PDA

View Full Version : Steering help! Please!

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Ok guys I really need some advice.
I have a 97 cherokee with a 6.5" long arm kit and 35's.
After installing the lift over a year ago my steering has been all over the place.
Meaning it pulls left and right. From 20mph to about 50 mph. And when i say pulls it will pull say to the left, I start to steer back to the right and boom its pulling right hard and it will go back and forth like this. and its downright scary. I cant control my jeeps steering at all in those speeds.
Here are a list of things ive tried to do to fix this.

[LIST]
Alignment
wheel bearing
heim steering
drop pitman arm
custom track bar
frame stiffeners
Steering box brace

I am pretty much down to it either being the steering box or pump. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Please Help

prerunner1982
07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
I would suspect the steering box... or the "frame" where the steering box mounts is broken, but you probably would have noticed that if you were under there replacing all the other parts.

The top of the steering box has a nut/allen wrench adjustement to adjust the backlash in the steering gear. May try adjusting that first, but it sounds bad enough to replace the box.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I would take a look at that "alignment". The symptoms you describe sound exactly like the tires are towed out a bunch. If that isn't it, then the box will need to be replaced. The pump either works or it doesn't so you can rule that out right away

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Also i want to add that I added a steering box brace. And I did double check the alignment and everything appears to be correct also i played with camber and toe. toeing in or out made no difference and camber made no difference. I was suspecting the box and i played with the backlash screw and the problem seemed to be slightly better. The problem for me is that the box doesnt make any noise or seem sloppy so im not sure how it could be bad?

4.3LXJ
07-29-2014, 12:53 PM
How did you determine the toe in was right? Camber needs to be at 5°

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
07-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Broken stock Aluminum steering box spacer?

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
I used a string,jack stands and a tape measurer there is a good video on youtube on how to use this method. Ive used it on other lifted vehicles and works quite well.

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 01:01 PM
And as for camber positive or negative camber made no difference.

NW99XJ
07-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Unless it is to be a TRAIL ONLY vehicle, meaning trailered to & from the trail.... I would have a profession alignment done no matter what. YES I know how to do a backyard alignment, and I have gotten it down pretty good to where I can get it to within an 1/8" of an inch.... but thats not good enough and there are other factors as well.
Also:
Have you had someone stter the jeep (with both the engine running & not) while you inspect ALL of the steering components, and their respective mounting locations?

Have you verified that your axle is centered? Just because the track bar is on, and the ends are in good condition, does not mean the axle is where it is supposed to be.

Have you checked your ball joints?

What does the wear on your tires say about the alignment? Wear patterns on the tires can tell alot about what the steering is doing.

If all checks out to be good, then I too would look at the steering box, but before I go and throw money at that, I would double and triple check EVERYTHING else first.
Once you get the steering box out, really go over the frame wit a fine tooth comb, look for stress cracks or fractures of any kind, drill the ends, grind open, and fill any that pop up. now would be a good time to reinforce the whole area. If you havent already, replace the stock steering spacer with a more beefy version.
I would also recommend stepping up to a bigger box, like the one from a 98-99 V8 Dodge Durango. If you want to go overboard, then mate that with a pump from a WJ, and an overdrive pulley from PSC.

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Looks like I'll be going for the steering box. I have double triple and quadruple checked everything. Hopefully this solves the issue.

For the Durango box i know there is a debate between with or without snow plow. I'm liking the looks of with snow plow because according to Napa it has 3 3/8 turns compared to without snow plow having 2 15/16 turns.
Any other advantages or disadvantages.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
One just turns faster that is all

xjfreak97
07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
SO im guessing the snow plow model must have a higher gear ratio equaling more turns but easier to turn larger tires/heavier front end? which if that is the case sounds good to me and its $40 cheaper than the other.

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2014, 01:03 AM
What is the "heim steering" you mentioned? I am wondering if you might be suffering from "tie rod roll" if its a custom setup.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

xj-jake
08-01-2014, 09:13 AM
I put in a Durango box with plow setup. Noticeably better in ease of steering and less wandering on the road. Got mine from the junk yard for $65

xjfreak97
08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info XJ-Jake!