PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with the Curt Roof Mounted Cargo Rack?

WhileInTheWild
10-03-2014, 01:36 PM
It seems to get good reviews and should be heavy duty enough to handle anything I would want to throw up there and as cool as a rooftop tent looks it just doesn't seem like something I'd want to use much so that isn't a concern.

It would mainly be for camping gear along with the mod for PVC water storage for showers + hosing down and a roll out awning eventually so would something like the Curt be suitable or do I really need to sell a kidney and get one from the likes of Frontrunner?

Link: Amazon.com: Curt 18115 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LzjiGsajL.@@AMEPARAM@@41LzjiGsajL

4.3LXJ
10-03-2014, 01:46 PM
It looks like a nice rack, but remember you will limited with how much weight those factory cross bars will hold up

WhileInTheWild
10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Hmmm so that would be 150lb minus the weight of the rack + extension so that would only leave about 100lb, that isn't really that much to play with so maybe I do need to sell a kidney after all.

abebehrmann
10-03-2014, 02:25 PM
You could get some of these to add on. I think it would increase load capacity. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-Parts-Car-Care/Rain-Gutter-Mount.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=8875&t_pn=kar50541&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CI3t7u2akcECFUoF7AodNSgALg

downsy
10-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I picked this one up
Amazon.com: Highland 1041900 U-Venture Steel Rooftop Cargo Basket: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410FtHRMM3L.@@AMEPARAM@@410FtHRMM3L

I weighted it with my lights all attached and it came in at 33 lbs. As others have said stock capacity by the manual is 150 lbs.

Either way ideally you should keep your light stuff on top and your heavy stuff in the Jeep.

I only put sleeping bags, tents, clothing ect in the roof basket and save my interior space for the heavy stuff like the spare tire that I'd rather keep lower to the ground and the center of gravity of the Jeep.

Even so I do have enough left over capacity to put my spare up there if I needed to but I'd rather have it in the Jeep lower to the ground.

I've been really happy with my roof basket so far.

WhileInTheWild
10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Mine would be mostly for bulky stuff like my inflatable boat or kayak (deflated) and other stuff I only take car camping as opposed to backpacking, the spare will be going on the back on a knucklebone mount from Detours.

ep8457
10-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I have the Curt with the extension in the center making it substantially longer. Haul beach chairs, cooler, 10x10 canopy and such with no problem. Mounted to factory crossbars. I am thinking about removing the factory bars and getting the gutter mounts to eliminate a little of the flex from the crossbars. They should be much stronger than the crossbars and more stable. Overall I am very happy with it and it looks really good.

gary63
10-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I have the garvin wilderness it will hold 500lb. not like you will hall that much very often but you can if need to me and a friend have stood on top of it for a view point. As for buying one if you have a welder ti is very easy to make. me and my friends have use mine and made there to fit there needs.ww.wildernessracks.com/jeep/sport-series-rack-91-02-xj-cherokee-60-l-rain-gutter-mount.html is a pix. of one it gos on your gutters.