PDA

View Full Version : Noise in the front end?

ekaybe
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
About a month or so ago I backed out of the drive way and heard a loud pop/clunk when I stopped, then again when I put it in drive and proceeded to drive forward. It sounds like it's coming from the right front which is consistent with when it happens. It happens reversing straight on a flat surface, stop, pop, forward, stop, pop. I wasn't that concerned about it until it happened when I was turning right in a normal driving situation. Never happens when turning left or backing out of the driveway to the left. Only the right. Or forward and backward on a flat surface going straight. IT HAS ME STUMPED, I've even had it on the lift at the shop and wiggled everything looked at everything. Anyways, it's so consistent now I was able to take a video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TW-z8zdrIg&feature=youtu.be

4.3LXJ
07-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Full time 4WD Emily?

ekaybe
07-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Nope, selectable 4 wheel drive. Oh I might add it's a 1999 XJ

4.3LXJ
07-30-2014, 12:21 PM
OK, first thing you should check is your motor mounts. You might have an engine shifting back and forth. Not totally serious, but certainly annoying

bluedragon436
07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
What about when it is sitting on the ground and your turn to the right without rolling, does it do it then??

ekaybe
07-30-2014, 09:13 PM
What about when it is sitting on the ground and your turn to the right without rolling, does it do it then??

Nope.

ekaybe
01-22-2015, 02:05 AM
Just remembered I posted a thread here about this....now I see why I forgot. THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS! Still have the same noise, nothing has broken and fallen off it yet so I guess I'm doin good. With that being said I'd like to get rid of the clunk/pop noise before something DOES fall off. Getting really tired of all of my passengers and bystanders cringing every time I back out and all I can say "oh you know, it's a Jeep thing". So if any of you guys have experienced a similar problem I'd love for you to save me a trip outside crawling around on the ground for the 59th time.

slvmart
01-22-2015, 04:26 AM
It might be good to have someone observe the front end, from under the vehicle. See if anything can be seen that corresponds to that noise.

bcrosson92
01-22-2015, 10:29 AM
it sounds like a bad balljoint to me. or tie rod end

4.3LXJ
01-22-2015, 10:45 AM
On that note Emily, try steering the wheels back and forth while not moving. If you get the pop then, you can narrow it down to a steering component. And as said, it might be bushings on the suspension links.

bcrosson92
01-22-2015, 10:59 AM
if it doesn't while moving the steering check the control arms bushings

ekaybe
04-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Control arms have like half inch side to side play HA