PDA

View Full Version : Comeup Brand Winches?

abebehrmann
06-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Anyone ever heard about these/ used them? Not in the market for a winch just yet but saw someone selling one on CL down here and had never heard of them. Wondering if anyone had any input.

http://www.alphaexpedition.com/comeup-dv-9i-winch-12v-9-000-lbs/

http://www.comeupwinch.com/pro/index.php?cid=102&f=102#.U6xc-rHDV_F

rabies
06-26-2014, 12:55 PM
never heard of it. theres more cost effective winchs that can pull the same or more and they are quality brands

bluedragon436
06-27-2014, 04:03 AM
Can't say I've ever heard of them.. And for the price don't see how they expect to get sales, especially for the fact of you can pick up another name brand about the same...

Philxj4L
06-27-2014, 04:28 AM
A lot of Chinese/non branded winches come out of the same factories as the big name winches, that said, there are some total dogs on the market. The motor and solenoids are what will let you down. Look for the biggest HP motor, and at a minimum, an Albright solenoid.
The winch I've fitted is non branded, but is made in the same factory as one of the best selling winches in Australia, it has a 6.6hp motor and cooler, with a fully sealed and waterproofed 500A TG Thompson soloniid. These are now being used as a replacement for Albrights. It also came complete with sealed wireless remote. I picked it up new inc P&P for just under £220
Best advice is look for the highest spec you can get for your budget, preferably with full spares/parts back up. I would recommend spending a bit if cash in a TG soloniid, they are bigger than most, but the contractors are massive and will last well.

bad luck
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I just bought one of those winches last week when I was up in Portland, Ore. I purchased it through a dealer and picked up the winch from the U.S. distributor in Wilsonville, Ore. I will let you know how I like it, after I get it installed and try it out. These have much higher quality control than the Chinese winches, they are built in a factory in Taiwan, not China. They have a lifetime warranty, and carry all spare parts in stock. They are supposed to be just as high quality as Warn, I guess we'll see.

denverd1
06-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I picked up engo last year that's been pretty good so far. I haven't beat on it too hard yet, but its worked when I needed it to. Did really well in a fairly unbiased product test comparing some big name winches with a few one-offs. Its a 10K winch and I think I paid 350'ish. has a wireless remote that's been hit and miss (I keep leaving it on...)

wish I knew about the solenoid stuff when I bought it.....

here's a pic of the guts:
http://billswebspace.com/jeep173.jpg

bluedragon436
06-27-2014, 10:42 AM
I just bought one of those winches last week when I was up in Portland, Ore. I purchased it through a dealer and picked up the winch from the U.S. distributor in Wilsonville, Ore. I will let you know how I like it, after I get it installed and try it out. These have much higher quality control than the Chinese winches, they are built in a factory in Taiwan, not China. They have a lifetime warranty, and carry all spare parts in stock. They are supposed to be just as high quality as Warn, I guess we'll see.

Look forward to seeing your review of this unit after you have gotten a chance to really try it out.. Now you said they carry all spare parts in stock, who are you referring too, the distributor you picked it up from or what??

Philxj4L
06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
This is the difference between the TG Thompson and the old type this company use.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/486C3512-C507-4D90-ADD9-C068E66C88EA_zps1mc00rpm.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/486C3512-C507-4D90-ADD9-C068E66C88EA_zps1mc00rpm.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Hmmmm, that is food for thought. Those one way or two way solenoids?

Philxj4L
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM
2 way. :) I stripped out the solenoid box, fitted the wireless remote in the engine bay, and mounted the solenoid itself in the back of the winch bumper, and then covered all the contacts in mastic type stuff.
The company who sell the winch I have, use them on their own challenge truck.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2014, 04:35 PM
I really like this. I have a Milemarker winch with lousy solenoids in it I was going to mount on the rear. I like this one piece approach. How much for these?

cantab27
06-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Got a winch never used it ... Get what ya pay for .. Service the winch on a regular time frame .... My old ricer one went ok with good up keep ...

Philxj4L
06-27-2014, 05:14 PM
This is the UK company, they say in the listing that they don't post to the US or Canadaq, due to issues with the carrier this end. You may be able to track them down from a US seller, or contact this company and ask if there's anything you can work out on shipping. They're friendly guys and helpful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-500amp-WINCH-SOLENOID-BEST-UPGRADE-AVAILABLE-/281104095511?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41731c1917

bad luck
06-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Look forward to seeing your review of this unit after you have gotten a chance to really try it out.. Now you said they carry all spare parts in stock, who are you referring too, the distributor you picked it up from or what??
I was referring to the distributor in Oregon where I picked the winch up. I bought it from a dealer in Arizona though. But I am sure he doesn't carry any spare parts for them. Rod at the distrubutor warehouse told me that these use controllers not solenoids. He said they are much better than using solenoids, as I have never used a winch and am no expert on them I will just wait and see. These are supposed to be waterproof though, and they are available with synthetic rope and a wireless remote. But I decided not to get either, as I will probably forget to keep fresh batteries in the remote, and would probably tear up a synthetic rope. The thing that sold me ,on these winches is the brake, it is rated for the weight rating of the winch, which I guess a lot of winches aren't. And the brake is outside the drum, which allows the drum to run cooler which is supposed to be good if I ever decide to put synthetic rope on it.

Dredwolf
06-27-2014, 11:04 PM
I was referring to the distributor in Oregon where I picked the winch up. I bought it from a dealer in Arizona though. But I am sure he doesn't carry any spare parts for them. Rod at the distrubutor warehouse told me that these use controllers not solenoids. He said they are much better than using solenoids, as I have never used a winch and am no expert on them I will just wait and see. These are supposed to be waterproof though, and they are available with synthetic rope and a wireless remote. But I decided not to get either, as I will probably forget to keep fresh batteries in the remote, and would probably tear up a synthetic rope. The thing that sold me ,on these winches is the brake, it is rated for the weight rating of the winch, which I guess a lot of winches aren't. And the brake is outside the drum, which allows the drum to run cooler which is supposed to be good if I ever decide to put synthetic rope on it.
Bob,

Good luck with it!

I think a issue of Petersen's did a review on one of the ComeUp models, they indicated the brand had been around awhile, but was not known in the US.