PDA

View Full Version : Bumpers!

5LugsOfLove
07-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Ive been looking in the forums about aftermarket bumpers and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. I like the smittybuilts and jcr offroad bumpers but feel like I can find a similar bumper with a winch plate and stinger for under $500. Thanks for reading

07Negative
07-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Not to be a smart ass, but why not just buy the ones you're finding? I went with the bumper I did b/c I know more of the guy. But JCR products are probably one of the best on the market. Great designs and craftsmanship.
There are quite a few folks out there fabbing bumpers. Virgina Fab bumpers are stupid cheap. I've read great things on those. Just stay away from the name brands with ads all over the place. Warn, ARB (bumper), etc. You should be able to get a good product w/o the cost b/c indie companies aren't paying for expensive ads.

jschmidt250
07-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Mark from Detours built me one of his Maximum Approach winch bumpers. It's a non-advertised bumper based off his BackBone system. I'm not sure what they are going for now, but when I bought mine last year it was about $500 plus shipping.

I haven't taken any pics of mine yet, but this is what it looks like.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f67/245286d1402269710t-winch-bumper-sleekest-most-recessed-image-4258009298.jpg

bluedragon436
07-10-2014, 04:19 AM
JCR bumpers are def nice looking, and I have seen many folks on here, as well as elsewhere that run the Virginia Fab bumpers.. They have some great designs and pricing is def far better then with the other big name companies, for a far better looking and performing bumper.. Detours has some awesome designs & products, and will work custom stuff for you for a pretty decent deal at that..

5LugsOfLove
07-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Not to be a smart ass, but why not just buy the ones you're finding? I went with the bumper I did b/c I know more of the guy. But JCR products are probably one of the best on the market. Great designs and craftsmanship.
There are quite a few folks out there fabbing bumpers. Virgina Fab bumpers are stupid cheap. I've read great things on those. Just stay away from the name brands with ads all over the place. Warn, ARB (bumper), etc. You should be able to get a good product w/o the cost b/c indie companies aren't paying for expensive ads.

I appreciate the feedback. I just want something thats going to hold up. I go through alot of trails with brush and small trees growing in the way. Need something that can crush shopping carts.Virginia fab makes a good looking bumper.

Philxj4L
07-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Just to throw a random idea your way.
I have a 'standard' front bumper with a winch tray spliced into the middle. The remaining outer sides and mounts have been braced and strengthened for recovery purposes. It ends up a really neat job, and you can refit end caps, or not.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/D2A38629-D639-4117-9C2A-45AFBA4FEF6F_zpsipaabmlx.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/D2A38629-D639-4117-9C2A-45AFBA4FEF6F_zpsipaabmlx.jpg.html)

That's a 13,000lns winch in the tray, and only required some minor trimming of the plastics behind the grill.
It's a cheap solution too. :)

Rocco83
07-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Virginia Fab all the way. Couldn't be happier with mine and you would be supporting a 1 man operation with your order.

07Negative
07-10-2014, 02:06 PM
That Detours bumper is sick! What it comes down to is looking at the key points that make a winch bumper strong and up to recovery tasks. Make sure they don't just bolt up to the same OEM spots.
Lots of these bumpers send more metal along the uni body for structure. 3/16 steel outa be plenty strong.
Of course there is looks & design. But I'm sure you'll find a pretty darn good quality bumper out there to fit your budget. I would expect to pay $500 (plus or minus a few bucks) for a good front bumper. Steel isn't cheap. Nor is the gas for a MIG welder or the spool. There are some costs involved. Not to mention the fab time & skill, plus the designing of the dumper its self.
Whatever you end up with. Post it up.

5LugsOfLove
07-10-2014, 08:28 PM
That Detours bumper is sick! What it comes down to is looking at the key points that make a winch bumper strong and up to recovery tasks. Make sure they don't just bolt up to the same OEM spots.
Lots of these bumpers send more metal along the uni body for structure. 3/16 steel outa be plenty strong.
Of course there is looks & design. But I'm sure you'll find a pretty darn good quality bumper out there to fit your budget. I would expect to pay $500 (plus or minus a few bucks) for a good front bumper. Steel isn't cheap. Nor is the gas for a MIG welder or the spool. There are some costs involved. Not to mention the fab time & skill, plus the designing of the dumper its self.
Whatever you end up with. Post it up.

Ill let you know. I like the Virginia fab Bumper alot but I want a Stinger, Might buy it and weld one on myself.

ArmyGuy45
07-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Virginia Fab all the way. Couldn't be happier with mine and you would be supporting a 1 man operation with your order.

I am also very happy with my order from them.

rabies
07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
same for me. i might buy one from the virginia guy or buy these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171242724367?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_576wt_1355

TallGuyJeep
07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Or Fab makes a pretty good looking bumper for $515 shipped. Mine just arrived yesterday, so I can't speak for it's ruggedness and durability, but it seems to be very strong.
http://www.offroadoutpost.com/jeep-cherokee-xj-front-hd-bumper-with-hoop-83240/

rabies
07-15-2014, 01:14 PM
maybe its my pc but that website doesnt work well. none of the hyperlinks work

4.3LXJ
07-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Works for me. We have been having difficulties lately with the links due to making the site secure. Tony is working through the problems one by one.

TallGuyJeep
07-15-2014, 03:44 PM
If that site doesn't work there are a few other vendors selling their bumpers if I remember correctly. Just do a quick search for OR Fab xj front bumper, or something similar. Worth looking into in my opinion, but I'm probably biased. ;)