PDA

View Full Version : Disaster has struck ………………….

4.3LXJ
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
And so what do you do? Some of us live in areas where there are inconveniences that range from power outages to earthquakes, hurricanes and floods. Do you have a strategy to deal with this? If so, what is it?

We have started with our XJ and other capable vehicles as well as camping gear handy and ready to go in a few minutes. What is your plan?

XJ Wheeler
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Step 1: Get helmet. Step 2: Put helmet on...

:D

ArmyGuy45
09-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Since I live in Phoenix, AZ, I would grab all the gear, ammo, and food I can carry and head north. The forest is the only place to live in AZ. My goal is to my XJ able to go 200 miles when fully loaded (and possible pulling a small trailer) on a full tank.

cpttuna
09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
We have two utility trailers. We load both up and head for property we own in Pa.

xj-jake
09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Step 1: Get helmet. Step 2: Put helmet on...

:D

Correction
Step 1: Get helmet
Step 2: Line helmet with tin foil
Step 3: Put helmet on

Just looking out for your well being buddy :thumbsup:

abebehrmann
09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
We have a little over a week's supply of food (including dog food) and water stored in our coat closet and I try to make sure that at least one of the Jeeps has a full tank of gas at all times. Depending on the disaster we plan to either stay put or load everything into the XJ and head for higher ground.

TallGuyJeep
09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
In our family we each have a "72 hour kit" which is a backpack with food, clothes, water, basically everything you would need to last for 72 hours. Kind of a bug out bag we can grab quickly and go. We also keep a well stocked food storage (at least six months) including foods we can ourselves and canned food from the store. My parents also went crazy and bought about 1,500 lbs of whole grain wheat that we can grind.

As far as defense we keep a decent ammo supply, and own some rifles and shotguns.

Oh, and we also have a couple small grow boxes for growing fruits and veggies. :)

bigjim350
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Well since im "essential personnel" in the incident management department, I'd just have to go to work......

Mudderoy
09-04-2014, 04:22 PM
And so what do you do? Some of us live in areas where there are inconveniences that range from power outages to earthquakes, hurricanes and floods. Do you have a strategy to deal with this? If so, what is it?

We have started with our XJ and other capable vehicles as well as camping gear handy and ready to go in a few minutes. What is your plan?

I was certain I was going to read the Dana 35 finally exploded and took out everything in a 3 county area! :D

4.3LXJ
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Nope, still going STRONG :D

abebehrmann
09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I was certain I was going to read the Dana 35 finally exploded and took out everything in a 3 county area! :D

Hahaha, I thought that he got in an accident and thought, "OH NO! ALL THAT WORK HE HAD IN THE 4.3LXJ!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

DON'T SCARE US LIKE THIS STEVE!

OrangeXJ
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Seeing as I live in a hurrcaine prone area for 35 + years I have the drill down.
I have evacuated several times the key to this is knowing what direction to go and when.

Most times we we don't evacuate just hunker down and ride it out.

Key things at my house are:

Back up power to keep all the food fresh,run AC and lights.
Fuel up every car/truck/jeeps we own plus all the gas cans.
Guns/ammo and pitbull.

Have yet to have any problems with this plan.

4.3LXJ
09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Hahaha, I thought that he got in an accident and thought, "OH NO! ALL THAT WORK HE HAD IN THE 4.3LXJ!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

DON'T SCARE US LIKE THIS STEVE!

Oh no, never fear. If it ever did get wrecked, I would just transfer all the stuff over to another.

Zeks05
09-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Well snice i live in PA... most things dont apply yet.. lol... however.. i got plan.. well sort of.

Lifted jeeps ready to handle almost anything - Check
Food.. i got lots of food.. and Drive-by food in any local farm.. it is PA you know.. we all Farm!!
I got lots of guns and ammo
I fish alot so really no shortage on food.

my house sits on TOP of the hill.. no flooding.. and i got a Cat. Genny that runs on Bio-diesel or ethanol. i got drums of refined used cooking oil, and once again PA is great for farms so i got lots lots of corn for future ethanol making.. plus i got some drums ready..
this plan is for home use.

99 dodge ram with 5.9C runs on Bio, pulls big 20' trailor.. this is for when i need to pack up and leave..

i got power,food,water, and clean view of sight for many many miles, bring on the zombies, bring on ppl that wanna challenge my right of freedom.. ill show you Country boy can and WILL survive!!

i got HAM radio if needed.. plz when shit hits the fan ill broadcast GPS cords to my fellow jeepers.. 4x4 and lockers will be needed.. coz i will be wrecking my driveway so its not so easy for city folk or whoever to run to my compound!!

-Joe

WhiteDevil1311
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Got our bug out gear ready to go on a pallet in the garage. Xj is slowly getting "trail rated" to handle a situation that requires us to utilize our gear. My guns, rounds and archery gear are either already in the xj to an extent and placed throughout the house (safely of course). Were luck to be in an elevated house so nothing really can climb in easily (1890 house)

downsy
09-08-2014, 12:22 AM
I've been into "prepping" since I was in High School. Before it was known as such.

I keep a "BOB" in my barracks room as well as a Get Home Bag I keep on or near me at all times. I have various plans from bugging in to bugging out to various destinations. My situation of being in the military 1300 miles from home kind of complicates matters. I've done the math and the only real way to get enough fuel in the XJ is to hitch up a trailer haha. I'd need about 100 gallons total to be on the safe side.

For "bugging in" I keep a months supply of food and water in the barracks room along with basic meds and what not. Hardest part of bugging in will be keeping occupied.

Bugging out via Jeep I've got boxes packed and ready to go with food, and gear to live out of the Jeep. I figure if the SHTF getting home would take a bit longer than usual so I've planned for 5 days instead of a day and some change. As well there are lots of local places I could bug out to temporarily if need be. Not sure what would force that though. I can be rolling via Jeep or foot in less than an hour.

Even localized "emergency" stuff is a breeze. With the stored water I am good to go for local water outages which are surprisingly common on this base. With the shower I'm good to go there as well, have cooking supplies if need be, ect, ect

Being prepared isn't always about the big disasters. Being prepped for the local small stuff can be a huge help. Anyone remember the VERY recent Toledo, Ohio water issue? Hell that was just about a month ago. How quickly was water cleared off the shelf of the local stores? Less than 48 hours and people were lined up outside of stores to wait in line to buy water or were filling coolers and mason jars up with water from where ever they could get clean water.

:xj-black::xj-black::xj-black:

WhiteDevil1311
09-08-2014, 07:59 AM
I keep 45g of filtered water in a holding tank here with recirc and air supply. Im mot hardcore into prepping but I keep enough gear around incase SHTF. The challenge is getting the wife and one of the kids whom is also female to eat MREs. I choked em down for 5 years theyve never had the experience

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 11:56 AM
It comes to the need and lack of choices they'll find a way to choke em down!! Was actually thinking about picking up a case or two of MRE's once I get back stateside as well as a few other preparation supplies.. Never hurts to have preparations no matter what may come up or happen, not just the end of the world or anything like that... My father and I actually talked about burying a few conex style containers at a few locations around is property... figure put a few cases in each and some water in each.... to at least buy some time no matter which happens to be the easiest to access at the time the need comes apparent!! Can't wait to get another Jeep to build up and have just in case that need arises.. Also is nice that my dad lives right on the edge of some RR tracks, in case roads are blocked, I got no quams with running tracks for a bit!!

ArmyGuy45
09-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Ill just SWAT raid those who are prepping!!:rolleyes:

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Come on over... no need to raid my place.. We'll have a :xjtalk1: M&G!!

XJ Wheeler
09-08-2014, 01:19 PM
It comes to the need and lack of choices they'll find a way to choke em down!! Was actually thinking about picking up a case or two of MRE's once I get back stateside as well as a few other preparation supplies.. Never hurts to have preparations no matter what may come up or happen, not just the end of the world or anything like that... My father and I actually talked about burying a few conex style containers at a few locations around is property... figure put a few cases in each and some water in each.... to at least buy some time no matter which happens to be the easiest to access at the time the need comes apparent!! Can't wait to get another Jeep to build up and have just in case that need arises.. Also is nice that my dad lives right on the edge of some RR tracks, in case roads are blocked, I got no quams with running tracks for a bit!!

Would be awesome to have the containers connect via tunnel. And have one for the jeep so no one messes with it. Cause lets face it, when it hits the fan people go crazy!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Would be awesome to have the containers connect via tunnel. And have one for the jeep so no one messes with it. Cause lets face it, when it hits the fan people go crazy!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Yeah that might happen one day to connect the containers, but that is a lot of land to cover with tunnels, as my father is sitting on 28+ acres and the containers would be almost located at different corners of the property... Have thought about doing one or two containers or just one large container, that would be connected to one of the "home containers" and have it large enough to store Jeep and tractor inside of it... Figure both of which could be useful!!

xj-jake
09-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm going to do to my jeep whatever this guy did to his...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ctd/4654191030.html

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I think that is a bit too much IMHO!! I like he lists it as a convertible...

4.3LXJ
09-08-2014, 02:44 PM
I think he needs to own a steel company

xj-jake
09-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I may buy it, scrap out all the crap hanging off it, and own it for little or nothing..

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Heck you could probably find someone that would buy it to make use of it for the same exact use it is being used for now... Then maybe you can sell it for more as it wouldn't just be scrap metal you're selling, but custom one off zombie equipment!! LOL

4.3LXJ
09-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Same use as now? As in ……………………………………..?

bluedragon436
09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Same use as now? As in ……………………………………..?

... that is the question.. lol.. But as in his plan I can only imagine it is the purpose to be a zombie protection or collection devices!!

WhileInTheWild
09-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I have my SAR pack (still trying to find the time/money to get certified, buying a jeep recently isn't helping that) that is good for 24 hours of sustenance but has all the survival essentials for longer than that along with my case of dehydrated food that I "shop" from for each camping trip and the two 2.5 gallon water jugs that are sitting there for that purpose.

I still need to work on a GHB to put in the jeep, I may just stash some essentials under the back seat, all I have so far is a FAK stashed under the passenger seat. To me a get home or just a survive until help arrives situation is much more likely to happen than a bug out one so that is where my real focus will be beyond the SAR pack.

Just think of the number of situations where you could get stuck with a breakdown, either in the wilderness or on a long stretch of road (I-10 near El Paso comes to mind) or situations like Hurricane Rita (18 hours to get to the Woodlands, ugh) where you could be stuck in your vehicle for long periods of time. Even just a crash ahead of you can get you stranded on a freeway for an extended period so in those cases I'd like to be comfortable.