PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid cage

Dredwolf
06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I know, last thing I need is another project, but a better cargo rack and some type of passenger protection was on the to-do list.

Exo cages work, but can get ugly.

I'm not a little guy, so an interior cage would cause issues. Somehow I missed the whole hybrid cage thing. I like the clean looks, and the tophat style cargo rack. Has anyone here done one?

4.3LXJ
06-27-2014, 12:22 PM
I have seen pics, but not tried it

gary63
06-27-2014, 07:43 PM
if I can I will and get so pix of one the 4 of us came up with it is on one right now and I'm
going to do the same on my xj. it is both we built a brush guard then run the bars though the engine bay out of site then tide it into a bar that ran up next to the fire wall. it went up by the windshield posts and tided into a halo on top that went all the way to the back.
that was on the outside on the inside we put a loop behind the driver/pass. front seats and behind the back seat and one at the back. Then tided then all together running bars along the roof corners. then went straight up from the loop to the roof this a small ext. and a flat plate then put a flat plate on the outside and bolted down then attach the flat plate to the halo ring . Now you can put sliders on and run bars from roof halo down to the siders for side support and if you want which is what I'm going to do is use the bolt on rollbar adapters so I can take them off or put them on. The top halo can be used as a roof rack. The one that has is built is driving around Hoodsport over on the west side of our state. if I can get him to send some pix I will try to post then up.

07Negative
06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is EricsXj.com. His new book goes over this stuff as well.
I'll be going this route as well. I just have to finish one thing at a time. Hell, I still need the tools to do it. Bender, dies, notch cutter, and of course tube.

Dredwolf
06-27-2014, 10:22 PM
I saw that Eric made major revisions to Project Rubicon, just realized he did a hybrid style. I like the idea of concealing some of the tube, and the "top hat" style rack that protects the rain gutters.

Dredwolf
06-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Found Eric's, wish I lived next to the Detours shop....
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004420

Dredwolf
06-27-2014, 10:52 PM
The guys have some examples of some some "clean" cage designs.
http://home.comcast.net/~thoseguys/offroad/roll_cages/xj_hybrid_cage_3.html

I really like idea of going to the rail or slider through the cowl/fenders....and this gives me an excuse to buy tools.

07Negative
06-28-2014, 02:38 AM
I rather prefer Eric's approach. He replaces the OEM fenders with fab'ed fenders. Way easier for rock rash repairs. I'm thinking for protecting the rear section past the rear passenger door. To tie in brush guards that steam from the internal cage of it. To go through that rear quarter panel and protrude whatever length I decide on, beyond the tires. Kinda like the JCR skins with the brush guard. But tied into the actual cage. They (JCR) call it a rub rail. But again. What they call a rub rail. Tie it into the cage. Whole saw bits thru the quarter panel.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJQU.html
I've been brewing on this for a hot minute. I wanna take what I like from others, put a functional twist on it. Make it mine.

07Negative
06-28-2014, 02:43 AM
Not to mention Dean Murray's setup by the way. I hate all the OEM plastic. It rattles more than the rest of the jeep. I'd love to copy his dash & center console. It's down right awesome! I just need to figure out a different layout for rear passenger & cargo area. I often sleep in my jeep, dog, & kid. Hopefully no more kids. Or maybe build a offroad trailer. I'm game for that.

Dredwolf
06-28-2014, 07:04 PM
I rather prefer Eric's approach. He replaces the OEM fenders with fab'ed fenders. Way easier for rock rash repairs. I'm thinking for protecting the rear section past the rear passenger door. To tie in brush guards that steam from the internal cage of it. To go through that rear quarter panel and protrude whatever length I decide on, beyond the tires. Kinda like the JCR skins with the brush guard. But tied into the actual cage. They (JCR) call it a rub rail. But again. What they call a rub rail. Tie it into the cage. Whole saw bits thru the quarter panel.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJQU.html
I've been brewing on this for a hot minute. I wanna take what I like from others, put a functional twist on it. Make it mine.
Good points, but in my case, since a tow vehicle is years away, I have to keep road-worthy, and the fabrication within what I may have a chance to complete before I leave this earth.:D

4.3LXJ
06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Darn you guys. I thought I had it all down and the end was defined. But I do like these cages at Those Guys Rod and Customs. Since I have a 2 door, it presents access problems to the back if you do the typical interior cage. But they have one on there. But still not sure about it.

Dredwolf
06-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Darn you guys. I thought I had it all down and the end was defined. But I do like these cages at Those Guys Rod and Customs. Since I have a 2 door, it presents access problems to the back if you do the typical interior cage. But they have one on there. But still not sure about it.

:rolleye0012:

07Negative
07-01-2014, 01:20 AM
Good points, but in my case, since a tow vehicle is years away, I have to keep road-worthy, and the fabrication within what I may have a chance to complete before I leave this earth.:D

I'm daily driving my junk. I'm too damn poor to afford a tow rig & trailer. Not to mention gas, insurance, & maintenance.

Dredwolf
07-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm daily driving my junk. I'm too damn poor to afford a tow rig & trailer. Not to mention gas, insurance, & maintenance.
Right there with you!

4.3LXJ
07-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I have the pickup and trailer, but I try to save those for rescue missions and hauling in junk to work on for the kid :D

Dredwolf
07-01-2014, 05:33 PM
I have the pickup and trailer, but I try to save those for rescue missions and hauling in junk to work on for the kid :D
I am still trying to keep mine interstate capable, got to do something about steering at some point.

But maybe I can patch it up enough to visit the new park.

And then fix/buy tow rig and trailer!

07Negative
07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Whats going on with your steering? Is your geometry all jacked up like mine? :)

Dredwolf
07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
I got Andys track bar to install and added a ZJ tie rod...but the toe is causing trouble to do by myself.. I decided to replace the ball joints since I could not seem to get the toe right, and this rig got muddy a lot frim previous owner

Dredwolf
07-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Steve posted some awesome info on steering at some point, and I have been trying to aim to do this thing stages, so I at least get to drive it, given the past history with my life and family. However, my "build a little, drive a little" plans got completely shot apart.

So I have these parts, would love to do the WJ knuckles and brakes, BUT.....I would like to drive this thing at least once this year, before the delay costs me ANOTHER Optima battery.

If I can get the ball joints done, and the toe set to rough spec, I may just re-install the axle shafts to just wheel it some, then take it down and work on the front axle after I have cleared space in the garage to at least bring the axle in on a dolly.

Who knows? I have dream that SEEM feasible, provided nothing else goes wrong...but then it does. :bang:

4.3LXJ
07-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Hey John, I have done the work on it wheel it and back in the shop stuff for years

Dredwolf
07-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Hey John, I have done the work on it wheel it and back in the shop stuff for years

My problem is finishing the work enough to even WHEEL.

You would not believe how much trouble it has been getting anyone (other than a cat, and the lack of opposible thumbs makes the cat look at me with :confused:) to help set the toe. In one afternoon, we could not get 3 consistent measurements in a row...and somehow I ended up with the passenger front wheel pointed way out.

Maybe I can build a jig or something, or ask my wife to help....or maybe 2nd set of tires with a clear centerline.

:bang: blasted XJ just spends so much time sitting on jackstands, I need an honest, solid, leave-me-the-H-alone wrenching weekend.

bluedragon436
07-22-2014, 07:53 PM
I think building any vehicle, especially once for off road use, is always a never ending battle and ongoing process.. Can't wait till I can get down where there is good wheeling, and maybe once I get down there I can help you out with some wrenching.. granted it will be after you get your current stuff done and worked through.. but never hurts to have folks to work with and help each other out..

Dredwolf
08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I think building any vehicle, especially once for off road use, is always a never ending battle and ongoing process.. Can't wait till I can get down where there is good wheeling, and maybe once I get down there I can help you out with some wrenching.. granted it will be after you get your current stuff done and worked through.. but never hurts to have folks to work with and help each other out..

Given how WEEKS/MONTHS pass between time/$/parts for wrenching on the XJ, I will guarantee I will still have stuff to do.

07Negative
08-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Given how WEEKS/MONTHS pass between time/$/parts for wrenching on the XJ, I will guarantee I will still have stuff to do.

Story of my life!

bluedragon436
08-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Then again I guess I should have thought about it.. Jeeps always need some love and attention, and the builds are never done!! LOL.. So once I get down there I'll give you a hand when & where I can... and def look forward to meeting up with folks to wheel with.. Might not have an XJ (for now anyways)(or I might, guess we'll see), but I'm still down for wheeling and wrenching fun regardless!!

Dredwolf
08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
"Love and attention"........from some of the words I have used while working on my XJ, an observer would have a difficult time considering those woulds affectionate. :cool:

@#&(@/#@/ing piece of @$@$&(%=@$$$@# metal that is @#*$#@$/ driving me @$/#*(# crazy!!!!

I can say I have NOT shot the XJ yet or deliberately set it on fire......but I have thought about it.