PDA

View Full Version : Question about gauge clusters ????

DanXJ97
07-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Since I have do my evap and have the dash apart I read somewhere that from 97 to 01 that you could update your cluster from idiot lights to gauges. There was no senor changes just the swap is this true. Maybe a link here on xjforum?? Thanks, Dan

Mudderoy
07-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Since I have do my evap and have the dash apart I read somewhere that from 97 to 01 that you could update your cluster from idiot lights to gauges. There was no senor changes just the swap is this true. Maybe a link here on xjforum?? Thanks, Dan

Someone correct me here, but the cluster is pretty easy to remove with the dash in. So if you want to do it before, during or after it should be fine.

I've not done the swap, but I seem to remember it's unplug, plug and play.

Here's a write up on pre 97

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Interior/Instrument_Cluster.htm

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2014, 04:22 PM
I believe you are correct. The older XJs would need the sensors swapped but to my knowledge the '97+ models do not. Its well worth the effort though.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

abebehrmann
07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I actually just did this over the weekend. Went to the junkyard and pulled a full gauge cluster for $25 then came home and installed it. I was really surprised how easy it was. I work SLOW as compared to most other people and the whole thing from start to finish literally took me 30min. Once you get the 4 screws off that hold the gauges in, it just pops straight out of the connectors in back then you pop in the new gauges. Unfortunately the one I pulled wasn't working properly (the oil pressure went to 80 before I even turned the Jeep on and the odometer read 804k), which I sort of expected being a little beat up but I figured it was worth the risk. I CAN tell you that all other gauges worked properly so I know for a fact you don't have to replace those. Luckily my junkyard accepts returns so as soon as they get in another late model XJ, I'm going back for a new one. After you get one, and you check it is working properly, I've been told my a number of people that any Chrysler dealership can program your actual mileage into the new one but I've heard it is a little pricy (~$100). Not quite sure if it's worth it for me, considering I don't plan on ever selling it but to others this might be well worth the money.

DanXJ97
07-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks, There are a couple of people on eBay that reprogram them for $65.00 plus shipping. Dan

DanXJ97
08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi everybody, I got one out of a 2000 Cherokee and everything works great. I put blue leds in it and that gave it a really cool look. Thanks for the input on this project. Dan

XJ Wheeler
08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Hi everybody, I got one out of a 2000 Cherokee and everything works great. I put blue leds in it and that gave it a really cool look. Thanks for the input on this project. Dan

And no pics?!?! Tisk... Tisk...

:p Sounds good, glad it worked out!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.