PDA

View Full Version : Little Door Problems

Kellson
07-17-2014, 02:28 AM
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help on a number of little problems in my doors. I have a 1989 base model 4 dr xj (manual locks, windows, etc.). Here are some of the issues I'm having.
1. Bad door poppers. Some of the doors do not pop open when the handle button is pressed in, so you really have to apply a lot of pressure to get the door unlatched.

2. Some doors are hard to close. If you open the doors all the way the "prop lever thing" seems to become stuck and you have to really push on the door to get it to start to swing closed.

3. Super stiff window regulator. One door's window is tremendously difficult to wind up/down. It feels like the gears in there are all gummed up.

4. The black metal trim around the exterior of the windows is cracking and exposing the ugly metal underneath.

I think I have a good understanding of these problems but I have no idea what parts to replace! Please help!

cantab27
07-17-2014, 02:41 AM
take the door skins off and lube everything up ..wd40 styles

slvmart
07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
IMO, I wouldn't remove the door skins unless they were rusted. Usually no need to do that.

As far as the retainers and the hinges, you can try loosening up things with WD40. It will probably work. But after the doors are working properly I would lube them with "white lube". Especially if you live in a colder winter climate.

The door latches probably need adjustment, maybe because of bent rods in the door. Based on needing a lot of force. Or it's also possible that the plastic retainers are damaged. Most of this isn't rocket science but it can take quite a bit of patience.

Window regulators, from what you wrote it sounds like you have manual ones, probably need to be replaced. I'm sure can still pick up new ones, but junk yard parts would probably be cheaper. Just make sure they work correctly.

I don't have the black trim, so not sure but that might be something that if you are really careful you might be able to remove and refinish. If not then you probably have limited options other than to source some new ones.

cantab27
07-17-2014, 08:20 PM
opps ment door cards

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/doorclips_zps5a919753.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/doorclips_zps5a919753.jpg.html)

my bad .....:o carry on :D

slvmart
07-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah ! That sure makes it easier !