PDA

View Full Version : My buddy got an XJ

07Negative
07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
The guy I bought my XJ from became a friend after the purchase. We after 5 years in a BMW. He wanted an XJ again. He drove out to Modesto (yuck!) and got a 98 limited in that really nice light blew color. He paid $3200 and only 110,000 miles. Lucky bastard has an A/C that blows cold air. It's stock for now. But we cruised out to San Jose today to pick up some 33's MTR's. And a RE 4.5 lift w drop brackets. He just needs leafs & shackles in the rear. I'm giving him back his old Cragers. It's a pretty clean XJ. Even has leather seats. But the clothe seats are way more comfy.
His came with a NP242 t case though. He wants to swap it out for a np231. Why don't folks like the NP242?

bluedragon436
07-27-2014, 08:54 PM
That's awesome.. Just goes to show XJ's are an addiction!! Now you just got to work on getting him to join up here with our dysfunctional family!! LOL

abebehrmann
07-28-2014, 09:40 AM
The guy I bought my XJ from became a friend after the purchase. We after 5 years in a BMW. He wanted an XJ again. He drove out to Modesto (yuck!) and got a 98 limited in that really nice light blew color. He paid $3200 and only 110,000 miles. Lucky bastard has an A/C that blows cold air. It's stock for now. But we cruised out to San Jose today to pick up some 33's MTR's. And a RE 4.5 lift w drop brackets. He just needs leafs & shackles in the rear. I'm giving him back his old Cragers. It's a pretty clean XJ. Even has leather seats. But the clothe seats are way more comfy.
His came with a NP242 t case though. He wants to swap it out for a np231. Why don't folks like the NP242?

Nice! Glad to see people drawn back to the XJ! I think people prefer the NP231 because it has more (and cheaper) aftermarket support (SYEs, low-range kits, etc). I'm with you though, if I lived anywhere near snow I would love to have the np242. Full-time 4wd sure would come in handy.

bluedragon436
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
For the few times I felt I needed 4WD during the snow up here in DE, I'd just put it in 4HI... and it worked just fine for me, and that was driving 35+ miles to work then another 35+ home each day for the 4 years I owned my 98 XJ.. I would think the wear and tear on drivetrain the rest of the year as well as the gas mileage I'd think you'd loose the rest of the year isn't really worth it to me..

07Negative
07-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok. That makes sense. Since we are in the bay area of cali. The characteristics of the 242 is not needed here.

oderdene
07-28-2014, 06:31 PM
mine have a 242 and 4hi is surely best on snow. But i installed traclok on rear and lunchbox locker in front, can't guess how they will handle on snow, will see :D

07Negative
07-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I've got a non selectable in my rear. It sucks in snow. But I'm just not sold on the selectable locker yet.

Mudderoy
07-29-2014, 06:25 AM

I agree! NP231 do have more aftermarket support. I believe you can nearly double the chain size in it as well. For a daily driver the NP242 makes more sense to me.

bluedragon436
07-29-2014, 06:30 AM
I agree! NP231 do have more aftermarket support. I believe you can nearly double the chain size in it as well. For a daily driver the NP242 makes more sense to me.

I do like that you can upgrade to the wide HD chain, as well as upgrade the planetary to a 6 gear set instead of the 3 gear stock all fairly cheap as they are OEM parts from other TC's...

07Negative
07-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Yes, a NP231 can be a frankenstein of a tcase, using Dodge & Jeep stuff. Plus Teraflex 4.1 and I think there is one other thingie in there. FrankZ did just this with his 5.3L swap. He loves it.
I've personally been thinking about swapping out my tcase and having the 4:1 sounds sweet. But using a Rubi tcase cost damn near 2 grand. So at that point. Might as well save for an Atlas for $500 more. But then I think, why not get a 4 speed? Having that wicked low gearing would be flippin sweet, regardless of the terrain. Just like Steve there does.
back to my buddies situation. He's all hell bent on swapping out the 242 for a 231. But I'm not so sure if it's worth the effort. He doesn't even know how often he'll wheel. And the stuff he did before with the Jeep I now own. He'd be fine with what he has.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2014, 02:05 PM
It is his money, but what he has is fine