PDA

View Full Version : Beadlocks

Rocco83
08-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Anyone use beadlocks as your everyday rims for driving around? I know there are issues with getting them balanced as the outside is going to be much heavier than the inside. I can't imagine them being able to balance right, but I am trying to justify getting them as I'm having a hard time thinking about spending 1800 on a set of rims i'll only use on the trail.

4.3LXJ
08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
They have issues with the bolts coming untorqued as well. There are better alternatives. Internal bead locks work with your present rims and are much cheaper. Also Interco has a rim with heavier beads that are supposed to be almost as good

bluedragon436
08-03-2014, 06:58 PM
We got a guy in a semi local Jeep club he runs beadlocks on his Jeep which is mainly a trail rig, but does get driven quite often on the road, as well as on his Ram 2500 which is a DD rig, trail rig hauler and hauls a trailer with equipment on it almost every day but he runs balancing beads in his tires.. He said never really had too many issues as far as the balancing on the outside compared to the inside so much.. but just in general it made it easier to keep balanced normally, as well as once mud, rocks or dirt got packed on the rims & tires...

Pookapotamus
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I run walker evens beadlocks with 33/13.5/15 toyo open countries, I have never balanced them and I have zero vibes. I have run them for a little over a year, and just retourqued them yesterday, I think there was one bolt out of 5 rims that turned a little. I have had no issues at all running them, I have been told that the toyos are a very well made tire, that helps them to be balanced in the first place and the walker evens are the only DOT approved beadlock. Or maybe I'm just lucky!

Rocco83
08-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I run walker evens beadlocks with 33/13.5/15 toyo open countries, I have never balanced them and I have zero vibes. I have run them for a little over a year, and just retourqued them yesterday, I think there was one bolt out of 5 rims that turned a little. I have had no issues at all running them, I have been told that the toyos are a very well made tire, that helps them to be balanced in the first place and the walker evens are the only DOT approved beadlock. Or maybe I'm just lucky!

Holy crap, never balanced them ever? Haha
Any issues with uneven tire wear?

Pookapotamus
08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
So far nothing, there could be a lot of factors as to why I have no vibes too, long arms, rear coils, weight of the jeep, tire psi. Like I said maybe I just got lucky, but does seem to be a great combination

bluedragon436
08-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Do you run or have you heard of anyone running any kind of thread locker on their bolts to help with any backing of the bolts??

Pookapotamus
08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
No not running thread locker, haven't heard of anyone else running it either, to be honest did not know it was an issue.

bluedragon436
08-03-2014, 08:18 PM
No not running thread locker, haven't heard of anyone else running it either, to be honest did not know it was an issue.

I never really knew it was an issue either... But I think for me, especially if I plan on running them down the road, I would have done it anyways... just to keep from having the chance of any issues out on the road... Then again I mean I guess if I torque the bolts which I'd hope someone would do... I'd just check em here and there to make sure they are still good, and that should be sufficient enough I'd think.. but never hurts to have a little added insurance by running thread locker...

Pookapotamus
08-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I think because they are steel bolts in an aluminum rim, they corrode in place, a steel on steel rim threadlocker would be a good idea.

bluedragon436
08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah that is true, and makes plenty of sense..

Pookapotamus
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
You think we are done hijacking this thread? Sorry Rocco!

Rocco83
08-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Anything beadlock related is more than welcome. It is nice to know any and all issues that may arise before I make the purchase. I'd probably use thread locker myself, but being paranoid as I am I would most likely check them occasionally. I used Spyderlocks in the past on my YJ, but only for the trails and would switch them out each time. Was a real PITA. The balancing issue always bothered me. I see a lot of sim locks around here on the roads, but never the real thing. Had me wondering if it was a price issue, or a mechanical issue with running them on the road for DDs.

4.3LXJ
08-03-2014, 09:30 PM
There is one more thing, there is only one DOT rated bead lock, and it ain't cheap. There is always the risk of the proverbial fix it ticket for non DOT rims on the highway. But you can be sure if you get pulled over for flares, the wheels will be thrown in. If you don't have a spare set of tires, then it could be expensive. Personally, when I upgrade it will be with the internal bead locks. There is another issue and that is with tires like Swampers, with stiff sidewalls, you can loose the inside bead under low pressure. Had it happen while my son was watching. The internal bead locks seal both beads tight and act as a run flat too when you need it as long as you are running a radial tire

Rocco83
08-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Internal beadlocks ain't cheap either haha. I do understand your point though of being able to seal both beads, being able to act as a run flat, and I like the issue of it not affecting the balancing of the wheels. Another option to explore.

I've been plotting my Jeep money out for the next year to see when I can get what. I'm caught up on all my bills to the point that all I have to spend money on is cell each month and my gas money for work until May 2015. Rest of my money can go straight into the Jeep :)

4.3LXJ
08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a nice build thread coming

Rocco83
08-03-2014, 10:18 PM
2014: lift, roof rack, suspension/steering upgrades, paint
2015: gears, axles, lockers, rims, tires, cb/ham
2016: interior, cage, bigger axles to build, diesel conversion, lights

Depending on how things look heading into summer next year and whether or not I head back to school to knock out another degree I may move my 2016 items into 2015. Then I'll just have to move out west where they have no water, but the rocks are bigger.