PDA

View Full Version : Painting my JchEEP

rabies
07-23-2014, 12:57 PM
my xj is black. scratched up and banged up. rusted.
i have several cans(il buy more) of rustoleum camoflaugh (sand) paint.

once i wash the jeep real good should i just mask off and paint?
or should i wetsand or do any sanding?
its pretty good paint.
i ask this because after a few months if i need to pressure wash it will the piant come off?

i just dont want to have paint peeling or flaking off down the road.
i need to have the color flat(I.E. no clear coat) ..unless an ultra flat clear coat would work??

4.3LXJ
07-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Prep work is always the key to a good paint job. Yes, scratching up that surface will help it stick

rabies
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
oooohk :/ i guess im just lazy.
at least main big areas. my mission is to coat every single thing exterior with "sand/khaki" paint minus. windows.lights.tires

4.3LXJ
07-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Keep us posted. You also might check surplus stores for the real thing, which is guaranteed tough

abebehrmann
07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Yep, rough up all areas with ~200grit sandpaper then wipe off the dust with something like acetone or MEK to make sure the surface is nice and clean.

bluedragon436
07-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Yep, rough up all areas with ~200grit sandpaper then wipe off the dust with something like acetone or MEK to make sure the surface is nice and clean.

Ahhh MEK. do you even have to sand with that stuff?? Doesn't it pretty much remove everything including the skin off your hands when you are using it.. LOL

Nah, I would say you should be good with the 200grit sanding & MEK to make sure you have all dust and grease removed prior to painting it, no matter what paint you choose to go with.. but like was said, you should check some army/navy surplus stores to see if they might happen to have any true khaki/tan paint that sticks to just about everything and doesn't come off for hell..

rabies
07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
ya military paint they use is called CARC. actualy the facility is called CARC that paints things. very very durable paint. i couldnt scratch it off the hmmvws in iraq.
its pretty expensive to buy it in gallon form

Rocco83
07-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Make sure you get the old clear coat off when sanding it down. You should be able to get some good CARC paint from Sherwin Williams if you have one in your area. I know mine carries it.

TimmyTXJ
07-24-2014, 07:46 AM
You might check out this article... lots of good information here on a similar paint job.
http://www.ericsxj.com/paint/paint.htm