PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your lawn equipment?

Brasscatz
07-12-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm getting really tired of my electric weed whacker. This is my second one and it goes through tons of line and I have to constantly stop and fix it.

I would prefer to buy a 4-cycle gas trimmer so that I don't have to mix oil and gas, but they are pretty expensive at the Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot type stores. Amazon isn't much better at that. I've even checked Ace Hardware and the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool stores.

Aside from craigslist and pawn shops, where do you buy your lawn equipment? I figure there's got to be some other place that sells cheaper equipment that I'm not thinking of.

4.3LXJ
07-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I don't know about cheaper, but I use a Stihl gas powered weed eater. It is what the lawn guys use. But here is the thing, it has attachments available. I don't use line. At this time I have a brush blade on it. It is a three bladed disc, for lack of better descriptions. Cuts weeds, brush and even thumb size trees. It takes no prisoners. They do come in different sizes, smaller than the one I have

Brasscatz
07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
There is a Stihl dealer nearby and I haven't checked out their prices yet. Another thing I'm going to use with a gas trimmer is the Pivo-Trim that's been advertised on TV.

Brasscatz
07-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I did forget to add that I have a relatively small yard front and back and I started out with the battery-powered Worx GT.... don't ever buy that. The battery SUCKS! I will never buy another battery operated piece of lawn equipment.

4.3LXJ
07-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Bear in mind you will still mix gas. Weed eaters don't have oil in the crank case. That would make them very heavy

bluedragon436
07-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd never buy a battery powered piece of yard equipment, I only use a electric weed eater for the few trimming spots I need it for and the edging of the driveway and sidewalk, but as I plan on moving back to SC soon and plan on having a place that'll need a bit more then I feel like stretching extension cords out for... I would say Stihl will def be your best bet for quality and bad assery.... but you get what you pay for and you'll be paying for that... But as far as trying to save some money, probably the places you've already looked, or pick up a used one from someone... My dad has a few used ones he picked up from CL, and all they needed in the end was taken to a shop and have the carb's rebuild, and they run like champs, one of them was an industrial one sold through Sears that is still sold today for $500+, and my dad paid $200 for it and $60 to have the carb rebuild, and it runs like a champ... so I'd say depends on whether you want to spend the big money on something that might be bit much for what you got, spend a little bit less on buying new through Lowes or Home Depot or whatever... or check out CL... Another option that you could look into is factory seconds or factory rebuild units.. Most of the big names have those, you just might have to contact them to find out who they sell those through...

cantab27
07-12-2014, 11:54 PM
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/lost-sheep.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/lost-sheep.jpg.html)

:rolleye0012::rolleye0012:

righto carves ..hit me....:smiley-scared003::D

4.3LXJ
07-12-2014, 11:56 PM
The original Philadelphia lawn mower, circa 1776. True fact

Carves
07-13-2014, 04:03 AM
....... righto carves ..hit me....:smiley-scared003::D

:smiley-laughing021:

strewth mate ... at this time of the year,

... You could at least - invite your girlfriends into the house .. :p

Brasscatz ... go the stihl stuff ... tis good gear.

If the salesman is any good ... they will suggest a model size for yard/task,

... then buy the next model up - so you have some oomph, in reserve.

I've got a 4yo FS85 that gets worked hard ...

The modular one 4.3LXJ has is a neat unit ... too damn expensive down here tho.

Use reg unleaded fuel for mixing tho ... not the ethanol crap.

Brasscatz
07-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks fellers. The sheep would work I suppose, but I'm already married ;) I'm trying to keep it under $150 though, so I'll need to shop around a bit. Thanks again

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
We use an electric "eater". Not sure of the brand but I can look if you want, got it at sears a few years back. I have learned to try and stray from battery powered tools due to the battery price and life not being adequate. A gas one would be nice because we have over an acre so I can't even do one side of the yard. But for your yard its doesn't seem necessary, although easier.

Brasscatz
07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Well, the problem with my electric corded one that I have now is that anytime I hit any resistance with it (rock, fence, etc.) it feeds out too much line and destroys everything. This is the second one I've had too. I usually have to stop every 20 seconds or so to feed line back into it so I don't waste it.

I bit the bullet and purchased a Craftsman 4-cycle from Sears today since I absolutely love my Craftsman mower. It was on sale for $169 and had all amazing reviews. I used it today and it worked very well. But, I hate choke systems because even if you follow the directions exactly, they are very touchy and holding it at full throttle with no choke will kill it sometimes. I did the whole "prime x times" and full choke, then half choke, then no choke. Of course, I didn't have any problems with it until I re-started it warm after I got my edger attachment on it. *sigh* we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. Any issues and I'll be returning it to Sears and may have to bite the bullet and price one at the Stihl store....

Carves
07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Good luck with it.

They can be fussy little buggers sometimes - brand regardless.

A mate has a Honda 4stroke ... and I dont think it was was worth the shop price ,

... oh hell ... I dont even think the stihl I bought - was worth the shop price .. :D:D

Just looked at the US stihls catatalogue too ... My 85 is a big petrol jobby with handlebars and harness ... not a little battery pack one.

bruggz351
07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
I was shopping for a brush cutter last year. Settled on a Huskvarna (spl) . Love the thing. Two piece straight shaft. Every accessory from a pole pruner to a garden tiller. I've only got the line trimmer though.
So easy to start, granny could do it. :-p

KMW-NWXJ
07-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I have used Stihl and Husqvarna trimmers and brush cutters a lot and like them both.

For grass I just bought this from a coworker for $1500 with 4.2 hours on it! Divorce is an amazing thing! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/15/netyvuja.jpg

nickyg
07-14-2014, 03:52 PM
I get all the lawn equipment I want for free, When my next door neighbor leaves his garage door open.