PDA

View Full Version : Retirement present..... need advice

07Negative
08-24-2014, 01:35 PM
So my girlfriends dad retired in Dec. 2013 and we are just getting to have a party. He went back to the islands for 6 months, so that's why the long wait.
The Ms' and I have been going back and forth on what to get him.
So far this is what we've come up with. But I'd like to maybe hear from some of the senior members of the board or even some of ya's who have retired already.
Fishing gear. A really nice rod and reel. I haven't fished in years and don't know what's good quality stuff these days.
I also thought about a nice EDC pocket knife.
Dad had mentioned how he wanted a fishing boat when he retired. Nothing crazy fancy. Just like a 15-20' Aluminum boat. Not sure if he'll actually get one.
He also mentioned how he wanted a Kimber 1911. But the girl is not down for buying a firearm sadly.
Dad is pretty young, only 63. And wicked healthy. I guess I don't know him well enough, but would really like to make it personal. I really enjoy giving thoughtful gifts, that one can use.
Thanks for any kind words.

Mudderoy
08-24-2014, 02:24 PM
so my girlfriends dad retired in dec. 2013 and we are just getting to have a party. He went back to the islands for 6 months, so that's why the long wait.
The ms' and i have been going back and forth on what to get him.
So far this is what we've come up with. But i'd like to maybe hear from some of the senior members of the board or even some of ya's who have retired already.
Fishing gear. A really nice rod and reel. I haven't fished in years and don't know what's good quality stuff these days.
I also thought about a nice edc pocket knife.
Dad had mentioned how he wanted a fishing boat when he retired. Nothing crazy fancy. Just like a 15-20' aluminum boat. Not sure if he'll actually get one.
He also mentioned how he wanted a kimber 1911. But the girl is not down for buying a firearm sadly.
Dad is pretty young, only 63. And wicked healthy. I guess i don't know him well enough, but would really like to make it personal. I really enjoy giving thoughtful gifts, that one can use.

cpttuna
08-26-2014, 06:49 AM
If you get the knife have it engraved. Does he have a special hobby? pay for a vacation to some special place he has always wanted to visit? Something he can use or enjoy frequently.

EekGirl96
08-26-2014, 06:53 AM
What about the fishing gear and a weekend in his favorite fishing spot?

abebehrmann
08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
So my girlfriends dad retired in Dec. 2013 and we are just getting to have a party. He went back to the islands for 6 months, so that's why the long wait.
The Ms' and I have been going back and forth on what to get him.
So far this is what we've come up with. But I'd like to maybe hear from some of the senior members of the board or even some of ya's who have retired already.
I also thought about a nice EDC pocket knife.
Dad had mentioned how he wanted a fishing boat when he retired. Nothing crazy fancy. Just like a 15-20' Aluminum boat. Not sure if he'll actually get one.
He also mentioned how he wanted a Kimber 1911. But the girl is not down for buying a firearm sadly.
Dad is pretty young, only 63. And wicked healthy. I guess I don't know him well enough, but would really like to make it personal. I really enjoy giving thoughtful gifts, that one can use.

I think the best gifts are those that the person wants but probably will never actually buy on their own. If the fishing boat is something he wants, but is also something he thinks might be an unnecessary extravagance, I say buy him that.

Rocco83
08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
18 year old college drop out former sorority girl to keep him young and his heart healthy.