PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Disengagement Issue

Kellson
09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone, I have an '89 XJ 5spd with the AX-15 I believe. Over the last week, I was sorta feeling that my clutch pedal was feeling a little light, but I didn't think too much into it. This morning, the problem could not be ignored. Whenever I push the clutch pedal and select a gear, you have to shove it in there and even sometimes grinds and rubs when going in. Also clutch pedal is exceptionally light and "short". Fluid level is fine. I've never had problems with the clutch before. I'm thinking there is a hydraulic issue and I'll replace the master and/or slave cylinders. Anybody had this problem? Should I start with just the master? Thanks

Brasscatz
09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
It's possible that it's a hydraulic issue, or your pressure plate, return spring, throw out bearing could be wearing out

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

prerunner1982
09-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Can you pump the pedal and build the pressure back up?

Kellson
09-30-2014, 02:02 PM
No, pumping the pedal does nothing. When I pump the pedal the fluid in the reservoir doesn't even budge.

4.3LXJ
09-30-2014, 03:37 PM
The most likely cause of this is the master cylinder is worn out. It is common over time. It needs to be replaced

Kellson
09-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks! Hopefully it isn't anything more expensive. I will update. Will I be draining the fluid for this repair? Perhaps I should do a flush as well?

4.3LXJ
09-30-2014, 04:29 PM
You will have to bleed the system anyway, so yes you could call that a flush

Kellson
10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Replaced the master cylinder yesterday with a new Duralast one. Bled the system from the nipple off the slave, but it never built pressure! I'm thinking it was just a bad part so I got a different one from napa to swap in, but maybe I did something wrong when installing?

4.3LXJ
10-02-2014, 10:24 AM
How did you bleed it?

Kellson
10-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Opened up the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and bled it through a rubber hose, submerged in fluid on the jar side of the hose.

4.3LXJ
10-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Did you ever get air out of it?

Kellson
10-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah I got some bubbles but not as much as I was expecting. Also it may be helpful to note that whenever the clutch pedal was depressed, the level in the reservoir would move up and down.

4.3LXJ
10-02-2014, 11:10 AM
When you install a new master cylinder, you need to bench bleed it. That means fill it and work the plunger. There are kits that recycle the fluid or you can make your own with a piece of brake line. Once you get the air out, then you can quickly hook up the brake lines for the vehicle and slip it into place. Then when bleeding, put your finger over the end of the bleeder and use it to maintain a little pressure and form a check valve. Then have someone work the pedal for you. If there is air in the line, the pedal might need to be pumped a little while you hold your finger tightly on the end. The have the other person keep the pedal down while you release fluid and air. But don't completely release your finger. Then put your finger on more tightly again and let the pedal back up. Repeat until you get nothing but fluid and no air bubbles. If you just allow fluid to run out you will not get all the air out of the master cylinder.

Kellson
10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Haha you were right! Thanks much, I never would have known. Got it done and that was certainly the problem!

4.3LXJ
10-02-2014, 08:23 PM
No problem. Glad you got it going