PDA

View Full Version : Wheel renewal?

thesupercroc
07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
XJ Talk

I have a set of wheels / rims that have surface rust and I want to repaint them. For rust removal I will soda blast them. For paint I will use rustoleum camo tan.

I have a couple of thing I want to be sure of before I start.

Is it ok to paint the whole rim inside and out?

What would be a good primer to use on them?

After I get them repainted they will 31" tires put on them!

sent from carrier pigeon

bluedragon436
07-29-2014, 06:57 AM
I'd say as far as painting them, I'd only do the face surface up to the bead portion.. That way once the tires are on they'll look like they are painted all the way through, but not have paint that might allow the tire to slip or cause air to leak past the tire if it flakes or has any kind of air pockets or anything else.. As far as the primer.. I'd say if you can find some self etching primer that'd work best, IIRC from what I've read over the years when I was looking at refinishing my old rims I had on the XJ, since they were pitted and dull from lack of care prior to me having them..

Brasscatz
08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I think James said it all. ;) Can't wait to see the finished product

Philxj4L
08-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Another +1 for what's been said. I would advixpse using a good quality mask when using acid etch primer. :) Oh, and don't forget to change your clothes after.
I didn't, was coughing and spluttering the rest of the night !

Rocco83
08-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't even bother with all that. Just plastidip it whatever color your heart desires! :p

rabies
08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
i had brand new wheels. spray painted the whole deal with no masking. front and back. then put tires on. tires have held air.
use self etching primer. but sand off the rust.
harbor freight has open media blasters that can take all that junk off. much easier. but messy and you need to suit up

thesupercroc
08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
i had brand new wheels. spray painted the whole deal with no masking. front and back. then put tires on. tires have held air.
use self etching primer. but sand off the rust.
harbor freight has open media blasters that can take all that junk off. much easier. but messy and you need to suit up
I have a media blaster from HF and soda media to take the paint and most of the rust off.

I was not able to find self etching primer. But I found this http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/06/u9umuzyn.jpg that sounds think should work.
Hopefully later today I can get to work on it

sent from carrier pigeon