PDA

View Full Version : NEW 2000 XJ for this guy looking for mod ideas and thoughts

98XJblack
09-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Ok so I scored myself and basically new to my standards 2000 XJ SPORT with 60,000 miles. The whole is pretty much factory fresh, one owner and barely broken in.

Things I'm thinking about doing:

Cooling - hood louvers, electric fans and lose the clutch fan, and new coolant pump.

Exhaust - I'd to go from the headers back but there doesn't seem to be much out there listed for headers on a 2000-2001 with the way the manifold is curled. Was this done for space and firing or performance and will any style of header for a 4.0 work.

Towing - I want to do light towing of band equipment no more than a 5x8 closed trailer, less that 2000# of equipment, I have a class III receiver. (Braking, lift assist, etc ?)

I would like to get into this thing while everything is fresh. Also anything I should look at and attend to like bushings from age?

Any suggestions and comments are much appreciated.

Thanks guys if I think of anything else I will post again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
09-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Jon, the idea of electric fans on an XJ sounds good at first, but doesn't usually work too well. The clutch fan is rated at 1800 cfm. Combined with the current efan at 1100 cfm gives a total of 3000 cfm. Most of the electric solutions are rated at 3000 cfm or less. I currently have a 3800 cfm fan from a Taurus, but to make that work you need to fabricate a shroud for it to fully utilize it

bluedragon436
09-04-2014, 08:10 AM
That sounds like a darn nice deal you picked yourself up there... Look forward to seeing pics of the new XJ... Wish I could find myself a deal on a clean XJ again... wish I had never had to let my 98 go..

98XJblack
09-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Jon, the idea of electric fans on an XJ sounds good at first, but doesn't usually work too well. The clutch fan is rated at 1800 cfm. Combined with the current efan at 1100 cfm gives a total of 3000 cfm. Most of the electric solutions are rated at 3000 cfm or less. I currently have a 3800 cfm fan from a Taurus, but to make that work you need to fabricate a shroud for it to fully utilize it

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/36a21c03f4eba5ec9ff46ab2907e138f.jpg

Here's a pic. Put the rack from my other black 98 xj. But ok no real good options for electric fan conversion unless I want to fabricate something. I would really like to do work that doesn't employ much "hacking" not that you hacked anything but want to make this a quality build. So any other ideas on helping engine compartment cooling?

98XJblack
09-04-2014, 09:35 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/e0656de423fbeb685b8628f310d5f403.jpg

Sorry no rack on the other pic but this was the retirement party for the black 98 xj, with the other kids.

4.3LXJ
09-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Venting the hood is a good option. Most people like to put the vents at the back of the hood, but venting at the front is the most efficient since that is an area of vacuum and pulls more air through the radiator that way. Another option is to use a ZJ fan clutch. It is designed for a bigger fan so it slips less. It will make more fan noise though

98XJblack
09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Venting the hood is a good option. Most people like to put the vents at the back of the hood, but venting at the front is the most efficient since that is an area of vacuum and pulls more air through the radiator that way. Another option is to use a ZJ fan clutch. It is designed for a bigger fan so it slips less. It will make more fan noise though

Ok so venting I will definitely be doing and didn't know about placement but now I do.

Thoughts on the headers anyone?

4.3LXJ
09-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Responses are a little light during working hours. But in a general sense, the tubular exhaust manifold is a shorty header. It would be difficult to make it into a long tube header due to clearance issues with the front driveline. So you are stuck with the OEM design, which is generally not bad for an exhaust manifold

98XJblack
09-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Yea I kinda figured that seeing as I was at work when I wrote this up. But yea ok I wasn't sure why they had designed it like that.