PDA

View Full Version : Weekend trip to The Rubicon

slipinkramer
09-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Just got home. Here is what I can say about The Rubicon Trail:

1) Many have told me that the Dusy Ershim Trail (close to Fresno, CA) is more difficult. That is a load of crap! Now I have run both trails and can say for sure that The Rubicon is a notch above. Its because The Rubicon is unrelenting; the boulders never stop, never let up. They just go on and on!

2) Rigs with lockers, custom suspension and 37" or larger tires (the big dogs) can pretty much sail through with good driving skill. Smaller tired rigs must have lockers and a winch. I'm on 32s so lots of winching, spotting and rock stacking was necessary.

3) Its really nice to have clean, well maintained toilets every 1/4 mile or so along the trail. I've never seen that before and it great. I'm all for spending time outdoors, but it is nice to not have to dig a hole and poop in it!

4) Unless you're a big dog, carnage is pretty much a sure thing. I nailed a tail light lens, a turn signal lens, added few light paint scuffs, tore off a front fender flare and developed a worrisome leak from my from differential. I saw much worse...

They will download a bit slow because they are uncompressed high res, but if you want to see a few pics here they are:

http://n6muk.sytes.net/images/Rubicon_2014/

4.3LXJ
09-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes, nice trail. I will be getting together with one or two guys an going hopefully this month. There are other trails around there besides, also challenging. I have been to Hell Hole and looking forward to the Chipmunk Jeep trail

slipinkramer
09-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Fordyce is near there. I was told it is more challenging (ugh!).

4.3LXJ
09-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Yes it is. I have been on parts of it. It is not relentless, but there are spots that are named winch hills. You would not want to go down #1, you would roll. The USFS is constructing a bypass for it to avoid that. Going up is OK. I have been to #7 and can say for sure you would have to winch up it. I haven't tried it since I got a front locker, but it would be a challenge for sure