PDA

View Full Version : 1999 jeep cherokee

dragonkee
08-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi my name is justin. I have 1999 cherokee I have been geting a lowed pop in the frunt of my jeep and cant figer it out. Was wundering if anyone would have any ideas. I have replaced my trackbar, all u joints, new shocks, and all my tie rods,I have checked my lower control arms and my upers seem to be in good shape. It pops in 4x4 and when its out it onlly dus it when I flex and when I turn. I hope someone can hellp me figer it out. Thanks for your alls time

NW99XJ
08-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi Justin, I see this is your first post.... let me welcome you to XJ Talk....
I think you'll find we're a pretty cool bunch, and can be very helpfull too!

The popping your experiencing could be a number of things.... to further diagnose and isolate the problem, I would have someone get in the jeep and with the engine off,
have them turn the wheel as far to one side as they can, and back several times, while YOU examine all the steering linkage for excess movement.
Look for movement in the tie rod ends at both knuckles, and at the drag link.
Pay special attention to the end of the track bar as well.... I know you said you replaced it, but that doesn't account for the mounting locations,
which on the dana 30 on Our XJ's can wallow out on the axle side... here;s what mine looked like when I had this same issue:
http://youtu.be/tIFRXETADBA

...on the frame/unibody side...the mount can become a bit loose...even if the bolts LOOK tight,
...all it takes is 1/32" of movement and you'll start hearing noises.
Also check the steering box for excess play in both the selector shaft (out put) as well as the mounts themselves.
The other possible culprit is going to be the unit bearings...if these go out, they can cause all sorts of noise.....
To test for damage/excess wear... jack up one front corner at a time...
Grab the wheel at the 9 and 3 o clock positions and with all your might, start trying to move the tire back and forth, do the same at the 6 and 12 o clock positions.
If you have any play at all, then you have some issues that need to be dealt with.
DO THIS AFTER you have eliminated the possibility of any other worn steering component.

Good luck... report back your findings and we'll go from there.

XJ Wheeler
08-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Try checking the trackbar mount on the frame, some have found them loose and can do that. Also, check the steering box bolts for tightness, box spacer for cracks, and frame around the box for cracks.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Sounds like it could be your ball joints too. Been a rash of ball joints going out on xjtalk it seems.... something in the water maybe

slvmart
08-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Also, don't forget to check those, all too frequently forgotten, axle shaft u-joints.

Mudderoy
08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Hi my name is justin. I have 1999 cherokee I have been geting a lowed pop in the frunt of my jeep and cant figer it out. Was wundering if anyone would have any ideas. I have replaced my trackbar, all u joints, new shocks, and all my tie rods,I have checked my lower control arms and my upers seem to be in good shape. It pops in 4x4 and when its out it onlly dus it when I flex and when I turn. I hope someone can hellp me figer it out. Thanks for your alls time

Correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't a Cherokee, it's a Grand Cherokee?