PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh

Tobyspaw
08-08-2014, 07:54 PM
2001 cherokee has no guages working tonight and the motor sounds different.It was fine yesterday morning. What could have happened in 36 hours just sitting. Im new to the jeep and hope someone knows a possible cause.

Tobyspaw
08-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Forgot to add its a 4.0 automatic 4x4,140,000 miles.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2014, 09:11 PM
These Jeeps, both XJs and TJs have bad connections in the dash. If you smack the dash a good one the gauges will probably work again. Honest

Tobyspaw
08-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Ok..I did the 1 thru 10 countdown holding the trip meter button in and all guages are working now. Thats great.But, why did this need to be done. Is this going to happen again? I think the engine noise problem was because i just spent 2 days in my much quieter car.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Yes, some imagination there probably. Yes, it may happen again. As I said, it is common in OBII Jeeps. You can remove the gauge cluster and clean all contacts if you want

XJ Wheeler
08-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Sounds like your hamster forgot to clock in before he got on the wheel.

:D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Sounds like your hamster forgot to clock in before he got on the wheel.

:D

:smiley-laughing021:

Tobyspaw
08-09-2014, 03:43 AM
I will clean those contacts.Thanks 4.3LXJ.

Tobyspaw
08-09-2014, 03:42 PM
No bus is now on. Havent cleaned contacts yet.May replace bulbs while in there. OK to put dielectric grease on pins when cleaned up?

4.3LXJ
08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't put it on the large plug. It might allow power bleed between contacts

abebehrmann
08-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Very easy to pull the gauges out to clean the contacts. All you need is a Philips screwdriver.

Tobyspaw
08-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Update..still havent cleaned contacts yet.Busy with work. Will report back with results. You guys are great,appreciate the help.

Pookapotamus
08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Update..still havent cleaned contacts yet.Busy with work. Will report back with results. You guys are great,appreciate the help.

We all start small buddy, glad you found this forum, great group of people with awesome advice and very little attitude! Good luck and keep asking those questions!

Tobyspaw
08-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes sir,many more questions will follow..Are you Pook with that awsome yellow cherokee with all those beautiful mods,vented hood ,rear tire carrier with camera in it,is that your xj?

Pookapotamus
08-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Yup that's me, the awesome broken down yellow xj! 😢

Tobyspaw
08-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Sorry its broke...Nice work,you are very talented.

Pookapotamus
08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
That's just part of the fun of owning a jeep!

Speaking of which I think we need pics of yours!

Tobyspaw
08-13-2014, 09:03 PM
I know,i know will try to get pics on for the weekend.

Tobyspaw
08-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Sorry no pics yet..I've been working on the jeep.Installed an 8.25 rear,40,000 miles on it.Front eye bolts were a challenge, but it's in and seems to be working good. I've got rusty rockers that need replaced, thinking junk yard sawzall donor and get a mig welder.Lots of small things. It's fun, good therapy.

4.3LXJ
08-23-2014, 10:55 PM
If you haven't been listening to our podcast, I have been going over welding tips. In a future segment I will be addressing replacing body parts with spot welds etc.

XJ Wheeler
08-23-2014, 11:43 PM
If you would like you can do rectangular tubing instead of the stock rockers. Mine is rusted out too and i plan on doing this.

Tobyspaw
08-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Possibly..but I like the stock look of the rockers. I won't be doing any rock crawling with mine, but it would be be an easier fix. And haven't had time to check the podcasts out yet, but I will. Front end is next. Disassemble, blast and paint good parts, replace worn parts. Stock suspension for now. Any recommendations on good stock shock choices? Front and rear.Engine seems to have an odd mild grinding noise, don't know where it's coming from. I'm going to remove the serpentine belt to see if it's the A/C compressor.

XJ Wheeler
08-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Another reason for me doing them is strength. Sheet metal and tubing are on two different worlds as far as strength. Plus if rust plagues them again it will take far longer to rust through. Just another option. ;)

Tobyspaw
08-26-2014, 05:30 PM
How do you plan on attaching them? This is starting to sound interesting. What size piece of steel would you use. (I don't mean length). Would you remove just the outside of your factory rockers to do this?

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2014, 06:12 PM
How do you plan on attaching them? This is starting to sound interesting. What size piece of steel would you use. (I don't mean length). Would you remove just the outside of your factory rockers to do this?

If you don't want them to stick out, like the factory i would go with 2"x4". But 2"x6" would give more coverage and protection. In basic terms you cut off the side facing you (is standing looking at the side of your jeep) and the bottom and weld in the tubing. Now, if you plan to use them for rock rails you need to tie them into the frame and plate the frame at those points to spread the load. But if you just want to replace the stock rockers with them you will be fine just doing the first part. There's a good bit of info on this and i'll find some and post it here in a little bit.

I just hate "fixing", when there's a chance to make it better and more unique.

XJ Wheeler
08-27-2014, 02:14 AM
Okay, so after quite a bit of searching I found tons of info. Sadly its spread out so widely its hard to get it together and most threads don't have working pictures. So I offer this one that gives some pictures that give the basic idea.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/2x6-rocker-build-115338/

Tobyspaw
08-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks XJ Wheeler, I think I"m going to do just that. I will use the 2x4 though,I don't like the extra outreach of mud covered rockers getting my pant legs dirty every time I get out of the vehicle. Thank you for the idea and the research.

XJ Wheeler
08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks XJ Wheeler, I think I"m going to do just that. I will use the 2x4 though,I don't like the extra outreach of mud covered rockers getting my pant legs dirty every time I get out of the vehicle. Thank you for the idea and the research.

Anytime! Good luck with the project and post some pictures of your work!