PDA

View Full Version : Welded diff

dusty88
08-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Hey been awhile since I've been on. Anyway I wanted to see if anyone on here has a welded rear diff and drives daily on it. I know people talk about how the tires will chirp and wear down faster and all but is it really that terrible. I got a sweet deal on a ford 8.8 with 31 spline chromo shafts and disc brakes and he's throwing in a locker for the d30 for free! Can't really pass up on a deal like that. I'm moving down to the Houston area in October and im only taking one car so you can guess which one I chose. Just wanted to see if people had run it on the streets and what there experiences have been. Just need it to get me to work and back till I can afford to buy a DD.

abebehrmann
08-16-2014, 05:50 PM
The only person on here that I know has a welded diff is OnearmedArrowSlinger but his isn't a DD.

4.3LXJ
08-16-2014, 06:34 PM
I think Big Jim has a welded diff. Personally I would never do one on a DD

rabies
08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
welded dif is a major major nono on the road. unles...you dont care like me :D
drift on accident every turn if you goose it.
torture on your axles. hassle when turning. etc.
makes for sweet burnouts though

downsy
08-18-2014, 07:37 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/225032_1023455912788_4429_n.jpg

I ran a "Lincoln Locked" 8.25 for a few years in the back of the above pictured XJ. After a while I kind of got tired of it especially when the wife was driving it but boy did it crawl over stuff haha. I wound up having an open carrier installed back in it and then put a Lock Right up front in the Dana 30.

I actually liked the way it crawled over obstacles better with the locker up front and the rear open. IMO this is the best way to setup a daily driver unless you can afford a selectable locker or something like a Detroit TruTrac in the rear. That's how mine will be setup eventually.

On the 97 I have no one of the first things I did was put a Lock Right up front. When you are in 2WD on the street it's just like not having lockers at all other than a few clicks and clanks here and there.