PDA

View Full Version : First Problem-Gauge Cluster

atomasze
07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Okay guys, so day 1 gauge cluster not working. Bought from a buddy, its been like this for a long time. The lights come on, the odometer lights up but does not change, just stuck at 166xxx whatever. Since the gauges wont work there is no oil temp or oil pressure reading and the guys at the emissions place wont do a test without the oil temp gauge working. Without an emissions test I can't get the title officially transferred over. What a conundrum. I've got the gauge cluster off and the contacts all look fine, really good actually. No corrosion found. Next idea please!?!?!?

4.3LXJ
07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Probably an easy temp fix. This is a common problem. Smack the dash and it will probably work again. Sounds hoaky I know, but it generally works

atomasze
07-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Beat the crap out of her and no go. Its the connection behind the Speedo not the one behind the Tach. When the one behind the tach is plugged in I get lights and some power but if just the one behind the speedo is plugged I get nothing. Would the guess go to the problem being in the harness? or in the gauge cluster?

4.3LXJ
07-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Generally just a bad connection. Clean them up. Runs well ortherwise?

atomasze
07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
yeah runs fine except for this gauge thing. Tried just about everything and she wont work. Also having an issue putting the headlight switch back in..?

4.3LXJ
07-23-2014, 05:03 PM
That is all run by wire from the ECM, plug C3. After reading wiring diagrams, I am convinced there is a computer chip in the gauge cluster. You might need to replace it

atomasze
07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Ha.Ha.Ha.

So after having the whole thing apart and playing with the wiring for the gauges for a bit I decided to put her back together, brainstorm and try something else tomorrow. But it turns out I broke the headlight switch somehow. So went and got a new one from autozone, installed it, and bam should have been done for the day. Got all the plastic put back and now the headlights aren't turning on.

WOW Jeeps are SO FUN! I'm guessing its not anything huge and I'll figure it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help btw 4.3LXJ !

atomasze
07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
So any tips on headlights that worked yesterday and then after swapping the light switch (due to broken old one) they no longer turn on? all other lights are working fine...

thanks!

4.3LXJ
07-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Check the fuse?