PDA

View Full Version : Melted header

2fastjeep
07-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Well i my exhaust leak came back. About 9 months ago i replaced my cracked stock header with an APN and wrapped it with header wrap to help with under hood temps. So yesterday i was under the hood and found this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/vapyruqu.jpg the collector welds seem to have melted away. Now I know that it is hot here in Arizona but seems to me that a new header shouldn't have failed this fast. Any insight as to what might have caused it to fail so soon and any recommendations on a better brand of pipes.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
07-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Ouch, well that's certainly no good.. I've seen the stock ones do that kind of stuff, the APN headers have been looking far better and stranger as far as this weld goes.. I wonder if you might not be able to get APN to replace it under warranty, especially cause it seems like it would be a manufacturer defect there..

2fastjeep
07-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Was purchased through amazon. Can't seem to find any information on any warranty

bluedragon436
07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Contact the seller you purchased it through on Amazon, and see what they have to say about it, they might run the warranty for you, or put you in contact with someone who would.. can't hurt to try and contact them and see what they say about it, all else fails leave a review for the product and state what issue you had and how long it lasted, that way other folks will have a forewarning about it being a possibility as well as when you do it might seem tot he seller as if you are putting it on them for the warranty or not being helpful with replacement, and then they might help with it in the end..

4.3LXJ
07-21-2014, 07:23 PM
I have found from experience that header wrap traps heat and also speeds corrosion. I know those things get hot, I have them on both sides. But I suggest hood venting to get rid of some of that heat instead

2fastjeep
07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I've already got hood vents http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/yhuju4em.jpg

bluedragon436
07-21-2014, 07:52 PM
In my best Crocodile Dundee voice... That's not hood vents... This is hood vents!!!

http://www.americanrockrods.com/images/Trail%20components/Hood%20louver%20kits/hood_louver_XJ_small.jpg (http://www.americanrockrods.com/hood_louver_kits.php)

Found these while looking for more parts for the 90 XJ, as well as a few items for the hopeful upcoming YJ build.. Thought they were pretty cool looking, and would work pretty nicely for evacuating the high amounts of heat that we find under the hood of the XJ!! SO thought I'd share them as far as the hood vents go.. Not too badly priced either, and each and every louver on these things is hand pressed on an old school hot rod press, not mass produced like some places..

4.3LXJ
07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Nice looking vents

bluedragon436
07-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Nice looking vents

Not trying to thread jack the OP's thread.. But yeah I really like these vents, as well as the ones he makes for the wranglers.. You can click on the picture to get to the site.. He says he has dropped down on the Wrangler ones cause they don't sell well enough to keep em in stock.. But the XJ's he says he sells quite a few of, and I've seen these on a few people's rigs as I was researching ways to cool my 98 down when I still had it, and they seem to get pretty good reviews!!

2fastjeep
07-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Very cool vents but I bet you can't beat the $0.80 i paid for mine at home Depot :)

slvmart
07-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Nice quote from APR on Amazon : This heavy duty manifold is engineered to solve the cracking problems inherent on the OE style Jeep manifolds.

But, just FYI, I looked a bit further and found this under Questions and Answers :

Don't think there is a Warranty. To ensure it last a long time replace the motor mounts at the same time.
Cheryl A. answered on October 30, 2013

No I don't think there's a warranty. But so far so good, no complaints here!
LRC3 answered on October 30, 2013

They replaced mine after a year at no cost. The have a warranty but you have to pay shipping for the new one to you and the old one back to them. They didn't charge me because they had to send 3 of them before I got a good replacement. They waived the shipping for the trouble. There is no warranty for labor, FYI.

Also, under product reviews :
I always get the bad ones I guess :-(
By LPfromNJ on March 31, 2013
Purchased this manifold over a year ago after trying different cheaper replacements. My motor mounts were causing stress to my other manifolds so I replaced them with solid mounts when installing this APN. The welds looked pretty shotty when I got it. I was skeptical but I needed to replace the cracked one I had. I had no time to wait for a replacement. The gasket that came with it barely lined up with the port holes and the mounting holes weren't even close on most of them. I wound up purchasing a Felpro which lined up nicely. Once the manifold was in, it ran great, nice and quiet. After about a year, the welds split in multiple places and the collector gasket supplied is now also leaking. And the motor mounts are still in like new shape, the motor doesn't move when the accelerator is applied. Looks like I'm going to need another one. If it didn't leak again, it would have been perfect. HA!

LPfromNJ answered on October 31, 2013