PDA

View Full Version : 0331 cyl head crack?????

rv-errr
07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
OK I am removing the head on my XJ with 3000k plus well cared for miles on it. I have low compression cyl 1and2 no visible crack or evidence of leak engine is clean inside no sludge or milk. My question, is it advisable to use this head or replace it, my thought is if it was going to crack it would have already done it. Any pointers for getting invisible manifold bolts out????? thanks in advance. CURT

rabies
07-14-2014, 10:36 AM
invisible bolts? use a magic wand.
or you mean manifold studs? use 2 nuts,. put them both on. lock them and then back out the stud.
you really need to find out if your head is bad or your block is bad first.
low comp could be blown pistons rings.

before you tear down any motor do a comrpession test...and leak down test. leak down test is for the head.
as far as a crack. you would have coolant spilling out. have a shop check it . they usualy charge $20 or free just to visual it and give you a thumbs up or down

XJ Wheeler
07-15-2014, 01:00 AM
Personally, i would search for a replacement to get rid of the 0331 head if i already had it off. But as long as this one is in good shape and you treat it right (keep it from overheating) it should perform just as well. I just like the confidence of not worrying about that stuff. But if you do want to keep the head have a machine shop magnaflux it to check for cracks. Its a test that identifies cracks to small to see normally and is not expensive.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.