PDA

View Full Version : Safety razors

bad luck
08-02-2014, 02:57 PM
I know this has nothing to do with jeeps, but if your sick and tired of paying insane prices for disposable razors like I was, this may interest you. I got fed up with the crazy expensive prices they want for refill mach 3 cartridges or whatever they call them. So a couple years ago, I started shaving with the old style safety razors, like when I was a teenager. I really don't know why I ever stopped using these things. They work just as well if not better than the disposable razors, and are so much cheaper. I found an old Schick Krona and an old Gillette razor in an antique store, for $5. apiece. After getting them home and cleaning them up with scrubbing bubbles they look brand new. The Gillette has a date code on it even. It was produced in the third quarter of 1966. I don't know when the Schick was made sometime in the 60's or maybe the early 70's I think. But I use the old time Williams mug soap and a badger brush for lather, and it's so much nicer than a disposable and canned soap. I probably have enough soap and double edge blades to last for years now. If you would, please post your favorite way to shave. My wife bought me the Merkur razor in the pic, it's pretty damn good too. Even though it's brand new. I don't have the Gillette included in the pic because my son borrowed it to take with him on a trip.

bluedragon436
08-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I hated paying the prices for the Mach 3 blades that I used for many years, and went to an electric razor.. which for me works great cause I just charge it when I'm flying if I didn't get a chance to charge it at home, and whenever I need too hit up a shave, whether it be in a hotel room, tent latrine in the sand box, driving or even flying I can hit up a quick shave if need be.. has saved my butt a few times where I'm running late for work, and run out the door only to remember I haven't shaved yet, so I grab my razor and head out...

Now I flew with a loadmaster a few months back and he used a newer razor similar to what you have there in the pic, and he loves it.. and after talking to him I thought it was a pretty cool deal.. So as I am looking at my time in the AF possibly coming to an end.. I have thought about picking one up and giving it a try, and if nothing else I"ll make use of it when I'm at home... I'd actually like to find some older ones like the ones you found in antique stores... heck I like venturing through them anyways, so might as well have something else to look for while I'm there if I decide I like those type for shaving... Where do you pick up the soap and brush from anyways??

bad luck
08-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I bought the soap and brush from Amazon a couple years ago, the soap is Williams Mug shaving soap it's been around since 1840 and still made in the U.S. I do like the old Gillette and Schick razors that you twist to open with a knob on the bottom of the handle. And the Gillette is adjustable besides. I think it's my favorite of the 3 that I own, But there is a company called West Coast Shaving or something that carries almost anything you could want. I was surprised when my wife wanted to go in a mall up in Salt Lake City that there was a shaving store in the mall too. But the prices were much higher than Amazon. Good Luck when you leave the military and thanks for serving.

Brasscatz
08-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I have the Gillette Fusion and it works very well. I too am appalled about the prices of the refills, and found the Dollar Shave Club. I think it's a pretty good deal, but if you research further you find that the Dollar Shave Club gets it razors from Dorco and you can too even cheaper than the Dollar Shave Club! As soon as my current Fusion refills run out, I'm buying from http://www.dorcousa.com. I only shave once or twice a week anyways and razors last me a long time.

As for shave cream, I have used the gels, the typical Barbisol, among others. My wife got a free sample of Beard Lube from one of her Sephora trips and I love the stuff. It's in a little tube and I love that it goes on clear on your face. When you have any facial hair that you shave around, you know that it's annoying to get the lines just right through a thick white foam.... not anymore! The downside is that it is stupidly expensive. I think what I have now is a similar cream now made by (I think) Nivea For Men and it is very similar, but not quite as good.

4.3LXJ
08-02-2014, 04:45 PM
You are right, blades are too expensive. My solution was to shave in the shower. I use regular Irish Spring soap, not that it makes any difference. I leave the soap on for a few minutes and shave. I get blades to last about 2 months, and I don't have peach fuzz for a beard. If you want a really smooth shave, use hair conditioner the same way. You won't know you have whiskers afterwards

jeepin_idaho
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only one using those things! Buying 10 blades for $1.50 is much more appealing. I wandered through The Art Of Shaving in a mall once and picked up their starter kit just to try it out. Turns out that you can get similar stuff from elsewhere for cheaper. I've been extremely pleased with the results but I must admit that I have nicked myself a few times. But now I also don't get bumps/irritation/ingrown hairs on my neck. That is worth it more than anything else. And since those blades are so cheap, I don't mind throwing them away the moment I start to feel any pull at all.

Rocco83
08-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Doesn't matter what I use to shave I get shave bumps. It was bad enough they gave me a shaving waiver in the military. I use the same electric hair trimmer I use on my head on my beard and just use a 1 guard all the way around to avoid the bumps, I'd love to be much more clean shaven but it isn't in the cards. I've had the high dollar hot towel shaves done before and still get the bumps :(

bluedragon436
08-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Doesn't matter what I use to shave I get shave bumps. It was bad enough they gave me a shaving waiver in the military. I use the same electric hair trimmer I use on my head on my beard and just use a 1 guard all the way around to avoid the bumps, I'd love to be much more clean shaven but it isn't in the cards. I've had the high dollar hot towel shaves done before and still get the bumps :(

I get the bumps on my neck, but that is about it.. I've found that is usually better when I use an electric razor over a stander razor though, so long as the blades are still sharp.. But not enough bumps to get a waiver though.. oh well, it's all good!!

cantab27
08-07-2014, 12:02 AM
mmmm anygood on the legs

bluedragon436
08-07-2014, 04:18 AM
mmmm anygood on the legs

Probably depends on how hairy you were to start with!! :smiley-taunt002:

bad luck
08-07-2014, 07:20 AM
mmmm anygood on the legs

I guess some guys are into shaving their nether regions, but I go au natural.

Rocco83
08-07-2014, 08:13 AM
The legs are lower than my range when manscaping. I guess my chicken legs would look entirely too feminine shaved.

xj-jake
08-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I started using these razors about a year ago and not only is the price better but the shave is better. I love shaving now as compared to before when I dreaded it.

TimmyTXJ
08-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Robert I switched to a similar setup a few years back. I love my Merkur. I've tried several different types of blades but have found the Feather blades to be the best. I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (Sandalwood). I used to have to shave every day with my electric now I can go 3 days because the shave is so much closer.

OneArmArrowSlinger
08-07-2014, 09:09 AM
I may have to try these. I get bumps & ingrown hairs so bad that I quit shaving my face except to trim the lines of my beard, and I still get ingrown hairs & such. I've found if I shave in the hot shower w/ bar soap, shampoo or conditioner it works out much better for me than shaving cream, it makes me break out pretty bad. Will def have to look into these cuz I know that the old school soap & brush works for me as well.

bad luck
08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Robert I switched to a similar setup a few years back. I love my Merkur. I've tried several different types of blades but have found the Feather blades to be the best. I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (Sandalwood). I used to have to shave every day with my electric now I can go 3 days because the shave is so much closer.

Tim, I haven't tried the Feather blades yet. I have been using the Personna blades, and I like them. I think I may try a sampler pack of different blades though. And I haven't tried that shave cream either. I do have a tube of Proraso and I like that fine, it lathers up a lot easier than the Williams. I try to shave every other day, so a blade lasts me about a week. Huge savings over the disposables.

xj-jake
08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I may have to try these. I get bumps & ingrown hairs so bad that I quit shaving my face except to trim the lines of my beard, and I still get ingrown hairs & such. I've found if I shave in the hot shower w/ bar soap, shampoo or conditioner it works out much better for me than shaving cream, it makes me break out pretty bad. Will def have to look into these cuz I know that the old school soap & brush works for me as well.

That's exactly why I went this way. My ingrown hairs and bumps have greatly diminished since I started shaving this way.