PDA

View Full Version : Going to the gray side?

thesupercroc
07-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Greetings XJ Talk!

I will be joining grey side tomorrow... I will be picking up a 1978 Jeep CJ! It will need some TLC rust removal, fluid changes, and general stuff like that.

Right now I know it had full doors, a hard top, inline 6 motor and a 3 speed manual transmission.

I have a Haynes manual for it and will be looking for the FSM for it as well.

So I have a few questions that hopefully you'll can answer.

Are there any good websites that have a wide range of info for CJs ?

What if any mods should be done ASAP?

Any other advice on CJs?

My XJ will still be my DD for a long while and I'm sure of what plans will be for the CJ long term as of yet.

4.3LXJ
07-26-2014, 11:41 PM
One piece axle for the AMC 20 is a good place to start. Dual stick conversion for the tcase is always good

bluedragon436
07-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Does that mean you're going to join us over @ WranglerTalk too now??!! I like the ole CJ's.. wish I had an idea where there was one that wasn't a complete rust bucket for a decent enough price... Look forward to seeing pics of the new rig!!

OrangeXJ
07-27-2014, 02:49 PM
I had a 78 cj7 it had a 6" lift on 33's with a v8. It was a beast offroad but a biotch to drive on the street over 50 mph. Did all kinds of things to fix that problem. It got better but never was right. I would not lift it more than 4" that probably would make it more street friendly.

thesupercroc
07-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Does that mean you're going to join us over @ WranglerTalk too now??!! I like the ole CJ's.. wish I had an idea where there was one that wasn't a complete rust bucket for a decent enough price... Look forward to seeing pics of the new rig!!
I did not see any CJ area on Wrangler Talk I might join up any way.

I now on the way to pick up the jeep! They ( my brother will be get a 1980 CJ) are about 5 hours away so tonight I will hope fully get some pics up.

sent from carrier pigeon

4.3LXJ
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
That is true Greg. Lift those and you have problems with getting it to steer straight. It can be fixed though. It requires outside the box thinking

bluedragon436
07-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Nothing wrong with having some semi matching rigs with the Bro!! Look forward to seeing pics of your CJ and also to welcome you to WranglerTalk!!

Rocco83
07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Didn't have much problems with my CJ5 going down the road with 7.5" of lift. In all fairness though it was only putted around town 35mph and slower unless it was on the trails. That rig made me make sure I never have another trail rig that is carbed.

thesupercroc
07-28-2014, 10:31 AM
We picked up the CJs early today. The CJ that would/will be mine was more a parts jeep than running no gas tank the steering gear box is on the floor on the front seat rust though the tub many places tail gate attachment rusted apart . 582158225823

sent from carrier pigeon

thesupercroc
07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
How ever Charles runs well and has less rust 33" tires will need brake work and rust.

5829 5828

The hard tops and doors for are ok. We got a pair of new fenders and diamond plate guards with them.

Right now the plan is to partly part out the red CJ bumpers to the green one. 31" tires to my XJ:D . Some stuff we might sell we will clean the them up a bit first before we do a whole lot more.

sent from carrier pigeon

bluedragon436
07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
So mainly you got the deal to get your brother a CJ and the other to part out then??

thesupercroc
07-28-2014, 01:04 PM
So mainly you got the deal to get your brother a CJ and the other to part out then??
Yeppers I was hoping it was in a little better shape to tinker with and get running as a backup DD / trail rig.

sent from carrier pigeon

gary63
07-28-2014, 07:16 PM
hay it has a hard top and hard doors my CJ has the soft top and doors and you have to wear insulated coveralls in the winter. as for the rust it is most flat and you can diamond plat or steel plat it. I'm trying to get mine ready to take on a train we have here in Washington call the little rattlesnake. XJ can't go to big 75in.width from outside of wheel to outside of wheel and 95 in. from center of axle to center of axle. So some time it is good to have different vehices. by the way are CJ owner aloud on a wrangler sit.

slvmart
07-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Sure looks like a CJ7 ! And looks like a typical CJ from the rust belt.

So Minnesota is the wild North ? Probably more like the wild Arctic after last winters Global warming.

Anyway, I have a CJ8 that is waiting for a body, the frame is sitting with the axles attached. Have to stop playing with the XJ, so I can get back to working on the CJ. Are you considering a fiberglass after market body ?

thesupercroc
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Sure looks like a CJ7 ! And looks like a typical CJ from the rust belt.

So Minnesota is the wild North ? Probably more like the wild Arctic after last winters Global warming.

Kind I live near the North Dakota Minnesota border so I claim both at times.

Last winter was nothing weird but no were as cold as normal

Anyway, I have a CJ8 that is waiting for a body, the frame is sitting with the axles attached. Have to stop playing with the XJ, so I can get back to working on the CJ. Are you considering a fiberglass after market body ?

that sound sweet! I love playing with my XJ. I will be parting out the red one
my Brothers we are on sure on just yet. The seller made it sound like they were in better condition then they really are. I would love to put a new tub on one or both ( I think we will keep the frame from at least.) but the money for it is way more then I could pay right now.

Rocco83
07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
I went with a fiberglass tub for my CJ. Saved me a lot of headaches.