PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Wayfinder!!!

cantab27
07-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi Wayfinder, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Wayfinder
07-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Spotted that you're in Christchurch. Beautiful city, fabulous country.

I'm sure that I'll find my way around, but first step is see what folks have been saying about various model years. Just getting started and I seem to have a pretty decent selection of "reasonable miles" vehicles in my area. Focused right now on a couple of '95s and a '99 that look promising. Leaning toward the '99 and looking to find pro/con opinions.

Thanks

XJ Wheeler
07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Welcome to xjtalk, Michael! You've come to the right place for info, we do our best to help out everyone.

Of course without knowing the condition I can only give suggestions off the years. First, I highly recommend getting the 4.0l I6 engine. You wont regret it. Your choice on transmissions, all options were good in those years. Transfer case (assuming you want 4wd) you have two options. The NP231, which is the base case. It is a part time t-case with numerous aftermarket upgrades to do just about everything you want. The optional t-case is the NP242. It is a full time transfer case you can use at higher speeds for rough conditions like snow and almost as much aftermarket support. The front diff is gonna be the high pinion Dana 30, and two options for the rear. The base is the Dana 35, with the optional Chrysler 8.25. They are both good diffs that can handle multiple situations but the 8.25 is bigger and beefier. If the one you get doesn't have the 8.25 its no biggie, they are plentiful, cheap, and easy to swap out. Abs will only be equipped with the 35. Gearing will vary for different drivetrain combinations from 3.07 to 4.10.

In my honest opinion I would go with the '99. Some differences will be very apparent, like the updated body and interior. Others are not as apparent. The '99 will be equipped with OBD2, a better flowing intake manifold, and a bit stronger chassis.

If you want opinions on the exact vehicles, feel free to post pics. And any more question, we're here. ;)

cantab27
07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
you been to my little part of the world ??

XJ Wheeler
07-10-2014, 01:08 AM
you been to my little part of the world ??

AND MADE IT BACK?!?!?!?!?! :shocker:

:poke:

:D

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the details! I found a thread elsewhere that also had a nice list of the pros of the '99, and a lot of good-natured comments about loving whatever year you own. Still most agreed that if they could grab a '99, they probably would.

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Yep, been to New Zealand (and back) three times in the last 10 years or so - mostly cycling and a little fly-fishing. Might have a chance to spend some time in Queenstown next March, but that trip is looking a little doubtful at the moment.

XJ Wheeler
07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the details! I found a thread elsewhere that also had a nice list of the pros of the '99, and a lot of good-natured comments about loving whatever year you own. Still most agreed that if they could grab a '99, they probably would.

Yep, i actually just had the chance at a good deal of a '99 but waited too long thinking and it sold.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Is it possible to determine some of these mechanical factors (diffs, t-case) from a detailed VIN report, or is a physical examination required? I've never seen what a detailed/certified (i.e. $$) VIN report contains.

cantab27
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep, been to New Zealand (and back) three times in the last 10 years or so - mostly cycling and a little fly-fishing. Might have a chance to spend some time in Queenstown next March, but that trip is looking a little doubtful at the moment.

well if ya do give me a yell ...queenstowns not that far can organize a 4wd skid ......know a couple of tracks over that way.....:D....great fishing round there too.....

XJ Wheeler
07-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Is it possible to determine some of these mechanical factors (diffs, t-case) from a detailed VIN report, or is a physical examination required? I've never seen what a detailed/certified (i.e. $$) VIN report contains.

I haven't either but it may have some info, just worded differently. Like instead of np242, it may say "full time four wheel drive" as an option. But i doubt it will list diffs.

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
From the Jeep site I was able to pull the details (below) on a '99 that I'm hoping to take a look at later today. Hope this post isn't too big, but I found it fascinating that I was able to pull this level of detail for free (http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html - equipment listing option). The equipment/configuration of this '99 looks pretty good at a glance.

Vehicle Description 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Monotone Paint
124 Amp Alternator
500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Reclining Front Seats
Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
Next Generation Front Air Bags**
Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Cargo Tie Down Loops
Plastic Liftgate Trim Panel
Passenger Assist Handles
Lift Gate Assist Handle
Full Length Floor Console
4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
Tinted Windshield Glass
Front Door Tinted Glass
Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
Rear Window Defroster
Rear View Day/Night Mirror
Deluxe Insulation Group

STANDARD EQUIPMENT
100 MPH Primary Speedometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Dual Note Electric Horns
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - CH
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - JE
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - 4
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - JEEP
BLACK - FENDER FLARES
Headlamps On Warning Chimes
Front Dome Lamp
Halogen Headlamps
CHMSL Lamp
Front Bumper Guards
Black Windshield Moldings
Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
Belt Moldings
Body Color Drip Trough Molding
Black Door Handles
Silver/Chrome Badging
EVAP Control System
20 Gallon Fuel Tank
Forest Green Pearl Coat
Power Steering
Front Stabilizer Bar
Rear Stabilizer Bar
Inside Mounted Spare Tire
Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
Protective Coating and Remover
Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
GVW Rating - 4900#
Mexico Contract Assembly
Zone 11-Chrysler Corporation-Consign
U.S. Specifications Label
Washington Ship to State Code
Michigan Sold to State Code
Prem Cloth Hi-Back Bucket Seats
Camel
Skid Plate Group
Trailer Tow Group
SE Decor Group
4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
High Back Bucket Seats
Highline Door Trim Panel
Spare Tire Cover
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
All Engines
4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Air Conditioning
Instrument Cluster w/Tach
Instrument Panel Black Bezel
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - 4.0L
Black Front Bumper
Black Front Bumper End Caps
Black Rear Bumper
Black Rear Bumper End Caps
Front License Plate Bracket
Black Headlamp Bezels
Black Grille
Black License Plate Brow
Federal Emissions
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
Speed Control
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Forest Green Pearl Coat
All Radio Equipped Vehicles
AM/FM Radio
2 Speakers
Fixed Long Mast Antenna
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Heavy Duty Suspension
Tilt Steering Column
Full Size Spare Tire
P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
Goodyear Brand Tires
15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels
Matching Spare Wheel
All Steel Wheels
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Warranty Registration Card-Govt Bid
Tag Instructions
Manuf Statement of Origin
8 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear
FAM: XJ TRACKING: 70605J01AD
FAM: XJ TRACKING: 81016J05
Customer Preferred Package 2TB
Customer Preferred Package 26B
Price Protection - Code J
Road Ready Service/Courtesy Delivery
Customer Preferred Discount
Prepaid Holdback
Sold Vehicle
Special Bid-Ineligible For Incentive
Domestic Government Bid Units
Fleet Option Editor
Fleet Sales Order

XJ Wheeler
07-10-2014, 02:48 PM
That's awesome, thanks for posting the link.

Going from that it has a good set of options. 4.0l, aw4 trans, np231 t-case, Dana 30 front axle, 35 rear, tow hitch, skid plates, transmission cooler.

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the invite! I hope the trip comes together.

Wayfinder
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Yep, i actually just had the chance at a good deal of a '99 but waited too long thinking and it sold.

Missed my chance too! I'll keep looking, and try to move faster on the next one. To bad, this one sure sounded like a good fit...~156k miles, asking $3500 and close by.

XJ Wheeler
07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Missed my chance too! I'll keep looking, and try to move faster on the next one. To bad, this one sure sounded like a good fit...~156k miles, asking $3500 and close by.

Ah man, sorry to here that. Probably wasn't the right one anyway then, and the wait can create opportunities for better deals and better quality.

oderdene
07-10-2014, 11:01 PM
btw, what is the meaning of "camel" in list?

XJ Wheeler
07-11-2014, 12:22 AM
btw, what is the meaning of "camel" in list?

I would guess its a color for the interior.

Wayfinder
07-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Yep, color. Interesting that the bumpers in the photo I saw were also camel color. This looked a two-tone special edition, Green and Camel...can't think of the name, but seen a few over the years.

Wayfinder
07-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Still searching...missed a couple when a bump in the finances required that I wait a bit. Back in the hunt now. Since I have the time I'm zeroed in on the '99. One question - how much emphasis should I place on finding Selec-Trac VS Command-Trac? I certainly find it appealing to have full time 4wd capability, but the vast majority of XJ's I'm seeing are part-time.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Both are very good units. The full time is better in snow and ice and a good winter option

Wayfinder
07-29-2014, 11:08 PM
That's what I thought and that's the situation - Eastern Washington snow and ice.

4.3LXJ
07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I used to live up there. My 231 did very well on it. But a 242 will be better. Where you at?

Wayfinder
07-30-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm in Newman Lake these days - having bounced around a bit between Post Falls on the Idaho side and Liberty Lake...all beautiful, but great to be living in the hills now with a nice view of Newman. Weather's a bit more dramatic with a little elevation.

4.3LXJ
07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Ah, Spokane area. I lived near Walla Walla in the southeast. I do like that area much better

Wayfinder
08-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Got a line on a '99 with ~140k miles and from the VIN it has these components:

Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

This looks like a good place to start. I was hoping for full time 4WD and this one has it.
How does this look to you, and what's the story on the 35C?

Thanks

XJ Wheeler
08-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Got a line on a '99 with ~140k miles and from the VIN it has these components:

Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

This looks like a good place to start. I was hoping for full time 4WD and this one has it.
How does this look to you, and what's the story on the 35C?

Thanks

Sounds fine to me! The 35c is the standard axle and will most likely have abs as they didn't put the 8.25 in abs equipped models. Its a decent axle with good aftermarket support. It has a bad rep but somewhat unjustified. If you don't plan on bigger than 31s you'll probably never have issues. The key seems to be keeping off the skinny pedal in the rough stuff.

Wayfinder
08-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks. I saw the response and made an offer. Looks like it's mine! In a couple of weeks the real fun starts. Don't quite know where to begin, other than a thorough examination for possible surprises. Funny you should mention tires - it needs them so that will probably be the first substantial purchase (and I assume wheels). Time to start searching the forums for input - I can stay at or below 31's so sounds like I should be fine.

XJ Wheeler
08-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks. I saw the response and made an offer. Looks like it's mine! In a couple of weeks the real fun starts. Don't quite know where to begin, other than a thorough examination for possible surprises. Funny you should mention tires - it needs them so that will probably be the first substantial purchase (and I assume wheels). Time to start searching the forums for input - I can stay at or below 31's so sounds like I should be fine.

Awesome, and congrats! Sounds like a winner.

Wayfinder
08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
I couldn't resist looking to see if there were any Dana 44's in the area and I found a guy that has the following: Set of front and rear matching Dana 44 axles with 3:73 gears. Front has high steering knuckles and disc brakes, rear is drum. Have steering linkage. Came out of 1979 Jeep Cherokee. Perfect shape. And has factory locker/limited slip carriers. $500 obo

This is entirely new territory for me, but it caught my eye and I'm wondering if I ought to make an offer and try to scoop these up. Thoughts?

4.3LXJ
08-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Just go get them quickly. It doesn't get any better

Wayfinder
08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I really appreciate the fast response! I jumped on them and they're now mine. Perhaps a bit of a gamble with a deposit "sight unseen", but the seller sounded like a reasonable adult and I'm inclined to have a little faith in humanity.

4.3LXJ
08-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Congrats. I have an eye on some myself for a future project

Wayfinder
08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm planning to grab the axles this weekend and that got me searching for information on heavy they are. Most of what I found suggested the rear is pretty easy to move but the front was another story. Care to "weigh" in on how heavy/difficult this might be to load?

4.3LXJ
08-14-2014, 11:19 PM
If you have been eating your Wheaties, yes you can load them yourself. Just move one end at a time. And yes, the front is heavier. But it has a tie rod on it so you have something nice to grab

Wayfinder
08-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Good to know those Wheaties will pay off after all.

Plan of action is starting to come together. Get the 44's in place, with a Superflex 3.5" lift (adjustable arms), bilstein shocks - probably driveshaft. I'm really tempted to do the ARB lockers as part of this process. They were part of a long term vision, but I can't help but think it makes sense to try to make this happen in sync with the 44's. Thoughts?

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I'd say if they already have a Posi and such I'd just run em like they are, as that'll already be a pretty darn nice setup... But if you have the money and really want the ARB's, might as well go for it!!

4.3LXJ
08-15-2014, 06:53 PM
ARBs are great. However if you don't have to run in snow and ice, an auto locker in both ends will be more seamless for you. Those you don't have to pay attention to. A ARB you will need to occasionally turn on and off the front for steering purposes when not moving and depending on how much tire you run, you may need a ram assist to go with that

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't think this has been discussed but these axles will need new suspension brackets.