PDA

View Full Version : Travel Safely

Rocco83
08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
I honestly can't tell you how many times I've almost been side swiped today on the highway from dumbasses who are driving and texting.

Single individuals, mother's with kids in the back, full families with all their faces glued to their phones probably texting each other instead of talking.

I wish they would devise a method to to disable the text feature of your phone while moving at a certain speed. The roads are too busy right now for people to be driving distracted.

4.3LXJ
08-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Big brother is working on that with a required app that disables the phone while in motion

Rocco83
08-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Required, as in preloaded from the manufacturer? Or required as in having to download it from the App Store? Either way I can foresee a lot more jail broken phones to get away from that app.

4.3LXJ
08-30-2014, 03:18 PM
The talk is to make it required on all new phones. Of course there will be people who will try to disable it. But I think the time is come to address using phones in motion. People who develop software that rely on GPS are opposed to this for obvious reasons. It all has to be worked out, but is in the discussion stage. Then there are those who see this as infringement on personal liberty.

Rocco83
08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I'd only be ok with that as long as it was driver only and only did text. I'd want to still be able to use it for GPS and receive calls hands free through my stereo. If it disabled that I'd simply jail break my phone and remove that app. I do not believe in texting or talking on the phone using your hands while driving, but I will not be told I cannot use my phone for anything while driving.

Plus if it disabled during movement that would screw over passengers. I have a hard time seeing them getting it up and running. Besides with all the cops I see driving and texting, they'd be at the front of the line crying.

4.3LXJ
08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Hence the current debate

XJ Wheeler
08-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Yes! I see it all the time. Its so prevalent here i've come to expect it and agree something needs to be done to combat the abuse. I wonder if it would be possible to block only the data signal for about 2-3 feet around the steering wheel. That way you don't effect passengers, nor the drivers gps signal or calling ability. There is no way you can kill the entire phones function while driving. In an emergency it could cost someone their life.

XJ Wheeler
08-30-2014, 06:39 PM
And in the spirit i took this picture of a guy setting 50- 70 feet back from the light.

And you can clearly see the phone a mere 6 inches from the guys face! Oh, and passenger side door is open. :rolleyes:

Brasscatz
08-31-2014, 07:33 PM
And in the spirit i took this picture of a guy setting 50- 70 feet back from the light.

And you can clearly see the phone a mere 6 inches from the guys face! Oh, and passenger side door is open. :rolleyes:

I love ya bro, but I will point out in jest that you're on your phone taking a pic of that guy on his phone... :smiley-taunt002: :smiley-taunt002: LOL messing with ya ;)

Rocco83
08-31-2014, 07:39 PM
Was going to say something about that, but figured he was stopped at a light. Was going to give him the benefit of the doubt haha

XJ Wheeler
08-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Yep, stopped at a light... AND... in the passengers seat. :rolleyes:

:p

The most i ever use my phone while driving is switching radio stations and all calls go over my speakers since i have it plugged into the aux input. I am a firm believer in not messing around while driving. Even a phone call can distract you enough to not notice something important, like someone running a light or stopping short.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

downsy
09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Besides with all the cops I see driving and texting, they'd be at the front of the line crying.

No they wouldn't cause like any other law like this there will be a provision written in that exempts police officers and other government officials when "in performance of their duties".