side of Houston? Spring is the closest I've found.

I am only a so-so mechanic. I have quite a few tools, I was a welder for 15 years, and I have a two-year degree as a machinist. (I went to nursing school in 1993, and I'm a male RN now. It pays a lot better.) I'm looking to make some friends who do their own work and get some mechanical experience on XJs. I rebuilt a Harley back in the 1980s, and I used to do all my own wrenching on my 1966 Dodge Power Wagon, but it was a MUCH SIMPLER vehicle. (I should have NEVER, EVER sold that truck. I bitterly regret that foolish decision to this day.) As old as it is, my '95 XJ has more computers than they used on the space ships they used to go to the moon, and when something goes wrong it is a super hassle to figure out what the problem is.

BTW, any idea where I could find a OBD I defect reader? I can get OBDII readers from Northern Tool and Harbor Freight, among others, but nobody sells OBD I readers any more, at least, if they do I haven't found one.

If you decide to start up a meet on the West Side, count me in. In fact, I know of a couple of great potential meet-up places. There are two major 4x4 businesses on Westheimer, a few miles from where I live--4 Wheel Parts at 13820 Westheimer, and Off-Road Unlimited at 14144 Westheimer. Both of them have big parking lots, and Off-Road Unlimited is in a mostly vacant strip shopping center with lots of empty space. I bet either one (or both) would be glad to allow us to meet there. I went to a HJP Meet-and-Greet at the 4 Wheel Parts place on the South Loop and it was a lot of fun.

XJ Wheeler
10-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the site! We do have a good amount of local (for me and you) members. I'm up in Conroe so a ways from you. I think a meet up is a great idea. Although Katy is pretty far for us. Anyways, glad ya joined us here and throw up a pic of that '95 when ya can!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.