PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

Mudderoy
08-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Engine turns over slowly then starts.

Put a charger/tester on it. Battery reads 13.5 volts with the engine running. Charge show full, Alternator show 0%

Stop the engine battery shows 12.5 volts.

I read this as battery is fully charged and alternator isn't having to charge the battery.

So assuming battery is good, it would have to be the starter, or the battery cable running to the starter?

4.3LXJ
08-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Assuming connections are good, yes

bluedragon436
08-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Which Jeep is this one?? I only ask cause I know you just did the alt. on both the XJ's.. so I'd def say check all connections from battery down to alt, battery to starter for sure.. something might have just come loose for whatever random reason!!

Mudderoy
08-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Assuming connections are good, yes

Well the heat has been on recently so I figured the battery "red top" decided to die on me.

I did a quick trip to Sam's Club to pick up a Yellow Top, but they didn't have the one I needed, so I just got another Red Top.

Came home installed it and same problem. Ran the engine for a bit and tried it again, still very slow start like a low battery.

Battery charger says otherwise. I was just too hot to keep messing with it so I came inside and cooled off.

I'd say alternator connection is good since it's keeping the battery charged and showing almost 14 volts on the gauge.

It must be the cable running to the starter, or the starter itself.

4.3LXJ
08-10-2014, 11:57 PM
That could be. Starters can get weak

Brasscatz
08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Happened to me and was my starter. Was really caked with oil, grime and grease. Exhibited slow cranking until it finally quit cranking one day. Having to change it out in the parking lot at work was not fun. New start cranked so fast it was running before I got a full key turn lol

Mudderoy
08-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Well out of the shower... replaced the starter, all is right with the world.

Sadly my old starter has been turning fast and starting fine up until about a month ago. Had one slow start that unless you knew the vehicle you probably wouldn't have noticed.

Then all the sudden this weekend when I was putting the front shocks on, real slow start. Thought it wasn't going to turn over fast enough to start!

Oh well I made it back and forth to work today. Picked up the starter and waited for the rain to cool everything off.

It was nice laying under the Jeep with the garage fan blowing. The starter was at the perfect height with the 6.5" lift and 33" tires. :D