PDA

View Full Version : '99 XJ is Chirping (or churping) on start up

Red Octopus
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Chirping (or churping) on start up
My ’99 XJ(6cyl) has started ‘chirping’ when I start up after it has been sitting. Here’s what happens – On a cold start it ‘chirps’ and then when the engine has warmed up the noise tapers off to nothing.
At first I thought that the belt needed lube ‘cause it sounded like the old style V belts did when dry. So I got some belt dressing – squirted the heck out of it and – nothing, it still chirps. A little bit less but it still chirps till everything warms up.
What to do? Besides hitting my head against the wall. . . . :bang:

4.3LXJ
08-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Is that belt tight? Sounds like a typical loose belt

Pookapotamus
08-12-2014, 08:59 PM
So this chirping is only when sitting still? A/c on? What does the tensioner feel like? Possibly the clutch fan? Give us a little more info, where does it should like it's coming from?

Rocco83
08-12-2014, 09:34 PM
I had that problem on mine until i tightened the belt tensioner. After a good tightening I haven't had the problem since.

tommy guns
08-13-2014, 02:16 AM
Maybe the A/C clutch

bluedragon436
08-13-2014, 08:44 AM
My 98XJ used to do that same thing, and I always thought it was odd that it'd stop doing it after it warmed up for just a few minutes... One day I thought to check my belt and it felt a little loose, so I tightened it up, and that seemed to stop it from chirping.. It would still throw out a chirp here and there, but not very often, and not but for a quick second.. unlike the way it was before when it would do it every startup

JargonXJ
08-14-2014, 11:03 AM
My 98XJ used to do that same thing, and I always thought it was odd that it'd stop doing it after it warmed up for just a few minutes... One day I thought to check my belt and it felt a little loose, so I tightened it up, and that seemed to stop it from chirping.. It would still throw out a chirp here and there, but not very often, and not but for a quick second.. unlike the way it was before when it would do it every startup

I had the same thing. Kept having to tighten it every other month or so to get rid of the chirping. Finally just replaced the belt. Problem solved. :D