PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Flip

fifferco
09-13-2014, 10:55 AM
I have a '89 Cherokee 4dr with a 5.5" bastard lift on it. I recently put a set of 33x12.5 Mickey Thompson MTZs on it and have noticed my steering is a bit loose. I am already have an upgraded track bar and dropped pitman arm but I think I need to upgrade my tie rod. I'm getting a tie rod and tie rod ends from Iron Rock but I saw something in regards to flipping it over. I saw the bushings on Rustys but I was wondering how much this involves and if anyone has done this.

bluedragon436
09-13-2014, 11:53 AM
I was looking at doing this when I still had my 98.. Only downsides I saw to it for a DD was that you have to cut off your factory sway bar connection points, and will have to either run without a sway bar in the front or have to build new connection points for the sway bar, and on most setups you have to redesign a new steering stabilizer mounts as it and the sway bar mounts will be in the way of the tie rod once you flip it.. so I would say if you can weld you can pick up the necessary sway bar relocation brackets and take care of that issue... Other then that, I know you can get the inserts through Goferit Offroad (http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm), and they make it seem as if you can just drill out the taper portion of the knuckle and install their insert.. so I'd say contact them and talk to them to see if anything else is needed other than just that for sure.. I'd go with the ones who have designed the product that most folks use when they do the flip, and see what other feedback or items might have to be done.. Look forward to seeing this if you complete it, and would be cool to see some pics of it..

4.3LXJ
09-13-2014, 03:36 PM
To do that you cannot use your stock drag link. You will need a new one. There is a draw back that happens with the type of tie rod and draglink you will end up with. It leads to tie rod roll when steering and it will still seem sloppy