PDA

View Full Version : Welcome dansmurf!!!

EekGirl96
08-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi dansmurf, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

dansmurf
08-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I found the podcast a couple weeks ago and love it. I downloaded about the last 15 episodes and could not stop listening. Great info and entertainment.

A little about me and my xj's. I was a ford mechanic for about 8 years and now a heavy equipment mechanic for the last 7. I have mechanical ability but not much experience with jeeps. I was looking to get into the off road hobby about 2 years ago and found a 91 xj lifted with a rusty's 4.5" lift with track bar, full leaf packs, drop sway bar brackets and transfer case, lower control arms, steering stabilizer. Also had 33 x10.5 tires that were like new, and spartan locker in stock dana 35. It had everything that i wanted after doing some internet research. The price was right so i picked it up. When I got it home I did all the normal maintenance like full tune up, fluids, belts, hoses, etc. Also added a winch, high output alternator and cb.

After a few years with it and a few small trail rides under my belt I decided to build a new rig that will better suit my wants and needs. So when a family friend told me they were selling their bone stock 01 xj I jumped on the deal. I hope to use this site to bounce ideas around on the new xj build. I will start a build thread for the 01 xj once I have anything worth posting.

Thanks for the great site.

abebehrmann
08-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Glad to have you aboard! I also found the forum while searching for a Jeep podcast

Mudderoy
08-29-2014, 02:12 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: and really appreciate the kind words about the podcast!

Please feel free to join in as a member of the show!

Dana 35 raises red flags. With so much built up on that rig, nothing was done to the stock Dana 35? Steve, 4.3lxj runs a Dana 35 on his XJ but he has a non Dana 35 replacement ready and waiting.

As you may know the Dana 35 have to be babied on the trail.

Another red flag is the 2000 and 2001 XJ models had heads with smaller exhaust ports. The was done so the 4.0 would get up to operating temp faster and improving fuel economy. The unintended consequence? Head cracking! It's not a 100% thing just something to watch for. If it's not a daily driver, then no big deal. But if you run across a cheap head in the 95 to 99 year range snap it up and have it ready.

:patriot:

4.3LXJ
08-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Welcome aboard Dan. It will be fun to watch it "grow"

dansmurf
08-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks again for the welcomes.

Tony, thanks for the heads up. As of now, the 91 is up for sale. I have a 8.25 i was going to build and use for the 91 but will now use for the 01 since it has a dana 35. I will also be keeping an eye out for a good deal on an improved head.

XJ Wheeler
08-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the site Dan. Glad you found us and the show. Now... where's the photos of these jeeps?! :D