PDA

View Full Version : Call me autistic, making XJ smart book

rabies
08-21-2014, 10:43 AM
smart book= a binder of book of collection of useful data/info/tech.
good use for when i have no internet and stranded

so like every vehicle or motorcycle i get into "building"
i make a smartbook. asking for suggestions of what to put in there.

so far i have ...
trq specs
stock specs
mpg and tank capacity
engine codes (obd2)
gearing #s
fuse #s description
front & rear dif/axles and fluid type and amounts
engine and trans codes/model # and fluid type and amounts.
weight
hualing capacity
my vin
ujoint part #s

no so much as for pics but just #s and quick look up junk.
any other suggestions?
(maintance log is seperate)

EDIT::
added exploded diagram of dana 30 and chr 8.25
drum brake diagram
serpintine belt diagram

4.3LXJ
08-21-2014, 11:00 AM
You might want brake parts in there

Dredwolf
08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Also any "conversion" notes or part numbers, like ZJ tie rod, or the correct brake pads/shoes to match the actual components (non ABS, WJ calipers, etc)

XJ Wheeler
08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
I don't know if its possible but a list of hardware sizes would be invaluable!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Carves
08-21-2014, 07:59 PM
smart book= a binder of book of collection of useful data/info/tech.
good use for when i have no internet and stranded

:thumbsup:

Don't get too carried away though .. ;);)

e.g. VIN number is stamped all over the vehicle, Diffs should have ratio tags unless you made changes, etc..

I settled on OBDII codes, Fuse info, and phone numbers, of a coupla decent parts suppliers.

... and a factory, FSM, and parts book - on a thumbdrive ... for use with the laptop ... or a "mechanics", shop computer.

xj-jake
08-22-2014, 08:43 AM
How about light bulb numbers?

4.3LXJ
08-22-2014, 10:00 AM
:thumbsup:

Don't get too carried away though .. ;);)

e.g. VIN number is stamped all over the vehicle, Diffs should have ratio tags unless you made changes, etc..

I settled on OBDII codes, Fuse info, and phone numbers, of a coupla decent parts suppliers.

... and a factory, FSM, and parts book - on a thumbdrive ... for use with the laptop ... or a "mechanics", shop computer.

I think this is the right idea. An FSM is the way to go. Of course in my case, it would only cover the unibody :rolleye0012:

Dredwolf
08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I think this is the right idea. An FSM is the way to go. Of course in my case, it would only cover the unibody :rolleye0012:
Hence my mention of noting part numbers/specs for any upgrades/swaps..

I have done this for several project vehicles on thumbdrives. Recently I started copying some of THAT data to my Google drive and MS skydrive, so as long as I Internet access, I can get to it. Also seeimg what can store on a microSD card in my smrt phone....

4.3LXJ
08-22-2014, 12:39 PM
I have never bothered to make that list. I just carry that in my head. Not that hard to do since I have spent so much time in research and doing my own work

WhiteDevil1311
08-25-2014, 01:16 PM
How about light bulb numbers?

Sylvania's website has a bulb fitment per model/make

rabies
08-26-2014, 07:49 AM
^i replaced all my bulbs with led. brighter cleaner and last forevers

WhiteDevil1311
08-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Rabies make sure they are sealed well from moisture. I work with LED bulbs daily and the smallest bit of moisture will corrode the solder points and diodes
Ill replace mine with them as soon as the halogens go out. Did you do the dash bulbs too? Who did you get them from?

rabies
08-26-2014, 02:14 PM
i got them from ebay. about $27 for the whole kit.
i havent done the dash ones yet. i do have bulbs for them. i just dont know how and where they are at.

WhiteDevil1311
08-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Remove all philips head screws and the ins panel ones will be behind it. Just like sidemarker sockets. Im going to wire in a led strip light from the s series blazer roof mount brake light once I get the new lca mounts installed

WhiteDevil1311
08-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Imm glad jeep kept the fasteners simple. I had to remove the dash panel to get the 2" oil pres gauge installed. Took less then 45 mins start to finish for me once I realized jeep kept it SAE real

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Imm glad jeep kept the fasteners simple. I had to remove the dash panel to get the 2" oil pres gauge installed. Took less then 45 mins start to finish for me once I realized jeep kept it SAE real

Done it so many times i can get the cluster out, in, and buttoned up in 10 minutes! :D Everyone should start with a jeep, makes you an expert once you fix it three times in a row. :rolleyes:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

WhiteDevil1311
08-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Hah. Im a sbc guru then lol. Ripped thru those in 8 hours. I broke my xj today and have had to use the grand prix twice...I miss the xj

Joliet Johnny
08-29-2014, 04:36 AM
I have a folder on my phone called "Jeep" which is a collection of screenshots, pictures of parts boxes, pictures of fluid bottles, insurance card and license plate. You can save google drive files for offline viewing but you cant edit them while offline.