PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer

Kellson
08-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone, I have an '89 Cherokee 4.0 5spd. The one I have came from the factory with the lame instrument cluster (idiot lights, no tach). What should I do? I want a tach and a needle temp gauge. Should I swap the whole thing for a different used factory one? Can I just switch the fuel gauge for the tach instead? Or should I just go aftermarket? Thanks

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2014, 10:52 PM
I am unsure if its possible to swap only the gauge out, but i doubt it. I have a feeling the wiring sheet thing on the back of the cluster is set up differently. But i highly suggest swapping the entire cluster. Its easy to do and will work just as factory. You will need a cluster from a '87-'90 model, as well as switching out the oil pressure and temp sending units. Make sure to get ones specified to work with gauges, not idiot lights.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Yeah I was going to say if you hit up a JY and pull the cluster and the sensors out of that Jeep that'll at least get you rolling with the much better cluster... and still have the clean look on the inside without the added extra gauges mounted to your dash or steering column... I mean if you don't mind spending a little bit more you can always pick up the sensors new @ local parts store... they aren't too expensive really..

Kellson
08-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Sweet, I'll start looking! Hopefully I can also do an LED conversion for the new cluster. Any threads for that?

XJ Wheeler
08-27-2014, 04:17 PM
All you need is (9) 194 bulbs to swap in the cluster. Make sure they are 360* bulbs so you don't get dim spots. All you do is twist out the bulb holders on the back of the cluster and pull the old bulbs, push in the new ones and put it back in. You do need to test to make sure the bulbs are in the right orientation because unlike the stock type bulbs leds only work one direction. If one doesn't work just take it out and flip it 180*.

Kellson
08-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks! Does the "smd" value matter?

XJ Wheeler
08-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks! Does the "smd" value matter?

Yes. Its an opinion thing though. The smd (surface mount device) bulbs are the flat type led and often in a 360° bulb you have either the smd leds on all four sides and one on the top. Whereas the lead (as in wire leads) type led bulbs are one the uses a type of lenses to scatter the output around. I don't like this because leds are more of a pin point light so the farther you look to the side the dimmer it appears. So the smd bulbs offer better 360° appearance for less dim spots.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.