PDA

View Full Version : First post! Ticking/Knocking coming from top end?

cherokee4x4
09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum so this is my first post.

I just bought my first cherokee a few months ago and since i bought it, there has been a ticking/knocking noise coming from the engine. At first i wasn't really concerned but the noise has gotten louder. I do not know the source of the noise so i'm hoping someone could help me out! Below is a link to a video i shot about a week ago.

Jeep cherokee ticking/knocking. Need help! - YouTube

denverd1
09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
hows you oil look? a bit alarming that its getting louder....

prerunner1982
09-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I cant watch the video (at work).... but is it a tick or a knock? Top of engine or bottom of engine?

A common cause of a ticking sound is the exhaust manifold. They are known for cracking.

cherokee4x4
09-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Last time I checked the oil it was clean, but I will check it again and let you know when I can. And the noise definitely sounds top end. In the video, I hold the Rpm's at around 1800 because that's when the noise is loudest. Doesn't sound like exhaust manifold at all to me, but maybe I'm wrong?:confused:

prerunner1982
09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Lifter tick is pretty common on the 4.0 as well.

Brasscatz
09-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Well, try this. Next oil change, put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in it and see if it quiets down.
Another reason you might hear a tick is if the oil level is low.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
09-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Oh, and welcome to xjtalk and thanks for posting up!

denverd1
09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
how does is sound on startup? Common for them to tick for a few seconds (10) until oil gets up to all the components. Run some MMO or a heavier oil to quiet things down.

cherokee4x4
09-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Tried marvel mystery and ATF that was recommended to me, and there has been no difference

downsy
09-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Something is loose in there. Usually lifter tick goes away on higher revs since there is more oil flow going to them, but it cold very well be lifter noise. Pull the valve cover and check the rocker arm nuts.

If you had an inspection borescope of some kind I'd say snake it in the oil drain hole next time you change the oil and look at the #6 piston's skirt and see if it's missing any of it.

cherokee4x4
10-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Pulled valve cover and checked rocker arms. All tight! I had someone sit in the drivers seat and rev it up while I was underneath and the noise is very loud bottom end as well as on top? I guess I'll have to pull the oil pan next and check for pieces of piston :confused:

Brasscatz
10-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Are we sure it's not an exhaust leak? Have you checked the manifold top and bottom for cracks? Between the "tubes" is pretty common

4.3LXJ
10-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I was wondering if it was loud in the bottom end. Pull the inspection cover for the flex plate and check it for cracks and loose torque converter bolts. The noise sounds more consistent with that I think. Also check bell housing bolts. Tony found loose ones the other day

denverd1
10-01-2014, 10:51 AM
last thing I would try before you go digging around for it to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope. You'd be surprised that you can identify which cylinder it is and top or bottom end. put the business end of the screwdriver along the valve cover and put your ear to the handle. move it up and down the cover and listen for changes. Do the same along the bottom end where the pan meets the block.

also might want to rule out the exhaust leak. start it up cold and run your hand along the header and collector. been know to crack or separate at collector and have a strangely knocky sound.

cherokee4x4
10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Just finished checking the flex plate. Everything was tight and couldn't see any cracking anywhere. Bent the hell out of the cover when getting it off so I hope I can force it back on :bang:.

Yea I've been told about the exhaust tick, but my ticking sound doesn't go away. I was told if it's a cracked manifold or exhaust system that the ticking would go away at operating temp, but I can drive my jeep for an hour straight on the highway and it will still be ticking! I can still look into it just to be sure. I'm just hoping its not "piston slap" :pray:

Thanks everyone for your help!

drakan1908
10-01-2014, 02:11 PM
My wife's Grand has a manifold leak and it is louder when first started, as it heats up it gets quieter but never goes away.

denverd1
10-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Just finished checking the flex plate. Everything was tight and couldn't see any cracking anywhere. Bent the hell out of the cover when getting it off so I hope I can force it back on :bang:.

Yea I've been told about the exhaust tick, but my ticking sound doesn't go away. I was told if it's a cracked manifold or exhaust system that the ticking would go away at operating temp, but I can drive my jeep for an hour straight on the highway and it will still be ticking! I can still look into it just to be sure. I'm just hoping its not "piston slap" :pray:

Thanks everyone for your help!

I've never see an exhaust tick that went away....

Brasscatz
10-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Never went away on my old pickup either. And those buggers can hide really well too.

cherokee4x4
10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Ok I'm just going off what others have told me. I will definitely look into my exhaust more! But the noise sounds more like a metal-on-metal contact more than anything...

OldFaurt
10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Ok I'm just going off what others have told me. I will definitely look into my exhaust more! But the noise sounds more like a metal-on-metal contact more than anything...

I would check the valve lash.
With the valve cover off, turn the crank to bring each cylinder up to TDC on compression stroke, then rotating the push rods for that cylinder with your fingers, you should feel a little drag on both.
If you find a loose one you can wiggle, adjust the rocker nut until you feel a bit of resistance to finger twisting...

no no, not twisting your own finger, using your fingers to twist the push rod! Check each cylinder at TDC (Top dead center) of compression stroke and adjust where needed.
Button that jeep up and see if you still have a tick...
I'll just wait down here while you crank her up :smiley-scared00

Check your dogs for ticks while you're at it, Lyme disease is no joke!

denverd1
10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
excellent point there Old Faurt. I think he may have checked for loose rockers, but getting each to TDC is key