PDA

View Full Version : 96 xj window problem

tarheels
07-05-2014, 11:21 AM
does anyone know how to fix the power windows where they will roll up and down without the switch being in the on position,if anyone does know how to fix this could you please post a photo of what i need to look for and where it is located,thanks

4.3LXJ
07-05-2014, 03:58 PM
The fix for that is to take the two wires for that lock out switch and splice them together

tarheels
07-06-2014, 01:03 PM
thanks so much

bluedragon436
07-06-2014, 01:10 PM
does anyone know how to fix the power windows where they will roll up and down without the switch being in the on position,if anyone does know how to fix this could you please post a photo of what i need to look for and where it is located,thanks

Now when you say for them to operate without the switch being on, are you referring to the ignition switch or the window bypass type switch..

tarheels
07-06-2014, 04:54 PM
the ignition switch,i would like to be able to roll them up and down with the ignition switch in assy instead of having to turn the switch and without having the door closed,if you can help i would be greatful

4.3LXJ
07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
You will have to wire in a really for that. Do you know how to wire them in?

slvmart
07-07-2014, 04:58 AM
You will need to hook into a positive wire that is on all the time, the as noted above by 4.3lxj you would use a relay to switch that power source on an off via the accessory position on your ignition switch. So you need to have access to a 12v+ source that is on all the time and then to the wire that is live when you switch to the accessory position, on your ignition switch. Plus you need to identify the main source of power to your window switch and know what size of fuse you should have inline with the constant on power wire.

This is a relay that I have used in the past : Amazon.com: NOS 15618 30-amp Relay Switch Assembly: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41182CYWCDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41182CYWCDL

This is a diagram of how a relay is typically wired. Note that it is for a fan and not your application. A relay is basically a electrical switch where a low current switches a higher current.

If you don't know what you are in for, then I would advise having someone that has some basic wiring skills either help and teach you, or do it for you. It worth some money not to burn your vehicle down or worse.

tarheels
07-07-2014, 06:00 AM
thanks a lot guys,i do know how to wire up a relay

4.3LXJ
07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
That is about the only way to do what you want. The wiring you need to alter goes into the fuse block under the dash and would be more than a major project. Without the relay, I would never try it myself.