PDA

View Full Version : Viair On Board Air Install

Mudderoy
07-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Well I'm not to sure about this. What do you guys think?

Keep in mind the transfer case skid will be about a inch lower than the transfer case.

Brasscatz
07-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Yeah, hangs down pretty low. Could be pretty easy to damage it in off-road conditions. Maybe fashion a mini-skid for it?

4.3LXJ
07-05-2014, 10:01 PM
I have that same tank and never could find a good place underneath

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Yep, I fear you guys are right. Well I think I have found a place for the compressor at least. Thoughts?

4.3LXJ
07-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Looks like a good spot to me. I like the bracket

XJ Wheeler
07-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Other than having to remove it for some work, like changing the plugs, seems fine to me. These things can handle a little heat right. I've found that to be the hottest side, at least on mine.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

OrangeXJ
07-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Must be onboard air weekend. I installed an ARB high volume pump to work my air operated sway bar disconects and to fill a air tank when I get one.

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Sadly it looks like my only option for this tank is going to be putting in the cargo area.

I gotta figure out a way to mount it with the cargo rack back there. It's progress though, at least the plan is coming together.

bluedragon436
07-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Sadly it looks like my only option for this tank is going to be putting in the cargo area.

I gotta figure out a way to mount it with the cargo rack back there. It's progress though, at least the plan is coming together.

What about hanging it from the bottom of the rack at one end or the other?? Will it fit between the legs for the rack??

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 08:22 AM
What about hanging it from the bottom of the rack at one end or the other?? Will it fit between the legs for the rack??

The rack was installed to regain the cargo area, putting an air tank isn't conducive to maintaining cargo area. This isn't a dedicated off road rig, it's my daily driver.

07Negative
07-06-2014, 08:24 AM
This is a good approach

http://ericsxj.com/oba.htm

bluedragon436
07-06-2014, 08:36 AM
The rack was installed to regain the cargo area, putting an air tank isn't conducive to maintaining cargo area. This isn't a dedicated off road rig, it's my daily driver.

No I get that.. I was just figuring the tank isn't all that large, so if you put it hanging down from the rack in between the legs for the rack, or on top of it kind of over towards the window then it really doesn't take up all that much room that you use anyways!

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 08:52 AM
No I get that.. I was just figuring the tank isn't all that large, so if you put it hanging down from the rack in between the legs for the rack, or on top of it kind of over towards the window then it really doesn't take up all that much room that you use anyways!

Words are hard to understand sometimes. In my mind between the legs meant down low. Looking at this picture...

I'm getting a better idea how it could work. Hanging the tank from the bottom (top) of the rack may work. That would mean if I needed the cargo area I could remove the rack and tank as a single unit as well. Hmmmmmm

4.3LXJ
07-06-2014, 09:38 AM
There is one other option to consider. Schedule 80 PVC pipe. It is rated at about 190# and is thick enough at fittings it can be drilled and tapped for fittings. I made one I never used. But you could use any size and run it around the rack anyway you want and just cap and paint it. Just a thought

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Well I've been wanting to do this for a while so after doing some research in mounting Viair tank in Jeep Cherokee cargo area I saw this...

Need to make sure nothing comes forward, ya know?

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 12:37 PM
There is one other option to consider. Schedule 80 PVC pipe. It is rated at about 190# and is thick enough at fittings it can be drilled and tapped for fittings. I made one I never used. But you could use any size and run it around the rack anyway you want and just cap and paint it. Just a thought

I might do that! For now I think I'm going to do this though.

It's nylon zip ties for now... I'll have to find a good way to mount with metal clamps, but that should be easy enough.

I'll have to drill a on the driver's side to run the hose(s). Still have to lay everything out but knowing where the compressor and tank will be mounted is a big step in the process.

Also this way I don't lose my cargo space. I can quick disconnect the tank and remove it with the rack. :D

4.3LXJ
07-06-2014, 12:40 PM
OK, I have one other suggestion whether you use the tank or PVC. Connect them to your air hose with a quick connect air fitting. That way you can remove your rack and not completely disable your OBA.

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 12:42 PM
OK, I have one other suggestion whether you use the tank or PVC. Connect them to your air hose with a quick connect air fitting. That way you can remove your rack and not completely disable your OBA.

Yeah I was thinking that too! PVC would be mounted under and tank inside. At least I could still work the lockers that way. Never know I might need to 4x4 locked on the way back from Home Depot! :D :bacondance:

4.3LXJ
07-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Never know about those Texas storms. :D

But I think you would need to keep it versatile. I was just daydreaming about hybrid cages and using that for an air tank and getting mine out of the cargo area.

bluedragon436
07-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Words are hard to understand sometimes. In my mind between the legs meant down low. Looking at this picture...

I'm getting a better idea how it could work. Hanging the tank from the bottom (top) of the rack may work. That would mean if I needed the cargo area I could remove the rack and tank as a single unit as well. Hmmmmmm

I might do that! For now I think I'm going to do this though.

It's nylon zip ties for now... I'll have to find a good way to mount with metal clamps, but that should be easy enough.

I'll have to drill a on the driver's side to run the hose(s). Still have to lay everything out but knowing where the compressor and tank will be mounted is a big step in the process.

Also this way I don't lose my cargo space. I can quick disconnect the tank and remove it with the rack. :D

I was meaning doing it either like you have done here, or with the tank hanging like that but, but from the front to the back instead of side to side, figure that way you'd still have most of the use of space under the rack..

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Never know about those Texas storms. :D

But I think you would need to keep it versatile. I was just daydreaming about hybrid cages and using that for an air tank and getting mine out of the cargo area.

I think that if I hadn't already purchased this tank I would do exactly what you're talking about. I think it would be pretty easy, baring the heat from the exhaust to make two of the sched 80 tanks and put them along the outside unibody and the sliders. I think 3" diameter would fit fine.

Mudderoy
07-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I was meaning doing it either like you have done here, or with the tank hanging like that but, but from the front to the back instead of side to side, figure that way you'd still have most of the use of space under the rack..

I tried it that way first, and it does fit. The lines feed on the front and back of the tank so this means they would have to wrap to the side. This way they will connect to one end and straight to the side. I think it will be a cleaner install this way.

schultze
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I either have a million dollar idea or it is dumb I will let you guys be the judge. I was thinking about doing a OBA on my uip coming build and I was thinking of having a tire carrier bumber and on the extra space on the swing bar mounting a air tank like you have and disconnecting it, or maybe one of the fab guys around here could make me a air tank like on the pancake air compressors that would fit like a brake drum between the tirecarrier and the spare?? any thoughts???

Brasscatz
07-07-2014, 08:33 PM
sounds like it could definitely work

4.3LXJ
07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Sky is the limit on creativity here

rabies
07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
could always bolt to the ceiling. or in a bumper... or sealed bumper is the tank itself... :D

oderdene
07-07-2014, 09:30 PM
could always bolt to the ceiling. or in a bumper... or sealed bumper is the tank itself... :D

i guess this is good idea

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Bumpers/Rear_Bumper.htm

KMW-NWXJ
07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
I've always had reservations about bumpers as pressure vessels. The bumper's job is to take impacts, whether on the trail or in on-road collisions. If you've ever seen any kind of pressure vessel rupture, you might rethink that idea. I've been near some small ruptures, and there is no way I would have that on my vehicle. I firmly believe any air tank should be well mounted in a well protected location. You might do a Google image search for compressor tank rupture and make up your own mind.

I'm not trying to play down anyone's ideas. I'm just throwing out my two cents based on personal experience.

rabies
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
a guy here localy had a minitruck. rather cool. he redid the frame. boxed in the frame and turned the whole frame into a tank.
il think i might try to make a bumper tank. then make a front bumper the water tank

bluedragon436
07-08-2014, 02:35 PM
a guy here localy had a minitruck. rather cool. he redid the frame. boxed in the frame and turned the whole frame into a tank.
il think i might try to make a bumper tank. then make a front bumper the water tank

I know a few folks that have their rear bumpers built as a pressure vessel, one of which got rear ended at an angle hitting his bumper, and it didn't blow out, not so sure what would happen after multiple hard hits... I think having the rear bumper as an air tank, and the front as a water tank would be a good use of what you are already going to have there anyways.. Just make sure you figure someway to line or coat the front bumper, so you won't end up with rust in your water, or even worse having it rust apart anyways on you from the inside out..

DanXJ97
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
I want to know where you can get one of those racks and how much do they cost???
Thanks, Dan

Mudderoy
07-08-2014, 08:12 PM
I want to know where you can get one of those racks and how much do they cost???
Thanks, Dan

That is a Olympic Cargo Rack. Safari I think. They are over $200, which I'd never spend for it. I got this one from craigslist for $75. $75 is about what it is worth. ;o)