PDA

View Full Version : Whine from A/C unit

Midknight
06-25-2014, 11:55 PM
I started my Jeep tonight and heard a whine coming from the engine. I popped the hood and found that my A/C unit id turning over whining, then turning off. Has anyone had this problem?

Mudderoy
06-26-2014, 05:39 AM
I started my Jeep tonight and heard a whine coming from the engine. I popped the hood and found that my A/C unit id turning over whining, then turning off. Has anyone had this problem?

I have to ask, it's not the belt slipping and squealing? The belt being too lose is a pretty common problem.

Carves
06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Might be belt tension .... or maybe the pulley bearing.

Compressor Clutch ....

provide the means to engage and disengage the compressor from the engine serpentine accessory drive belt.
When the clutch coil is energized, it magnetically draws the clutch into contact
with the pulley and drives the compressor shaft.
When the coil is not energized, the pulley freewheels on the clutch hub bearing, which is part of the pulley.
The compressor clutch and coil are the only serviced parts on the compressor.

Midknight
06-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Its not the belt, I can see it turn as it makes noise, then it stops turning and the noise goes away

4.3LXJ
06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
A question for you, have you been recharging a leaking system somewhat frequently?

Midknight
07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
I have not done anything to it, I was thinking of recharging it though

4.3LXJ
07-08-2014, 11:26 PM
The reason I ask is that if a system leaks, it gets low on oil. But if you are recharging, get the refrigerant with oil in it

dagod16
07-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Yep mine did that. I recharged it and the noise did not go away. I am not going to replace the AC compressor until it is totally dead so it squeaks once in a while.