PDA

View Full Version : Babys first XJ

Mandalorian
09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Ive been hunting craigslist for months for my first XJ and all I can seem to find are rusted out heaps. The other day I started looking outside my local area (Columbus, OH) and found one in Cincinnati (Link below). Now obviously it has every bell and whistle conceivable but the mileage is up there. On another note, this would end up being my daily which it may be a bit over kill for. Is this something a more experienced jeep owner would even touch with a 10 foot pole? My mechanical knowledge doesnt exceed much past changing my oil but Im eager to learn but dont want to get in over my head.
Any advice is appreciated and I look forward to learning more from this community

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4641399993.html

4.3LXJ
09-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Milage is not necessarily a problem with these. They will go 300K if maintained. My son has a 98 TJ with 359K. The tranny needed a little help, but the engine was strong and didn't use oil. We took it out to do a swap and sold the engine, which I think has another 100K in it easily. Besides, this one has some goodies on it

autotech98
09-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Looks good.decent price for all thats on it.

abebehrmann
09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
The only thing that gives me pause is that it has a rebuilt/salvage title. That means it's been in an accident of some sort that the insurance company considered a total loss.

autotech98
09-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Idk about ohio but pa could be a theft recovery also

XJ Wheeler
09-23-2014, 06:43 PM
The title and also it doesn't sound like the guy knows about everything on it. Just how he phrased some things. But that negligible and has some nice equipment. Just look it over well and if possible bring a knowledgeable friend to make sure the mods were done correctly.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
09-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Take off that stupid snorkel and you're good to go. I've put over 500,000 miles on 2 jeeps so far. On my 3rd with 340,000 miles. Don't sweat miles on these things. Great look jeep (minus snorkel).

rabies
09-26-2014, 01:10 PM
dang thats nice

Mandalorian
09-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for your input guys. While it seems that the general consensus is that I would be fine with this Jeep if I kept it up, Ive decided to keep looking. I decided that part of the fun of having a Jeep was installing and learning about all those parts yourself so I think Ill try to find a stock XJ in good shape with low miles and make my own build

OGCollard
09-27-2014, 09:15 AM
I think that's a good call. These things can take some abuse when you see snorkels and already lifted you just don't know what the PO did with it and if they maintained well whiled doing it. I started with pretty stock xj and am having tons of fun doing stuff to it!