PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Bennithejet!!!

Brasscatz
07-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi Bennithejet, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Bennithejet
07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Hi, sold my Cherokee five years ago and that was a mistake. In the process of buying a really nice 2001 TD Orvis. Pushes all my buttons for looks etc, in very good condition for the year and seems really "tight" no rattles knocks or rumbles etc and bone dry underneath. Engine, gearbox clutch all silky smooth and it pulled no problem...but the speedo and temp gauge were not working and after only 20-25 mins and less than 10 miles on a quiet country road on a test drive the engine seemed exceptionally hot when we got back to the dealer.The electric fan didn't kick in [it's in the auto electricians right now]. There was a very faint hint of what looked like white smoke too.Heads were changed about four years ago. Absolutely love the Jeep, even with the warnings bells sounding. I'm going for another good look round it and a long test drive when it comes back from the electricians. Any pointers.....I'm no mechanic !

4.3LXJ
07-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes, while at the mechanic if you can have him check for a cracked head. Sounds like you might have one. The O1 head is a little fragile around heat. It can be replaced with an updated one, or if you don't have to smog you can put an HO head on and get a few extra ponies under the hood

Bennithejet
07-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, that's what I'm worried about.They are including a three month engine/gearbox warranty with it although I need to find out just exactly what it covers.Could be be one way round it Excuse my ignorance !,but what heads, name/type etc would I be looking for?. Not too bothered about any extra performance,I just love the classic look of the Cherokee and to be perfectly honest its for my old man as much as for me. He's 94 now and its easier for him to get in and out being so much higher. We both like American trucks, him since the war after driving Shermans. Dodges, and the original Willys [ taking his CO horse hunting !}. Much obliged for your advice, very much appreciated/ Bob

bluedragon436
07-15-2014, 04:18 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!!

As Steve said, either before you take it out again, or after you take it out again, mention to them that you noticed the faint hint of white smoke when you were driving it, and that you would like the compression checked to make sure it doesn't have a blown head gasket or cracked head... The fact of you are coming to them sounding like you fully know what's up, should keep them from trying to BS you, and hopefully they will take a look at it, if they don't seem too concerned with it, then I would def ask what the warranty covers to make sure it would cover that if it does in fact turn out to be an issue after purchase....

Bennithejet
07-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Going to call them tomorrow to see whats happening.Will post an update later. Much obliged. Bob

cantab27
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
I would be looking else where .......to many what ifs .....parts will be expensive same as down here ....should be others over there for sale ...couple of other members here from your ways ...oh welcome to xjtalk

XJ Wheeler
07-15-2014, 05:11 PM
I think we need to back up a bit. You said this is a TD (turbo diesel) model right? That will change the advice. I don't know much about diesels mechanically but when we had a diesel truck it had a problem with the egr cooler that caused it to smoke white. Being that we (in the states) didn't get the diesel XJ i am not sure they even came with an egr cooler so my info may just be useless to you. Hopefully we can help you out. I would definitely get it looked into though because it may be damaging the engine.

Welcome to XJ. When ya can we would love some pics of that orvis.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Bennithejet
07-16-2014, 04:21 AM
The dealer sold it to the previous owner back in 09 and took it back in off something else a couple of months back, he had the heads done shortly after he got it, 09-10 . Having done that you would think he would make sure it didn't happen again.It's done 112000 and very few miles in his ownership the last five years, according to all the MOT test certificates.He used it a few times a week towing a small trailer locally for a landscaping business. Interior is absolutely immaculate [Tan leather] and certainly never had a hard life.Body work is in very good condition all round apart from headlight...few light scratches etc for a 13 year old vehicle. Would be a crime to let it possibly end up as a breaker if no one wanted to take it on [at right price] if anything really drastic was needed, engine replace /recon etc.Will see what turns up...fingers crossed !!. Got some pictures, but not sure about posting them as its not mine..... Will take some more with number plate covered when I go back. Thanks to all !.Much appreciated

cantab27
07-16-2014, 04:26 AM
just bang the pics up mate ......;)

Carves
07-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Orvis is supposed to be a limited edition model.

Motor is a 2.5 VM Motori.

UK/Euro has plenty of service / parts outlets for them.

Overheating can be an issue, ... and whilst we petrol owners may talk of having a problem with the head,

... the little diesel has 4 heads.

Lots of internet sources for repairs and maintenance.

If you buy it ... get the top end, double checked for servicability.

Bennithejet
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Few pics... Maybe not everyone's "cup of tea", but I love it. It won't be going over rocks, serious trails or up river beds etc [ Use the skiff for that !] The interior is no where near as light coloured as in the pics, more of a biscuit/tan colour. Really is in good condition. Must stress it ain't mine ...yet ! Paid a "subject to" deposit.

Carves
07-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Looks tidy .. :thumbsup:

Doesnt appear to have been used as a trailblazer either .. :thumbsup:

Did they sort out the dash gauge issues for you ??

Would appreciate a pic of the underside of the bonnet, if/when, you get a chance.

cantab27
07-16-2014, 10:42 PM
and its a real one ....RHD.....

XJ Wheeler
07-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Very nice! Would love one that clean and pretty (yes I said it!). We never had the turbo diesel or orvis edition XJs so I am definitely jealous!

Bennithejet
07-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Apparently they had sorted the dash out,I asked them to check the electric fan...and it had to go back to the A E, so it probably wasn't working, question is was it related to the recent electrical gremlins, or has it been off for a while ?, def not good !. Is there any way to check if any block/coolant system sealer has been used ? I know you can check for exhaust contamination in the cooling system, but I suppose that test could possibly be foiled with a flush then sealant added to cover the "cracks" so to speak. Will have a compression test done too anyway, but can that test not be foiled as well by the same stuff ?.

Bennithejet
07-17-2014, 04:03 AM
Yes Jake, guess she is a looker......don't want to sound too cynical, but you know what they say about beauty !! But is she worth the effort aggravation and torment...Cherokee illness ?!

XJ Wheeler
07-17-2014, 04:20 AM
Yes Jake, guess she is a looker......don't want to sound too cynical, but you know what they say about beauty !! But is she worth the effort aggravation and torment...Cherokee illness ?!

Lol, its not a jeep unless you wonder that very thing at least once a week! ;)