PDA

View Full Version : Audio Books and Podcasts

BlackYeti
09-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I am posting this here because The XJ talkshow is sponsored by Audible.com, and I would like to get some more ideas on what to listen to.

Short question: What is a good book that you have listened to from audible? Or a podcast that you have enjoyed besides the XJ talkshow and T and J's random thoughts and news time? :P

I have a lot of time that I am able to listen to audio at work. I am a shop foreman for a construction company and have to do a lot of repetitive work throughout a day. I get anywhere from 5-10 hours a day listen time. Needless to say, audible can be very expensive if I buy books from them along with my 2 credits. And I keep up with xjtalk and T and J's rambling along with a few other podcasts.

Here are a few example of what I have listened too...
ASoIaF
Wheel of Time
Zombie Fallout
The Stormlight Archives
We're Alive
The Leviathan Chronicles
Geekshowpodcast.com

Discuss----->

By the way, Thanks for giving me another $22 bill per month guys....:D

Mudderoy
09-27-2014, 05:31 PM
I am posting this here because The XJ talkshow is sponsored by Audible.com, and I would like to get some more ideas on what to listen to.

Short question: What is a good book that you have listened to from audible? Or a podcast that you have enjoyed besides the XJ talkshow and T and J's random thoughts and news time? :P

I have a lot of time that I am able to listen to audio at work. I am a shop foreman for a construction company and have to do a lot of repetitive work throughout a day. I get anywhere from 5-10 hours a day listen time. Needless to say, audible can be very expensive if I buy books from them along with my 2 credits. And I keep up with xjtalk and T and J's rambling along with a few other podcasts.

Here are a few example of what I have listened too...
ASoIaF
Wheel of Time
Zombie Fallout
The Stormlight Archives
We're Alive
The Leviathan Chronicles
Geekshowpodcast.com

Discuss----->

By the way, Thanks for giving me another $22 bill per month guys....:D

I like "Security Now" with Steve Gibson
Mysterious Universe
Oh I just realized you didn't have the 4x4 Podcast on your list. Dan is an xjtalk member and an online friend.

BlackYeti
09-27-2014, 05:35 PM
I had forgot to mention that one. I haven't been an avid listener but have a few under my belt. I will have to check out the other 2. Thank you.

Mudderoy
09-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I like "Security Now" with Steve Gibson
Mysterious Universe
Oh I just realized you didn't have the 4x4 Podcast on your list. Dan is an xjtalk member and an online friend.

You mentioned the $22 bill, out of the couple of months that we have been advertising the audible books we have yet to have anyone sign up. I'm thinking about dropping it as it doesn't seem to be any interest in it. At least not from our group of listeners.

BlackYeti
09-27-2014, 05:39 PM
I signed up with your promo back in March I believe.

Mudderoy
09-27-2014, 06:26 PM
I signed up with your promo back in March I believe.

lol, I checked after you're post. Nothing. I wonder how many others we've missed. Thanks for the info and thinking of us when you signed up!

BlackYeti
09-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Ya that's odd. I wonder if there is something going on on their end.

Brasscatz
09-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Oh gosh, I listen to audio books every day at work. Depending on what you're into, I can give several suggestions.

The reason I haven't signed up for audible.com yet Tony, I'd because I can rent/download audio books for free through my local library :p however when there is a book that I just gotta read and it's not available online, I'll get it through audible.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

prerunner1982
09-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Not sure if you have any interest in Ham radio, but a couple I listen to are:

HamNation
Amateurlogic
HamRadioNow
Radioactive Ham

Mudderoy
09-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Not sure if you have any interest in Ham radio, but a couple I listen to are:

HamNation
Amateurlogic
HamRadioNow
Radioactive Ham

I was pretty excited about HamNation especially since it was on the "TWIT" network, but after 4 or 5 episodes it just wasn't interesting to me. Very slow paced. What do you think about it Jon?

prerunner1982
09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
I was pretty excited about HamNation especially since it was on the "TWIT" network, but after 4 or 5 episodes it just wasn't interesting to me. Very slow paced. What do you think about it Jon?

Gordon can get on my nerves, can't pin point it is... seems kind of fake maybe.
I like Bob, he seems smart and a really nice guy. I enjoy his early ham and running around with Joe Walsh stories.
I like Don Wilbanks, he has a Jeep and was a DJ in OKC.
I like George and the smoke and solder segment due to the tech.
Randy (K7AGE) has been helping with videos for smoke and solder and he is ok.
Dale Puckett got on my nerves in the beginning, not as bad now, but thankfully he isn't on more than he is.
Valerie Hotzfeld is ok...she does a DX segment which interests me.
I like Amanda Alden.. she seems really nice as well.. and is really nice to look at. :D

It does have its slow moments like any "show" and I get tired of the commercials but understand that Leo Laporte (TWiT) has bills to pay. Would be closer to a 45 min show without the commercials.

All in all I do look forward to it each week.

How long has it been since you watch an episode?

Mudderoy
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Gordon can get on my nerves, can't pin point it is... seems kind of fake maybe.
I like Bob, he seems smart and a really nice guy. I enjoy his early ham and running around with Joe Walsh stories.
I like Don Wilbanks, he has a Jeep and was a DJ in OKC.
I like George and the smoke and solder segment due to the tech.
Randy (K7AGE) has been helping with videos for smoke and solder and he is ok.
Dale Puckett got on my nerves in the beginning, not as bad now, but thankfully he isn't on more than he is.
Valerie Hotzfeld is ok...she does a DX segment which interests me.
I like Amanda Alden.. she seems really nice as well.. and is really nice to look at. :D

It does have its slow moments like any "show" and I get tired of the commercials but understand that Leo Laporte (TWiT) has bills to pay. Would be closer to a 45 min show without the commercials.

All in all I do look forward to it each week.

How long has it been since you watch an episode?

I may have listened to the first 3 to 5 episodes. Don't know how long it's been on.

prerunner1982
09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Upto about 162 now..

Maybe like the XJTalkshow....things have changed since the early days?

OldFaurt
09-29-2014, 08:03 PM
You mentioned the $22 bill, out of the couple of months that we have been advertising the audible books we have yet to have anyone sign up. I'm thinking about dropping it as it doesn't seem to be any interest in it. At least not from our group of listeners.

Howdy Mudderoy,
I would have if I was not already a 10+ year Audible customer!
I have many audio books. I have enjoyed them for years. Give it a bit more time... They might get a round to it. Maybe if some of the folks who have Audible already would talk up their favorite books?
I just finished Earth Abides and To sail beyond the sunset.

Living in Katy and Working in Brenham gives me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day for quality Book time!

BlackYeti
10-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I am not too much into ham stuff. It is intriguing, but I have too many other things going on and not enough fundage for more toys. I will possibly look into some of the podcasts mentioned, but as far as keeping me interested in them may not work out so well. I am more entertained in a good story line or something of comedic topics that I have an interest in. I have been kind of spoiled by listening to the We're Alive story with a full cast of voices. Audio books to a bit to get used to after that. Link: http://www.werealive.com/episodes/ , if you are interested it is a pretty good zombie story.

I guess I could have mentioned that the Scott Sigler stories are pretty good as well.

Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming.

NW99XJ
10-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat.... I sit at a desk for 10 hrs a day... so I have PLENTY of time for audio.
Audio books and podcasts usually go back and forth between what I'm in the mood for.
Right now (literally right this minute as i write this) i'm listening to "NOCTURNAL" - By Scott Sigler.
... he's an amazing author, and has won several awards for his work.
His books are INTENSE ...and do a great job of playing right into the theater of the mind.
Most of his audio books, which are VERY well read.... are available at Audible.
Check out the one I'm listening to now, and the rest of his work at:
Scott Sigler at Audible (http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_search_tseft__galileo?advsearchKeywords=scot t+sigler&x=0&y=0)
His themes range from interstellar football, to mercenary hunting trips of would be aliens, to all out sci-fi that will blow your mind.

As far as podcasts go... naything from The Ace Broadcasting Network, or The Toadhop network.

The Toad Hop Network (http://toadhopnetwork.com/f/All-Shows)

The Ace Broadcasting Network (http://adamcarolla.com/carolladigital/)

Enjoy!

Brasscatz
10-01-2014, 10:59 PM
For good story lines, you will want to listen to Harlan Coben. He is by far my favorite author. He has some stand-alones, but his Myron Bolitar series can't be beat! He's even spun off of it into the Mickey Bolitar series, but he's only a few books into that one.

David Baldacci has his Will Robie series that's really good.

Odd Thomas series is good by Dean Koontz

And if want a change of pace, my second favorite author is Stephen White. His Dr. Alan Gregory series is amazing and will keep you busy for a while.

An even bigger change of pace is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon... my wife got me hooked on them and I have to admit that she's a great author.