PDA

View Full Version : Shops in near NW Houston for lift installs

WhileInTheWild
09-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm sure TimmyTXJ and I could do all the wrenching to install a 3" lift kit on my stock 2001 XJ but I don't think I really want to deal with that much wrenching yet so does anyone have any recent recommendations (all my searches led to threads several years old) for a shop, preferably somewhere not too far from me (290 & Bingle/Pinemont) to install a 3" lift kit?

Any ideas of cost to install? I'm tempted to ask for recommendations on lift kits but beyond don't get an add a leaf I think everyone just has their personal opinions and will defend them to death so it could get ugly in here if I did...

Brasscatz
09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
I'll give you some honest un-opinionated lift recommendations.
First, if you have a lift installed, you're probably going to pay as much as you did for the lift itself. Best bet is to have several buddies over for a wrench party.

As far as lifts go, and I can testify to this, if you get a 3"lift, you'll want more later. I have a 3" and I've already bought stuff to go 6"+ because, well, my jeep is easily mistaken for stock.

For price, you can go rough country or similar. Even cheaper to do a budget lift (there is a junkyard parts list in here that'll get you good lift for super cheap). There are people that will tell you to never go rough country, but let's be honest, it'll work just fine and so what if it doesn't last 10 years, all lifts will wear out.

I do urge you to order from payless (xj4life on here) because he'll give you the best prices on just about everything.

So, basically get the lift that fits your budget and the height that you desire, don't worry about which brand is better.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
09-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Hope that helps a bit ;)

WhileInTheWild
09-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Thank for the advice, this is going to be my DD and I don't currently plan on doing any real serious off-road stuff but just want a little extra clearance so a 3" and 31" all terrains should meet my needs. I'm not looking to go super cheap but also don't need to go top of the range like BDS so am currently looking at the Rough Country and Rusty's off-road price ranges.

I'm just finding the idea of installing a lift kit to be a little daunting at the moment but I may be able to be convinced otherwise.

Semi related, does anyone know if a 31" spare will fit on the cargo space side mount inside? That will be getting moved outside in the future but not for a while yet so hopefully it fits.

Brasscatz
09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
No problem, definitely go with one of the less expensive brands like rough country then. They'll work just fine for you. I honestly don't know about the spare though.

XJ Wheeler
09-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Installing the lift, especially a 3", isn't too hard. Although some jeeps are temperamental so be prepared for anything. But it can be done in a few hours with help. Someone who has done it before can be invaluable. On the brand, I would also just go with Rough Country if price is a concern. You can then get control arms and an adjustable trackbar later to make it more bulletproof.

The shop is somewhat harder to recommend because you just can't trust anyone these days. The only one I do suggest in the area is 4 Wheel Parts. They do good work, although that does come at a pretty high cost.

WhileInTheWild
09-16-2014, 05:06 PM
As I do more research I'm becoming more confident in tackling the install, price isn't necessarily a concern but I don't want to throw money away on kit that I don't need for my uses. Currently down to the Rough a Country and Zone Offroad (sister company to BDS) kits, not quite ready to pull the trigger yet though, have to work out the right size tires for my 15" wheels as well, apparently I need a metric size?

XJ Wheeler
09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Nah. For a 3" lift, 31s are perfect. The most common size is 31x10.50-15.

WhileInTheWild
09-16-2014, 05:19 PM
So these look good? $640 for 4 at CostCo:

BFGoodrich-All-Terrain T/A® KO
Item #: 714651
Manufacturer Part #: 3119
Tire Size: 31x10.50R15/C 109S
Season: All-Season
Warranty:
Standard
Run Flat: N

XJ Wheeler
09-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Yep, that's the exact tire I run. Great tire, awesome tread life.