PDA

View Full Version : New to me 1998 Cherokee

carcrazyjo
08-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Hi! I just picked up a 1998 Cherokee with 198k. I think regular maintenance was lacking and the motor has a bad rap. Brougt it to my mechanic who verified the rap. I know it is there, but before I try to find a new motor, I was going to suggest he drop the oil pan and check first to see if there is a bad rod bearing. Any suggestions from anyone out there about a bad motor rap?? thanks

Mudderoy
08-26-2014, 12:23 AM
Hi! I just picked up a 1998 Cherokee with 198k. I think regular maintenance was lacking and the motor has a bad rap. Brougt it to my mechanic who verified the rap. I know it is there, but before I try to find a new motor, I was going to suggest he drop the oil pan and check first to see if there is a bad rod bearing. Any suggestions from anyone out there about a bad motor rap?? thanks

Not a tick? They love to tick.

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2014, 02:34 AM
There is a somewhat common problem that can cause a knocking in the bottom end. It is the flexplate bolts coming loose. Might be worth a look if this sounds like your issue.

Welcome you to our site. Congratulations on the new purchase although sorry to hear about the motor trouble.

4.3LXJ
08-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Welcome. Checking the flex plate and torque converter bolts is a good idea. They come loose and can sound like a rod bearing going bad