PDA

View Full Version : Welcome schultze!!!

4.3LXJ
07-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi schultze, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

schultze
07-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I found the XJtalk forum after going a google search for XJ's. I have been a FORD nut since I started driving and always have had 3/4 or 1-ton 4X4 trucks. I was never a big Jeep or XJ fan because I didn't trust the unibody build of the XJ's and just didn't Wranglers the only CJ I ever liked was the scrambler. Well for the last 8 or 9 months I have been wanting to get a new SUV that I could rebuild and could use as a DD and to use to travel to firearm training and survival classes. Well back in feb. my wife bought a '98 XJ sport that was wrecked for $500 it had a bent pass front fender, crack grill shell and some rust that need to be taken care of. She has been driving it for 5 months and has got her money out of it already and it is still running strong. Well I drove it a few time and I was surprised on how it handled and how it ran and I really liked it so I started doing some research and I saw what some of you guys are doing with these things and I was no longer worried about the unibody so I started the search for a XJ of my own. I found one within a week that a twin to my wifes but a year newer I found a black '99 XJ sport. I ended up paying $900 for mine. it needs some work it has bad factory paint on the roof and has little spots of rust starting all over the roof other than that there are three little patches of rust on the lower of two doors but NO holes and no rust under underneath at all the rest of the XJ look great it had a overheating problem and the rear hatch would not open and the drivers seat was broke. Well since buying it I knew most of thes problems were nothing to worry about and in the two weeks since I got it I flushed the rad 6 times and changed the thermosat. cooling problem solved!!! I took the seat out rewelded the frame Problem solved!!! I read the article on rear hatch adj on this forum again Problem solved!!! All I need to do before fall is repaint the roof and we are ready to rock. I am going to start a build thread I will post my pics in it along with all my plans and question I have for you guys. Thaks again for the welcome,

4.3LXJ
07-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Glad to have you aboard Zack. I used to be a frame guy too, CJs and 4X4 trucks like you. Bought the XJ as a driver and wasn't going to mod it. Well as you can see by my signature, I changed my mind :D

bluedragon436
07-05-2014, 04:22 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: Zach, from Delaware!! Yeah I have seen some stuff that surprises me done with the XJ's over the years... Glad to have you here as part of the :xjtalk: family!! Look forward to seeing the rebuild/build of the XJ's (only say that cause once you start yours, I'm sure the wife's might follow suite)!!!

XJ Wheeler
07-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the site! Glad ya came over to our side! These are great vehicles, yes a frame would have been nice but the unibody has more strength throughout the body because the entire vehicle acts as the frame. If you do get more involved in modifying and wheeling your jeep, getting on the extreme side, frame stiffeners do become necessary.

What are your plans for your jeep? Feel free to post any questions you may have. And when you can pics would be great! ;)

schultze
07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Here are pic of my '99 XJ Sport I bought for $900 it needs some love but it is a good starting point. There is some rust on the roof and a few other spots but nothing to bad. 148,255 miles when I bought it. I plan on using this as a DD and for going on long trips for training, but also having fun with it I am going to lift it at least 4.5" with all new bumpers I will go into details of what I want in my build thread.

4.3LXJ
07-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Looking forward to seeing it evolve

schultze
07-07-2014, 04:20 PM
And here are the pics of my wifes '98 XJ sport that she bought for $500 back in Feb. '14. it was wrecked in the pass front but not to bad and the rear bumper is rusted out. There is some rocker rust and one small hole and the wreck damage to fix. The wife wants a 3" lift with no bigger that 31"s on it and this is going to be here DD also.

4.3LXJ
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
3" and 31s are a good combo

XJ Wheeler
07-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Two awesome deals! And sounds like some fun building coming up!